Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I hopped in the ST for a quick ride to get lunch. Soon as I hit the road I became very aware of a distinct whooshing sound as I took off, only under load, sounded like air, a vacuum line or one of the inter cooler hoses. Gotta say, I was a bit concerned. Drove it some more, around my neighborhood. Sure enough, very noticeable. Got home and drove her up on to the ramps, checked everything, found nothing. Then, it hit me.
I’d just had new tires installed yesterday. All the roads in my neighborhood had just been repaved last month. I hadn’t noticed yesterday coming home with the AC on and the radio way up. Brand new tires on fresh blacktop are making a very noticeable whooshing sound. Had me flummoxed :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't feel bad. I spent half a hour trying to find a clicking sounds coming from my tire only to figure out it was just a rock stuck in the tread. :-(

·
Registered
395 Posts
Don't feel bad. I spent half a hour trying to find a clicking sounds coming from my tire only to figure out it was just a rock stuck in the tread. :-(
I spent a similar amount of time looking for a scraping/scratching sound coming from the front driver wheel area only to find a leaf caught under the caliper in an empty space with the stem dragging on the edge of the rotor.

Reactions: poodledikc

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are the good problems to have. Very cheap to fix!
The upside is the ST got a good going-over/inspection. :)

And now that I know what it is, I don't mind hearing the whiiiiiish sound. New tires almost always make some kind of noise you're not use to, like a whine or a growl. This one had me thinking it was a vacuum line or chargepipe.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I had something similar with new tires but it was the left over sticky stuff from one of the tire labels. This was my second set of wheels, so i dropped them off at the shop and I put them on the car myself at home. The left over residue was driving me nuts, it didnt sound like a rock but i knew it was something stuck to the tire. Had me all worried until i tracked it down (which of course it would have went away on its own after a few miles drive.)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had something similar with new tires but it was the left over sticky stuff from one of the tire labels. This was my second set of wheels, so i dropped them off at the shop and I put them on the car myself at home. The left over residue was driving me nuts, it didnt sound like a rock but i knew it was something stuck to the tire. Had me all worried until i tracked it down (which of course it would have went away on its own after a few miles drive.)
I had the same thing happen to me on one of the previously owned cars. Bought a set of new wheels with brand new tires, after fitting I drove outside and then I heard that sound. Was worried it was the rim scrubbing on something until I realized I pulled of the tire labels before balancing the wheels. :haha:

·
Registered
14 Posts
This past Tuesday, I setup my firepit in the driveway while giving out Halloween candy. Once it got dark, I let the fire burnout and moved the firepit back to the backyard.

Wednesday morning, I go to leave for work and immediately feel a thumping coming from my front wheels.

Turns out, I forgot to pickup the firepit claw, but my tire was kind enough to do it for me. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts