Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new, and just got a 16' ST3 (new), so question. What are the first 5 or so mods to do first and in what order? Could be performance minded or economically minded doesn't matter, all ideas are good!

P.S. Symopser is a royal pain IMHO... Mine could use a good clay bar :)

(moderators please move to correct group if needed, sorry)

Coleo

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi,

I'm new, and just got a 16' ST3 (new), so question. What are the first 5 or so mods to do first and in what order? Could be performance minded or economically minded doesn't matter, all ideas are good!

P.S. Symopser is a royal pain IMHO... Mine could use a good clay bar :)

(moderators please move to correct group if needed, sorry)

Coleo
here's a link to a video we did about first mods. Give it a watch

BooSTed Aspirations

·
Registered
629 Posts
rear motor mount
remove airbox lid for turbo noises
intercooler
accessport
short shift plate
solid in-car shifter bushings
solid transmission shifter bushings
downpipe
catback if you want noise

·
Registered
371 Posts
Cobb access port
Drop in filter
Rear motor mount
short shift plate
front mount if budget is in check

BOOOM perfect daily driver/fun car!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Pretty much following suite, most others will agree.

RMM
Front Mount Intercooler
Drop in air filter
Short Shift Plate OR Downpipe (preference where you wanna focus here. Downpipe puts you at a stage 3 car, if not then short shift is super nice)
Accessport (buy it from a tuner like Stratified/Panda/etc so you get a free flash tune from them specifically for your mods. A lot better than off the shelf cobb maps)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Better Tires
Better shocks or coilovers
Intercooler
Tial Q or HKS Bov/chargepipe
Accessport and tune

In that order (just my own opinion) for a fun comfortable daily driver that is capable and not too obnoxious.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Symposer delete first. Then figure out your end goal and do one area of the car at a time. My advice is to do all your power mods within a short period of time, this includes getting​ an Accessport with custom tune. This way you get custom tuning and don't have to buy it more than once. Assuming you're not going big turbo or wmi, and that you don't care for bling factor, maybe something in this order:

Symposer delete.
Intake, shift arm, install AP.
Intercooler.
RMM, Downpipe (or turboback).

Yeah, that's seven.

·
Registered
36 Posts
FRPP Tune
FMIC
CAI
LED lighting
Weighted Shift Knob

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sort out your end game first. That way you are not throwing money at stuff you later regret. If your budget is larger than most start with the LSD and get the traction under control before you add power and eat brake pads and tires. An access port will open up a world of options for you. I ordered mine through stratified because whenever you order new parts they include a free flash tune. While not overly expensive to order a tune on it's own, saving 25-30$ per tune adds up in the end. Then go with what your goals are, show/go or both. I would also recommend a kleenex dispenser to wipe up your Honda buddies tears.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went with the following order:
RMM
Shifter setup
AP
FMIC
Turboback

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I did Cobb Air Filter, dead pedal, and resonator delete within the first 24 hours.
Stubby antenna, Turbosmart BOV, shortly after.
I guess that counts as 5.
Since then I did JDL Catback exhaust, JBR PCV OCC and Symposer delete, I wish I did the OCC and symposer delete first! symposer delete is so nice on the ears.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mine were, in no order...

-Light rims
-Shift knob
-BOV
-Cobb AP
-Straight pipe (after cat)

Practical things not for performance, that I really needed for safety etc. were winter tires/rims and dash cam. Saved my butt. Mudflaps good for the dirty/sandy/gravel/snow filled roads 6-7 months of the year here.

I just need RMM, sort out the shifter to be more how I want it, and definitely FMIC. I'd be happy with my car for a long time at that "Stage 2" range for a daily driver as long as I can rock this thing. Engine goes, wheels fall off...whatever the case may be. lol

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sort out your end game first. That way you are not throwing money at stuff you later regret. If your budget is larger than most start with the LSD and get the traction under control before you add power and eat brake pads and tires. An access port will open up a world of options for you. I ordered mine through stratified because whenever you order new parts they include a free flash tune. While not overly expensive to order a tune on it's own, saving 25-30$ per tune adds up in the end. Then go with what your goals are, show/go or both. I would also recommend a kleenex dispenser to wipe up your Honda buddies tears.
100%

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quoting again just to help drive home the point made here.

Figure out what you want, if your budget allows an LSD, that is one of the best mods that can be made to our platform.

As for me, I'm rolling stock with the Warranty, just do what is right for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I second an lsd, should have really come with it from the factory. If I recall correctly the mfactory unit is like $650. Aside from that an intercooler, and motor mounts are 100% necessary if you're modding

1 - 20 of 42 Posts