Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the forum but I just went to a place where I just had to share. This post is long but the journey is worth every gallon of gas.

Woke up yesterday and decided to do something random. Currently I reside in Pennsylvania and am moving back to Tennessee in June. There's not much going on where I am in Pennsylvania so I figured I'd drive the whole state of West Virginia, I miss the mountains. I was tired of looking at flat land and watching grass grow while drinking beer. The roads were incredible, especially the one that goes east into Monterey, Virginia. I had no cell phone service 90% of the trip. I just drove with a couple "holy crap that's gorgeous," stops along the way. While on the drive I ended up checking out Spruce Knob, Seneca Rocks, and crossed the Eastern Contintental Divide.

US 33 from Weston, WV to Elkins, WV (Gets you into the heart of the mountains)

I intended taking US 33 the whole way through but made a spontaneous decision to turn and end up on US 250 at Elkins. I saw an E92 M3 and a C7 following each other and just figured I'd follow them because they knew where the fun was. Unfortunately and Fortunately, they pulled into private drive and I just figured I'd keep going don't be this stretch.

I had about half a tank at this point and didn't want to risk it. I'm so glad I filled up because the gas stations are sparse, so fill up once US 250 splits into US 219. There's an Exon that has good fuel there and a Subway if you want to grab a bite to eat.

US 250 gets you right into a National Forest and you climb 4,000 feet up some fun twisties. I liked this climb, definitely one for the top 10 for me.

I needed to give my car a break after I left the National Forest. There's an over look that has so great views. It's right after a bridge and some railroad tracks.

From there you'll drive to Monterey, VA via US 250. The twisty roads from Durbin, WV to Monterey, VA are designed by a genius. I'm from Tennessee and I've never seen so many fast corners I could redline third on, or so many twisties that second and third became rivals on who got more attention. See the google maps screen shot below. If you're a semi truck driver and you've delivered on this road before please send me your autograph.

You get cell service again once you hit Virginia. Monterey, VA looked like a town I'd take my girlfriend on a "weekend" date. Very cute and genuine.

Finally shoot up north via US 220 towards Senaca Rocks/Spruce Knob. You will lose cell service once you leave Monterey.

Just an FYI if you go up to Spruce Knob the road was paved but littered with gravel left over from the snow melt and was definitely closer to being a service road.

Return to US 33 to Elkins, WV.

Some cool pictures are attached. Oh yeah, I saw zero police, so going fast isn't an issue. Just keep in mind once you enter Virginia they have a speed camera there. It's on a telephone pole.

This ride is gorgeous, if anyone wants to do a planned drive I'm down. I've got an extra handheld CB radio since cell phone communication is going to be non existent. Just send me a PM, I'm seriously bored out of my mind in NW Pennsylvania. I bought this car with moving back to Tennessee in mind.

One mention to you before you do this trip, there are several miles that have greater than a 7% grade downhill so check your brake fluid or flush.

* I edited to fix a couple of iPhone autocorrects*

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
I feel your fun. Trips like that are what this car s made for. I live in Prescott AZ. Surrounded by mountains. Curves just minutes away. One of my favorites is Mingus MTN. 158 curves in 12 miles. 2 thru 3rd compete all the way up? oh did I forget to mention is a 2 owner with 100-200ft drop offs.?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for sharing, really cool to see something like this.

I'm going up to Eaglesmere PA(Just south of the poconos) in a month from NJ. Its going to be about a 4 hour drive and there are a ton of cool downhill/uphill twistys that my st is craving to tackle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did like the roads out in WV. I was surprised the roads were decent considering how far out in country I was. I think Eaglesmere, PA is near SR125 I've heard I need to check out that road before I move back down to Tennessee.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts