Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I don't think I'll be replacing it with another. Nothing really too much against the car other than nit-picky crap, same with any other car one would own. Crash ratings are safe, no injuries, the Recaro's are definitely a safety feature as well and helped to keep me in place very well. The car was fun, and looked awesome.

Replacement wise, I'll probably just downsize. Only cars I'm interested in is an 06-11 Civic Si that can be had 5-7k, or a Fiat 500 Abarth that can be had 10-14k, to hold me over for 5 years and be that sort of "in-between" vehicle. Maybe Ford will have something else by then. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm also looking at Acura TSX/TL somewhere in that price range. No Euro (other than the Abarth, the one exception), and nothing domestic really catches my eye other than a Ford, but I'm thinking the next Ford for me is a GT350 or other Mustang of some sort a fair bit down the line. I'm also waiting for more information on the next generation of Focus.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just an opinion but I have worked as a tech for 20 years and Fiat is garbage! I would do some research first before purchasing any Fiat. Honda/Acura is usually very reliable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
06 thru 11 is the 8th generation of Civic, correct? I really like the look of those. I was even debating an Si sedan of those years for a while. Rev happy and very reliable motor. Of the cars you listed, that'd be my choice.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Fiat's have always had abysmally bad repair records. I'm pretty sure that's why they withdrew from the American market in the '80's. But the 500 Abarth is pretty cool making me wonder just how bad it would be to own one. And then there's the commercial;

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Just an opinion but I have worked as a tech for 20 years and Fiat is garbage! I would do some research first before purchasing any Fiat. Honda/Acura is usually very reliable.
Yup, I've heard they are very problematic cars. Not necessarily big stuff (other than water pump I think) but a bunch of little stuff that nickel and dimes you to death. I'd stay far from Fiat, especially if you're on the fence of getting a MUCH more reliable Honda/Acura...big difference there. Only go Fiat if you can afford a lot of maintenance and wanna be different.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Fiat's have always had abysmally bad repair records. I'm pretty sure that's why they withdrew from the American market in the '80's. But the 500 Abarth is pretty cool making me wonder just how bad it would be to own one. And then there's the commercial;
I think I watched a LOT more TV when that one was in the rotations...

·
Registered
226 Posts
My friend had a Fiat 500 non abarth and it was a giant heap. She bought it new and all kinds of stuff crapped out before even 40,000 miles. I believe the nail in the coffin was when the clutch and the rear main seal went out.

You want smaller, why not get a Fiesta ST?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! Damn! Abarth forum does say the regular 500's are junk, but that the Abarth is built to better standards / better mechanical parts. They aren't very rewarding to tune, other than suspension mods and especially a shift kit as the stock shifter is terrible. But yeah I did do some initial digging on the Abarth. I've driven a few of them and it's absolutely tempting because of the exhaust note, and how fun/different and charming/quirky the car is. The interior isn't half bad. I was hoping to take advantage of their steep depreciation, but those cars are also just coming off the factory warranty so ehhhhhh...I've learned to avoid the 2012 and 2013. The 2014 is alright, the 2015/2016 is worth going for because of the updates/revisions. 2017/2018 is foolish to buy new, they lose nearly half their value in a year it seems like.

06-11 Si is a pick for me because it has hit the sweet spot of depreciation curve where it should stay there for a long time. It has LSD, looks good before Honda started adding so many lines (I'm opting for the sedan), has that screamer K20Z3 with a slick shifting 6spd manual, and I have a history with Honda (namely 90's Accord / Prelude) so I'm comfortable with them.

Edit: I am keeping an eye on Fiesta ST as well. Their resale values interest me. If one pops up for the right price, I may spring for it.

Edit again: ok wait a minute...Focus ST values are pretty much right in line with Fiesta ST. I may just be in another Fo'ST again afterall, hahaha!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
There are some local Abarths available for around $6-10k. Can you go all BT on them? I hear the engines are pretty stout. Well, stout for a mini motor.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks guys! Damn! Abarth forum does say the regular 500's are junk, but that the Abarth is built to better standards / better mechanical parts. They aren't very rewarding to tune, other than suspension mods and especially a shift kit as the stock shifter is terrible. But yeah I did do some initial digging on the Abarth. I've driven a few of them and it's absolutely tempting because of the exhaust note, and how fun/different and charming/quirky the car is. The interior isn't half bad. I was hoping to take advantage of their steep depreciation, but those cars are also just coming off the factory warranty so ehhhhhh...I've learned to avoid the 2012 and 2013. The 2014 is alright, the 2015/2016 is worth going for because of the updates/revisions. 2017/2018 is foolish to buy new, they lose nearly half their value in a year it seems like.

06-11 Si is a pick for me because it has hit the sweet spot of depreciation curve where it should stay there for a long time. It has LSD, looks good before Honda started adding so many lines (I'm opting for the sedan), has that screamer K20Z3 with a slick shifting 6spd manual, and I have a history with Honda (namely 90's Accord / Prelude) so I'm comfortable with them.

Edit: I am keeping an eye on Fiesta ST as well. Their resale values interest me. If one pops up for the right price, I may spring for it.

Edit again: ok wait a minute...Focus ST values are pretty much right in line with Fiesta ST. I may just be in another Fo'ST again afterall, hahaha!

As someone who had an 8th gen Si before my FoST, i can tell you that it's completely different from the Car you're used to. I absolutely love both, and miss my 8th Gen Figi Blue Pearl FG2 (gone in an accident) every time I see one drive by. That k20 engine is a screamer (absolutely zero torque) and you'll love bringing it to redline.

A note on it's drawbacks - 8th Gen's have a history of bad 3rd synchros (more prevalent on the 2006-2008's) and a 1st-2nd gear lockout when going WOT. The latter issue can be fixed a lot easier than the first (Replacing the clutch master cylinder vs. replacing a set of synchros).

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you want smaller in size I would go with the SI you are already looking at. Perhaps Mazda MX-5, Nissan 350Z, Mazda MS3, Mazda RX-8.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I went with a 2013 500 Abarth with 37k KM (23k miles) and 1 year remaining powertrain warranty. $13k CAD which is $10k and change USD.

>Sounds amazing, everyone adores it
>Came with window tint, like new studded winter tires on aftermarket rims, stock rims/tires, and free synthetic oil change.
>Get to pocket the remainder of the money I didn't spend on a replacement vehicle. I loved the ST, but realized it wasn't the best move (in hindsight) and can now reach my future financial goals a bit quicker. Maybe the next ST/RS will be crazier, and I also have sights on GT350 in future.
>Despite being a smaller car, it feels more spacious in the frontal cabin area than the Focus/Fiesta (aside from some lost width). The dash/seat bolstering the ST's have are fairly invasive space wise, only reason why that I can think of. I'll miss the seat bolstering. But the door panel and arm rest the Fiat has are enough to wedge me in nicely. I'll give my passenger (GF) a few cushions to get comfy with on longer drives.

Why I didn't choose Focus/Fiesta ST was because of price. I wanted to downsize price wise, and those two cars value wise were running neck and neck and all at least 5k more than the Abarth. I also wanted to try something different. The water resistant cloth Fiat seats are warmer for the cold climate here, and the seat heaters absolutely scorch you. I felt I wasn't getting too much more with the Fiesta ST other than perhaps 0.2L displacement / more tuning potential (I don't plan to tune the Abarth other than suspension perhaps, I love it out the box), those fabulous Recaro seats, and having 2 additional doors. Which it's a tiny car anyway, and even the Focus ST being bigger, it felt really small in the rear half of the vehicle for it's size. The 500 Abarth has decent cargo space in the rear. And I never needed the back seats of the ST. So I may do a rear seat delete / cargo area conversion on the Abarth. The infotainment screen was annoying on the Sync 2 - way too bright and couldn't turn it off. Wasn't very helpful for privacy during makeout sessions.

Oh and the exhaust...pops between shifts in Sport mode. The turbo whistle...the burbles, pops, gurgles, etc. I'd have to sink in 2-3k in an exhaust system in any other current available turbo car to get this awesome of a sound, and even then...

As for 06-11 Civic SI: only very haggard miled out and sketchy examples for sale. Only nice one was a 2010 with 30k original KM's on it, but they wanted $16k for it. 2012-2014 ask too much for mediocre interiors and a K24 that lacks the character I love about the previous K20Z3 had...so that would've been a very disappointing purchase. 15/16 still go for quite a bit too much and at that point way rather get back in to an ST.

I'll see how this Fix-It-Again-Tony thing goes. So far so good though, not even nit-picky mechanical or quality faults that I can pick out with the car as of yet. Some may have even been massaged out or addressed by warranty repair. Who knows. Maybe I should update this thread with how my 5 year journey with this Abarth goes.

Reactions: RoachRage
1 - 17 of 17 Posts