Votes: 1 5.9%
  • You get 31+ mpg... a tune is wasted on you

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,384 Posts
Btw, Deuce, what do you mean by "wild on power delivery" with a stock tune and the wga tightened up?
Not smooth, like wild tire shredding power band. Smooth is driveable, without it being smoothed out, its like a 2 stroke with a power band. Which is exaserbated by the turbo.

So, its a slug. Then all of a sudden you spool, torque steer, traction loss, try to keep her straight.

It's not plesant. Im talking a full tune stage three with tb and wga adjust. On factory tuning though, it may not be bad, but you are losing a ****ton through that neutered tuning anyway. So ignorance is bliss in that config.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Not smooth, like wild tire shredding power band. Smooth is driveable, without it being smoothed out, its like a 2 stroke with a power band. Which is exaserbated by the turbo.

So, its a slug. Then all of a sudden you spool, torque steer, traction loss, try to keep her straight.

It's not plesant. Im talking a full tune stage three with tb and wga adjust. On factory tuning though, it may not be bad, but you are losing a ****ton through that neutered tuning anyway. So ignorance is bliss in that config.
Looks like the 2.3 kit (with the TB) through Damond is back-ordered at least into June, so if I could find a TB locally for not a lot of cash that would be helpful. Of course, looks like Tasca and Pfeiffer have it for around $107, though, so that's not bad. So, maybe $190 after shipping for TB and the kit, even if I have to order online... not too bad.

At that point, all I'd need would be the Stratified custom tune and to turn up the WGA (maybe, if it didn't make me too knock-prone).

The BT idea is growing on me, but that might be more than I want to bite off for a DD. It'd probably not help my mileage at all with it, and since I spend most of my time below 50 mph anyway, any power gains would likely go up in smoke with tirespin once it spooled up a bit if I got one that was a quicker-spooling unit. On ramps would be hilarious, sure, but there's only 1 each way. Still, though, the 3rd gear pulls I've seen on the BT cars just looks like a ton of fun. On the flip side of that argument, the only real experience I've had with a BT ST was destroying one at a light last summer. I pulled up beside the guy and we chatted a bit while it was red. His last words to me before we ran was "so, do you want to see what a big turbo ST can do?". I was expecting him to kill me, but I think I walked away about 3 car lengths before the gap started to close up any. The stock turbo just seems to do pretty darn well for stop-light stuff under 60 mph. There's driver differences too, and who knows if the guy actually knew how to drive or not, but I was definitely not impressed by what he had for a setup. He said his mileage was in the low 20's, also, while mine at the time was around 34 on that tank.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well I got the TB traction bar installed this morning and finally had a chance to romp in it a bit after I took one of my boys to work.

First gear had no hop at all, and second had one quick bounce and then hooked up well. I was on asphalt at the time, and it's kinda humid today, so it might have been the problem. Either way, it was so nice to not have it bounce like crazy anymore through first and second. Definitely a huge help.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So the BT idea is growing on me a bit, but the cost is still WAY up there... I know a lot of guys have run a BT setup for a while without any issues, but how is for a DD car that's going to see a lot of mileage? The thought of possibly helping with the LSPI issue is nice even though I run Amsoil Sig. series, which is supposed to protect really well against it. The questions I have for those with a BT daily driver are related to how it affects the "fun" factory on the car at lower speeds? Is lag a problem with the 2867R, and if so, would a 2860 or 2863 be a better option for a daily driver that's not going to get hammered on a lot? I'm not looking for huge HP numbers, but a driveability bump would be nice... I spend a lot of my time below 50 mph, but it does see some mountain driving. Also, I've read that the thinner air here should affect my decision on which turbo to go with since a unit at sea level is going to perform differently at a mile up.

Reactions: beretta96

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would get a AP3 with a free tune and see if you need a BT. For your driving habits, I doubt it and in fact I think it’ll surprise you how much power difference there is. You already have a stage 3 car, tune it and hold on! You have to get a AP for a BT anyway.

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You're probably right. The extra torque will likely be a huge contributor to a lot more fun on the commute. Question, though... I don't normally take off hard, and I tend to shift around when the light comes on (just by the sound of the engine), but I've heard that with a tune you really don't want to be shifting at the lower rpms due to increased risk of knocking.. since the tune changes how boost comes in earlier. Am I going to need to change how I drive a bit?

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
As always, I would defer to the gurus...but no, won’t have to change driving habits at all...except to maybe remind yourself that getting up to speed as quick as possible does NOT increase your fuel mileage 😂😂😂

·
Registered
223 Posts
No, it drives smoother then stock and you can drive easy and not get into boost. I forgot about the light lol, I had that turned off for so long now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
JST pro tune. You will not regret it. My focus is my DD and it runs better than stock. I average 28 mpg because sometimes you just wanna go. The extra torque is very nice when getting around cars on the road and when you hit steep inclines.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
JST pro tune. You will not regret it. My focus is my DD and it runs better than stock. I average 28 mpg because sometimes you just wanna go. The extra torque is very nice when getting around cars on the road and when you hit steep inclines.
I was thinking stratified instead of JST only because I'd heard that stratified was a bit "safer" tune since they didn't disable as many of the factory failsafe type things. Is that not the case?

I'm not trying to run the ragged edge of what's capable with the platform, only to get it a bit more driveable and get some extra oomph down low for around town

·
Super Moderator
8,384 Posts
I was thinking stratified instead of JST only because I'd heard that stratified was a bit "safer" tune since they didn't disable as many of the factory failsafe type things. Is that not the case?

I'm not trying to run the ragged edge of what's capable with the platform, only to get it a bit more driveable and get some extra oomph down low for around town
JST is nothing to be worried about. They have a very strong following, and tune tons of ST's. JST should have faster turn arounds and customer support than I remember strat having.

Do some more research, and see what each tuners current times, prices for revisions, charges for map reviews, etc.

I'm not bad mouthing anyone here, but Strat wouldn't be my first choice now adays. Nothing to do with reliability, just the other stuff I mentioned. I use Freektune, and with Justins big workloads, he's at a 7 day or less turn around, it used to be 3 days years ago. JST and Torrie seem to have the quickest responses, and no BS with nickle and diming over it. Torrie doesnt use AP3 though, if he did hed be tuning my Edge and my Focus.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
JST is nothing to be worried about. They have a very strong following, and tune tons of ST's. JST should have faster turn arounds and customer support than I remember strat having.

Do some more research, and see what each tuners current times, prices for revisions, charges for map reviews, etc.

I'm not bad mouthing anyone here, but Strat wouldn't be my first choice now adays. Nothing to do with reliability, just the other stuff I mentioned. I use Freektune, and with Justins big workloads, he's at a 7 day or less turn around, it used to be 3 days years ago. JST and Torrie seem to have the quickest responses, and no BS with nickle and diming over it. Torrie doesnt use AP3 though, if he did hed be tuning my Edge and my Focus.
So the jst custom tune is 690 with the AP and Stratified is 550 with one of their flash tunes. Ignorant question, but what do you get for that extra 140?

·
Super Moderator
8,384 Posts
So the jst custom tune is 690 with the AP and Stratified is 550 with one of their flash tunes. Ignorant question, but what do you get for that extra 140?
A full custom tune. Way better than a flash ots tune. Adjust your WG like your boy Duecey pointed out, and full tune. It'll be safer, and make more power. Custom all the way. OTS is for scrubs or inbetween mods, lmfao

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

You send your data log at 10 at night and have your revision waiting for you when you wake up in the morning that's what you get with Brian at jst👍. I also recommend tightening up the wastegate actuator preload. I was hitting about 25.4 pounds of boost during the revision process. Brian toned it down a little bit for the final revision. I also have all of the supporting mods including charge pipes and my mileage went up when I went to a stage 3 93 custom tune. Have not gotten the throttle body yet I'll have to look into that. I'm also going to have to look into the TB performance torque gusset brace the wheel hop is terrible. I would also recommend having him turn off the shift light you know how to drive it by that feeling sound of the engine. I also recommend having him take out the Rev hang it makes shifting fast much smoother.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Can JST give me a low boost map setting (that I can put it into when teaching my kids to drive a stick with the car)? How about a valet or anti theft map like Stratified? If so, then yeah, the custom tune for another 140 doesn't sound so bad.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Can JST give me a low boost map setting (that I can put it into when teaching my kids to drive a stick with the car)? How about a valet or anti theft map like Stratified? If so, then yeah, the custom tune for another 140 doesn't sound so bad.
Yes they can. I once asked Brian about it.

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I sent an email to JST's tuning address so I'll see what they say. Basically asked them if they can do a conservative-ish tune that will help the motor survive for years without any problems but still give me a decent power bump (even at this altitude with 91 octane), and if they can add in a lower-boost map (for teaching the kids to drive a stick on) as well as one for anti-theft. I still need to save up a few hundred bucks over the next month or so to afford it, but at least I'll get the ball rolling with them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I voted for the JST tune but if you don’t already have it you should get the TB rear 2 point traction bar. I have their 2 point front and rear bars and the rear one makes a HUGE difference in taming the liftoff oversteer. There’s still some there but it makes it so much more controlled.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I voted for the JST tune but if you don’t already have it you should get the TB rear 2 point traction bar. I have their 2 point front and rear bars and the rear one makes a HUGE difference in taming the liftoff oversteer. There’s still some there but it makes it so much more controlled.
I have a 4 point traction bar on the car already but I'll look at the rear bar as well. I think next on the list will be a tune/AP, though... Just have to save up for that one.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts