Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am happy with how the car handles and I don't want to do anything to make it stiffer/rougher riding, so no coil-overs or lowering springs are in my future...

I'm pretty set on engine air-flow related mods (filter, intake, FMIC, 3" catted DP, res delete), and while I could go with a freer flowing exhaust, it wouldn't change power much at all with the stock turbo, and would just change the sound (and possibly generate drone).

I love how it shifts now with the bushings, JBR shift arm, and the cut-down shift rod, so I don't think there's much more I can do with the shifter setup. The 4-point TB gusset traction bar will be here tomorrow, so that along with the new RMM should tame the wheelhop I've dealt with in the past, so at least I'll be able to get power to the ground.

At this point, am I looking for a tune as the next thing on the list? I'm not much for looks mods, so splitters, RS wings, etc aren't my cup of tea, although I did put risers on the wing to keep the rear window cleaner) . If it's a tune, I've looked at a Stratified flash tune and their estimate (at my altitude) was 255 hp and around 340 tq. There's a tuner local to me (Edge Auto Sports), but they want $225 for an e-tune on top of the AP, and that just seems pretty steep to me compared to the other tuners. I'm sure a tune would wake the car up considerably, but at the same time I would rather not potentially hurt the engine because of something stupid and be out money for a motor swap. I also plan to put well over 100K on this car since I'm driving about 17K a year with it. I don't drive like a moron (hence the 31+ mpg), but it would be nice to have some more "oomph" when needed.

So... save up for a tune and just do it and not worry about the powertrain warranty? Skip the tune for engine longevity and just save my cash for something else in the future? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Do you have any E85 stations around you? If yes, are you willing to give up some mpg for more power? Any of the tuners you listed are fine, just make sure whatever you go with you get refinements, aka you send them logs and they send you revisions. That will get you the best tune for your car and should be the safest in the long run. Are you saying you already have an aftermarket intake/intercooler/downpipe but you have not been tuned? Get on that asap

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any E85 stations around you? If yes, are you willing to give up some mpg for more power? Any of the tuners you listed are fine, just make sure whatever you go with you get refinements, aka you send them logs and they send you revisions. That will get you the best tune for your car and should be the safest in the long run. Are you saying you already have an aftermarket intake/intercooler/downpipe but you have not been tuned? Get on that asap
Not sure of E85 around me... I'll have to look. Yep, I've got all the supporting mods for a tune, but just haven't pulled the trigger on a tune yet. Wanted to have the things that make the tune safest to run before I got a tune. Thanks for the suggestions on the refinements. Going to assume that means a custom tune and not just the flash tunes?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Custom tune that caters the fmic, downpipe and step colder plugs.. some have gotten away with running off-the-shelf tunes thru Cobb Access Port but most recommend against them. I'm tuned thru JST on 91/E30 and full E85 as I also have a Radium 4 port aux fuel (preventative maintenance and future-proof for BT).. On full e85/stock turbo I dyno'd ~300whp and ~400wtq, E30 will be close to those numbers as well.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
There are lots of us on here (myself included) that are well beyond 100k now with both stock/near stock and heavily tuned motors, so a good tune should not give any concern at all on a sensibly driven FoST.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Custom tune that caters the fmic, downpipe and step colder plugs.. some have gotten away with running off-the-shelf tunes thru Cobb Access Port but most recommend against them. I'm tuned thru JST on 91/E30 and full E85 as I also have a Radium 4 port aux fuel (preventative maintenance and future-proof for BT).. On full e85/stock turbo I dyno'd ~300whp and ~400wtq, E30 will be close to those numbers as well.

Nice numbers, but at what elevation are you? I'm at 5200' which definitely hurts my power output. I looked around and found several E85 stations within 10 miles of my house, so that's definitely an option to consider. However, this is a commuter car that I occasionally get to romp on, so I don't know if the E85 or 91/E30 tunes would be a good investment for me. Forgot to mention earlier I'm already running a step colder NGK plugs, but I can't see in torque what my ignition corrections are on cylinder 1. From what I've read, that means the previous owner likely had a tune on it (of some sort) for at least part of its first 7000 miles since Torque can't read the default location for the PID correctly. My LOR/OAR has been -1.0 since the 2nd week I've had the car, though, as I've only fed it a steady diet of 91 octane.

·
Registered
994 Posts
No tune. Just go straight to big turbo then address the necessary tuning then. I'm really liking the idea of that Garrett Powermax, whenever it comes out.

Reactions: Martin

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No tune. Just go straight to big turbo then address the necessary tuning then. I'm really liking the idea of that Garrett Powermax, whenever it comes out.
8 kids man... I pay as much for food each month as I do for the house payment. No $ for big turbo. Once the SUV is paid off in another couple months I might have more $ to spend on the ST, but not right now anyway. Not thousands by a long shot.

Reactions: wingnutt

·
Registered
994 Posts
8 kids man... I pay as much for food each month as I do for the house payment. No $ for big turbo. Once the SUV is paid off in another couple months I might have more $ to spend on the ST, but not right now anyway. Not thousands by a long shot.
I was just looking at the long run- buy AP with custom tunes is around 700 when you buy new. Stratified has mentioned making a tune combo with that particular turbo. Almost seems not worth tuning now.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nice numbers, but at what elevation are you? I'm at 5200' which definitely hurts my power output. I looked around and found several E85 stations within 10 miles of my house, so that's definitely an option to consider. However, this is a commuter car that I occasionally get to romp on, so I don't know if the E85 or 91/E30 tunes would be a good investment for me. Forgot to mention earlier I'm already running a step colder NGK plugs, but I can't see in torque what my ignition corrections are on cylinder 1. From what I've read, that means the previous owner likely had a tune on it (of some sort) for at least part of its first 7000 miles since Torque can't read the default location for the PID correctly. My LOR/OAR has been -1.0 since the 2nd week I've had the car, though, as I've only fed it a steady diet of 91 octane.
Dyno'd at 270'.. but I live at 3300'.. and no stutter when pushing up thru canyons while on E85.. want oomf? Get an E30 tune.. you can still drive conservatively with it and manage 25mpgs.. i avg 20 on full E85, but it doesn't help driving 70+ one way and up a mountain going home... Hahah and it smells soooo good

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Super Moderator
8,384 Posts
Not sure of E85 around me... I'll have to look. Yep, I've got all the supporting mods for a tune, but just haven't pulled the trigger on a tune yet. Wanted to have the things that make the tune safest to run before I got a tune. Thanks for the suggestions on the refinements. Going to assume that means a custom tune and not just the flash tunes?
Tuning is night and day.

Go 2.3 tb, fully tighten the wga, and get a full tune. Car will be a torque monster. You'll want a lsd in no time, lmao

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tuning is night and day.

Go 2.3 tb, fully tighten the wga, and get a full tune. Car will be a torque monster. You'll want a lsd in no time, lmao
I still have the stock charge pipes. Would I need to get bigger pipes with the 2.3TB? Btw, is that the same size tb as the one on the 2.7EB engines?

I can't tighten up the WGA on the stock tune, can I?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would get a Strat tune with traction control, since you have all the parts anyway. I really like running E30 but it might be a pain mixing if you daily on it. Having E85 close by is good, because if you get a bad tank of gas you can throw 2 gallons in and be go to go.

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Registered
471 Posts
I still have the stock charge pipes. Would I need to get bigger pipes with the 2.3TB? Btw, is that the same size tb as the one on the 2.7EB engines?

Stock charge pipes are fine, it's the coupler to the 2.3TB from cold side pipe that needs to be replaced.. idk at the moment the dimensions of that coupler.. you will absolutely need a tune for maxing out that WG.

·
Super Moderator
8,384 Posts

Hmmm, i forget how it interacts with OEM cold side.

You can tighten the wga on a stock tune, but its going to be wild on the power delivery.

Best move. Contact the tuner of your choice. Get a base map with these mods included. Then do the mods after you have the base map in hand. You'll want to do fresh plugs, properly gapped as well.

Then, you have all the time you need to do the mods, and can be driving as soon as you do them. Limiting downtime. Afterwards, you can do all the datalogging and revisions without batting an eye.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You can tighten the wga on a stock tune, but its going to be wild on the power delivery.
Don't threaten me with a good time!

You got me thinking now. This doesn't throw an overboost code?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Don't threaten me with a good time!

You got me thinking now. This doesn't throw an overboost code?
Only one way to find out!

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tuning is night and day.

How much does the 2.3 TB contribute to the torque delivery? When I went from a 49 to a 55 mm tb on my Neon it definitely helped it breathe better, but that wasn't forced induction either. Is the TB a big bottleneck in the 2.0 EB?

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Btw, Deuce, what do you mean by "wild on power delivery" with a stock tune and the wga tightened up?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts