·
Registered
560 Posts
Reactions: SacST

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
752 Posts
You will not be disappointed. Brian's great to work with and gave me a whole lot more torque than it had with the stock tune. Datalogs <-- info on my tuning process. Be aware I'm at 5200' in elevation, so the O2 levels are likely higher where you're at (unless you're in the Rockies) and you'll make more power. Also, after some research I found that the octane I'm getting when paying for 91 at these stupid shared-hose pumps is likely in the high 89 range thanks to the 1.5-2 gallons of 85 octane garbage in the line and holding tank inside the pump when I fill up with ~9.5 gallons. So, high elevation + crappy gas, and he still got me to 336 ft/lbs according to the vdyno chart. Negative corrections are still only in the -.5 to -.7 range and positives go to 4.+ without any trouble.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will not be disappointed. Brian's great to work with and gave me a whole lot more torque than it had with the stock tune. Datalogs <-- info on my tuning process. Be aware I'm at 5200' in elevation, so the O2 levels are likely higher where you're at (unless you're in the Rockies) and you'll make more power. Also, after some research I found that the octane I'm getting when paying for 91 at these stupid shared-hose pumps is likely in the high 89 range thanks to the 1.5-2 gallons of 85 octane garbage in the line and holding tank inside the pump when I fill up with ~9.5 gallons. So, high elevation + crappy gas, and he still got me to 336 ft/lbs according to the vdyno chart. Negative corrections are still only in the -.5 to -.7 range and positives go to 4.+ without any trouble.
I’m excited. Heard good things across the board about Brian, so I figured it was well worth it. Fortunately I’m only at 30’ elevation, but I do live in California, so it’ll be interesting to see what I manage with mediocre fuel. If, at the very least, make what you’ve put down, I’ll be happy. Thanks for the charts, btw!

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
752 Posts
YW. What mods do you have on the car? I'm practically at FBO less the cat-back, although it does have a resonator delete on it.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YW. What mods do you have on the car? I'm practically at FBO less the cat-back, although it does have a resonator delete on it.
Intake, catless, highflow muffler, kompact bov, colder plugs are on the way and a few other irrelevant ones. Only thing I’m missing right now is an intercooler, which I’m working on.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
752 Posts
You honestly need to get the intercooler installed before you start tuning, IMO. That will severely limit your power-making ability. On the stock intercooler I would see the charge temps climb 50 degrees or more on a 3rd gear run. With the ESP intercooler I have on it now, they climb like 4-5. How close are you to saving up for one?

Looks like the ESP intercoolers are currently sold out (not surprised as they go quickly when he builds a batch), but Depo or others may have them in stock.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went ahead and bought a Depo. Didn’t realize he was restocked, so I should be good.

Reactions: rob99rt and bp86

·
Registered
560 Posts
Your at 60'?? Bay Area?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: bp86

·
Registered
162 Posts
I’m excited. Heard good things across the board about Brian, so I figured it was well worth it. Fortunately I’m only at 30’ elevation, but I do live in California, so it’ll be interesting to see what I manage with mediocre fuel. If, at the very least, make what you’ve put down, I’ll be happy. Thanks for the charts, btw!
If you're in sac, there's E85 pumps in the area. I lived in Sac off of Howe and would use the E85 pump by Home Depot and Wendy's to do my 91/e30 blend.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're in sac, there's E85 pumps in the area. I lived in Sac off of Howe and would use the E85 pump by Home Depot and Wendy's to do my 91/e30 blend.
I work off Howe/Power Inn. Know exactly which one you’re talking about. There’s also one down by Florin.

Reactions: MK3Stef

·
Registered
162 Posts
I work off Howe/Power Inn. Know exactly which one you’re talking about. There’s also one down by Florin.
Yup that's the one! I lived there for five years so when I left the area I missed the E85 pump haha closest one was a half hour drive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of pulling the trigger on the same purchase. So far mods include: Injen Short Ram pipe, Thermal R&D catback, StopTech Drilled slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads, Radium Engineering catch cans, Wing Riser. To Do List: Tune, AirTech Intercooler ,Short throw shifter (leaning towards Hurst), rear engine mount.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been toying with the idea of pulling the trigger on the same purchase. So far mods include: Injen Short Ram pipe, Thermal R&D catback, StopTech Drilled slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads, Radium Engineering catch cans, Wing Riser. To Do List: Tune, AFE Intercooler ,Short throw shifter (leaning towards Hurst), rear engine mount.
Do it. I’ve heard nothing but good things. You’ll definitely need the intercooler (as stated above) and the RMM is a must for wheel hop.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
752 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of pulling the trigger on the same purchase. So far mods include: Injen Short Ram pipe, Thermal R&D catback, StopTech Drilled slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads, Radium Engineering catch cans, Wing Riser. To Do List: Tune, AFE Intercooler ,Short throw shifter (leaning towards Hurst), rear engine mount.
When you say "short throw shifter", are you wanting to shorten the throws only, or are you wanting to shorten the throws AND decrease the height of the stock shifter? You can do the former easily with a JBR short shift arm: JBR. I run mine at the 20% reduction and it helps tremendously. You'll also want to get the cable end bushings, either from JBR or somebody else. That helped way more than the shifter base and cable bracket bushings, IMO. He has a weighted set that look interesting: shifter cable bushings

You can cut down your shifter as well, but you'll need to rethread it with a 12x1.25 die (12X1.25 Die). I did this about 8 months ago and it's been working great. Love the lower height. shortened-shifter how-to

Reactions: SacST and bp86

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup that's the one! I lived there for five years so when I left the area I missed the E85 pump haha closest one was a half hour drive.
Pretty much the only reason I pulled the trigger on the e30 tune; I don’t have to go out of my way to fill-up.

Reactions: MK3Stef

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pretty much the only reason I pulled the trigger on the e30 tune; I don’t have to go out of my way to fill-up.
You'll never want to go back! The torque is amazing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been reading about the short throw kits out there. I'm not so sure about the lower/shorter actual shifter. I don't mind the current height of the shifter. I have been looking at the Hurst vs the boomba kit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts