Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to SA raceway and it was going on! LOTS of cars! Finally i got to see some Focus ST's there and wondered how they stood up against my car. Went around talking to other guys and what they had, one was stage 3 Cobb, one stage 2, there was me ( FRPP), and a stock 2015. I payed really close attention to mphs and ETs as I was curious as how they'd stack up against my FRPP... (conditions 73*, no wind, mild humidity)

no one broke into the 13s...=/

From what i was told the first car had a 2014 stage 3 tune by torie on e80, had lowered suspension, Nittos on a different rim on the front (im assuming NT555?) he ran twice 15.3 at 99.00... the pass second he bogged the launch and ran an 18 or something

Stage 2 car: 14.6 @ 98.50

Stock car: 14.6 @ 96.5 (really good driver)

My car FRPP tune/ intake, sway bar, MM, Depo intercooler, stock tires to 28 psi : best 14.3 at 100.03 2.25 60ft

Kinda shocked at 1: I thought the stage 3 cars would be WAY faster (removing driver mod, as the car is difficult to launch) the MPH was a shade undermine as my ST made the fastest pass and 2: why are these cars NOT responding to mods very well...at least in tranlation to trap speeds and E.Ts. I though FOR SUre someone was going to break into the 13.99s

I mean a tune, FMIC, MM, only is 3-3.5 mph faster through the trap then stock??? that sounds crazy

Im like "is that it???" Next to installing a big turbo am i tapped ?? I liked the 100mph pass , but I was hoping that the stage 3 would net 4-5 mph passes over mine... but nope. im kinda bummed

I also understand that this car is not made for drag racing but those trap speeds over stock isnt a lot given all thats been done to these cars. These were times netted in the exact same conditions (i understand some of you will say: "well mine went 105 mph on a stage 2"... BUT those were different conditions on a different track. All these cars were here on the same night on the same track and trap speeds are rarely skewed because of driver, unless the driver is Unbelievably bad, and these guys that I met didnt seem like horrible drivers)

·
Registered
218 Posts
- There has been many who have broken into the 13's at >100mph on a stock car.
- These cars don't respond much to mods because the turbo is tiny.

Beyond that I don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yea track prep and weather can play a big roll. My car when it only had an intake and ots 93 tune ran a flat 9 with a 2.2 60' on the 1/8th. Keeping that pace its a 14s pass. So with better tires and a lower 60' i can see 13s with these cars no problem at all. Im actually excited to see what ill do with this new fswerks tune and full exhaust

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
- There has been many who have broken into the 13's at >100mph on a stock car.
- These cars don't respond much to mods because the turbo is tiny.

Beyond that I don't know what to tell you.
What? Times in the signature. 15-16 degrees of timing advance, 220 coolant temps and still ran 102.4, stock inter-cooler.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Also times are gonna be highly dependent on traction and driver reactions

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Reaction time has nothing to do with it, you could be there all day. Lots of turbo cars during testing sit there to spool up the turbo, it does not impact ET or MPH.

Traction? On Street Tires = Pointless, I run slicks see times below.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yea track prep and weather can play a big roll. My car when it only had an intake and ots 93 tune ran a flat 9 with a 2.2 60' on the 1/8th. Keeping that pace its a 14s pass. So with better tires and a lower 60' i can see 13s with these cars no problem at all. Im actually excited to see what ill do with this new fswerks tune and full exhaust
The least I would run is Nitto NT-555R Drag Radials, but since you have to buy new wheels anyway if you have a late '14 build/'15/'16/'17 just pay a little more and get slicks.

Slicks won't wheel hop, so no need for stiffer mounts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, i understand that E.T. times vary, I get that. What got me was the stock @ 96 mph The COBB Stage 3 custom @ 99.98 and my FRPP tune at 100. Im kinda bummed that the COBB stage 3 custom tune was only 4 more mph over stock... thats barley any gain for what you do to the car. And I was thinking that a stage 3 would be 3 or 4 mph over my FRPP tune but its just about the same so there'd be next to no benefit going cobb, if the out put is the same as to what i have now. It seems like the the FRPP and Stage 3 are about the same; I thought there'd be more gains to be had. Im bummed that it seems this motor is tapped out unless you get into a big turbo or internals. (Hence my focus on trap speeds not E.T.'s)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in other words i was hoping to see

Stock - 96

FRPP tune - 100

Cobb custom stage 3- 103-104 (didnt happen. Reality- 99 mph =/)

as Trap speed is an indicator of power.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Went to SA raceway and it was going on! LOTS of cars! Finally i got to see some Focus ST's there and wondered how they stood up against my car. Went around talking to other guys and what they had, one was stage 3 Cobb, one stage 2, there was me ( FRPP), and a stock 2015. I payed really close attention to mphs and ETs as I was curious as how they'd stack up against my FRPP... (conditions 73*, no wind, mild humidity)

no one broke into the 13s...=/

From what i was told the first car had a 2014 stage 3 tune by torie on e80, had lowered suspension, Nittos on a different rim on the front (im assuming NT555?) he ran twice 15.3 at 99.00... the pass second he bogged the launch and ran an 18 or something

Stage 2 car: 14.6 @ 98.50

Stock car: 14.6 @ 96.5 (really good driver)

My car FRPP tune/ intake, sway bar, MM, Depo intercooler, stock tires to 28 psi : best 14.3 at 100.03 2.25 60ft

Kinda shocked at 1: I thought the stage 3 cars would be WAY faster (removing driver mod, as the car is difficult to launch) the MPH was a shade undermine as my ST made the fastest pass and 2: why are these cars NOT responding to mods very well...at least in tranlation to trap speeds and E.Ts. I though FOR SUre someone was going to break into the 13.99s

I mean a tune, FMIC, MM, only is 3-3.5 mph faster through the trap then stock??? that sounds crazy

Im like "is that it???" Next to installing a big turbo am i tapped ?? I liked the 100mph pass , but I was hoping that the stage 3 would net 4-5 mph passes over mine... but nope. im kinda bummed

I also understand that this car is not made for drag racing but those trap speeds over stock isnt a lot given all thats been done to these cars. These were times netted in the exact same conditions (i understand some of you will say: "well mine went 105 mph on a stage 2"... BUT those were different conditions on a different track. All these cars were here on the same night on the same track and trap speeds are rarely skewed because of driver, unless the driver is Unbelievably bad, and these guys that I met didnt seem like horrible drivers)
No mass produced car is made for drag racing that's one of those ridiculous statements that needs to tabled immediately.

Car built specifically for drag racing = Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt, Google it. Ford also builds the Cobra Jet Mustang specifically for NHRA Super Stock

As I understand it San Antonio Raceway is better than decent, so that isn't your problem.

Here your problems in order for importance -

1) TIRES! Your life will be made much easier buying slicks. With an electric impact, torque wrench and aluminum jack, it takes me 10-15 mins to change back and forth. I switched over to spline lugs because the chrome cover on the factory lug nuts strip easy.

2) Fuel! Why on earth are you going to the track on pump gas? Is there some point your trying to prove? The extra oxygen in E85, even when mixed down to 30% increases power without running more boost.

Since you are on the Ford tune you are stuck.

a) Go pick up a 5 gallon pail of VP C9. It's mainly designed for 4 stroke motorcycles but works well with cars with fixed tunes such as the Ford.
b) The FRPP tune might spike 25 psi but by 6,000 rpm it will be down to 12-13 psi. Do the waste gate mod, by maxing out the pre-load. You'll find it in the How-To section. I'm at 15-16 psi by 6,000, worth 1.7 mph trap increase.
c) Shift where the shift light comes on, I think it's 5900 rpm on the Ford tune.

Slicks -

Starting pressure 12 psi. Go with 10 psi cold and see what they are after a pass. 1st gear burnout, bounce off the rev-limiter count to 5 and let go of the e-brake.

Launch between 4,000-5,000 rpm, side step the clutch and floor it.

If prep is half way decent it will run 1.7x

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
in other words i was hoping to see

Stock - 96

FRPP tune - 100

Cobb custom stage 3- 103-104 (didnt happen. Reality- 99 mph =/)

as Trap speed is an indicator of power.
[email protected] = Stage 3 on E30

*3rd pass

Same car ran 108 mph

M/T Drag Radials (no longer available) requires 16" wheels, won't fit late '14/'15/'16 or '17 MY Focus ST

Slicks will do better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Those numbers sound about right maybe a little high. You figure going from stock (230hp) to stage 3 (260-270hp). 40 hp is about 4/10 of a second. Your best bet is slicks. If you can cut 10+ lbs per wheel with stage 3 and do all the free weight reductions you can probably get it down to the 13.5 to 13.7 range on quality street tires. Big turbo is the only way you are going to see big horsepower. Hopefully Alec @ Stratified can get the Puma Speed turbo tuned so we have a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Those numbers sound about right maybe a little high. You figure going from stock (230hp) to stage 3 (260-270hp). 40 hp is about 4/10 of a second. Your best bet is slicks. If you can cut 10+ lbs per wheel with stage 3 and do all the free weight reductions you can probably get it down to the 13.5 to 13.7 range on quality street tires. Big turbo is the only way you are going to see big horsepower. Hopefully Alec @ Stratified can get the Puma Speed turbo tuned so we have a cheaper alternative.
I ran [email protected] with too much air in the slicks (2.14 60'). Later when the sun went down the track got cold and I didn't do long enough burnout. The result was instant wheel spin off the line (2.20 60') [email protected]

Both 60' are similar to what would happen on street tires, the only difference being that I'm sure the car would bark street tires on the 1-2 shift which would loose you time in 330.

I may do some weight reduction this time but I rather see how the car runs and keep the configuration as-is until I know it's current level of performance has peaked.

If people are going to hit the track they should really invest in some drag oriented tires. There's no debate about this in auto cross but there is resistance to this when talking about drag racing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
So since someone mentioned 16" wheels and slicks. My spare is a 16" so im guessing i can run 16" drag wheels in the right offset? What size slick should i hunt for

1 - 16 of 16 Posts