Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ST, 93 oct, FRPP, RS air cleaner K&N filter, Forge FMIC, Mountune Recirc valve, resonator delet
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally made a decision and ordered up an MBRP exhaust, (the more affordable aluminized version).

I looked up MBRP threads, but most are several years old. Has anyone recently had any experience with this catback exhaust and have any advice or suggestions? My particular questions I've got are:

Does it reduce down to 2-1/2” for better seal and flow at stock downpipe?

Do I need the 4 piece exhaust hanger kit from CJ or will the stock hangers work okay?

Will it be clanking and banging over the axle or were old fitment issues fixed by now?

With stock downpipe, do you forsee me getting pulled over for this being obnoxiously loud? I'm currently running stock catback with resonator delete and it's pretty quiet without any drone, so I'm expecting the MBRP to be louder, but I hope not by too much

Thanks all!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Tip#1 - make a CLEAN cut on factory exhaust located with easy access to re-weld if you decide to put back on, or sell to somebody

Tip#2 - use copper anti seize on all fasteners and slip joints

This will fit stock downpipe, IIRC the cat-back includes a 2.5" adapter for stock downpipe. Upgrading downpipe to 3" requires MBRP 3" adapter, or something custom to match it. MBRP downpipes include the 3" adapter

Stock hangers are fine. If needed, use clamps on the hanger bars to secure the rubber isolators from sliding. I pushed both rear isolators outward a bit so there is preload against each other, keeps the exhaust from swinging back and forth as much.

Fitment issues are ALL about install. The joints are slip-fit and have adjustability. It can be a pain to get everything to line up right. After everything is clamped, push the exhaust around to see if it bangs anything and go from there.

MBRP will be MUCH louder than factory res-delete and resonates much more. I have never been pulled over for excessive noise, guess it depends on the enforcement officer and when/where you hit the throttle. I'd say it's a similar situation with pipes on a motorcycle, open throttle and revving is obnoxious to some and music to others.

·
Registered
2016 ST, 93 oct, FRPP, RS air cleaner K&N filter, Forge FMIC, Mountune Recirc valve, resonator delet
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tip#1 - make a CLEAN cut on factory exhaust located with easy access to re-weld if you decide to put back on, or sell to somebody

Tip#2 - use copper anti seize on all fasteners and slip joints

This will fit stock downpipe, IIRC the cat-back includes a 2.5" adapter for stock downpipe. Upgrading downpipe to 3" requires MBRP 3" adapter, or something custom to match it. MBRP downpipes include the 3" adapter

Stock hangers are fine. If needed, use clamps on the hanger bars to secure the rubber isolators from sliding. I pushed both rear isolators outward a bit so there is preload against each other, keeps the exhaust from swinging back and forth as much.

Fitment issues are ALL about install. The joints are slip-fit and have adjustability. It can be a pain to get everything to line up right. After everything is clamped, push the exhaust around to see if it bangs anything and go from there.

MBRP will be MUCH louder than factory res-delete and resonates much more. I have never been pulled over for excessive noise, guess it depends on the enforcement officer and when/where you hit the throttle. I'd say it's a similar situation with pipes on a motorcycle, open throttle and revving is obnoxious to some and music to others.
Wow, thanks for all that info, it's very helpful! The MBRP appears to come with 2 resonators on it (or a small straight through muffler and a resonator further back). Have you experienced any drone inside the car? I currently have zero drone that I can detect. The last 4 cylinder turbo car was my 93 Talon TSI with a punched out cat and 3" out the back without a muffler and it wasn't very loud nor did it have drone.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,957 Posts
I drove my buddy's '16 with the MBRP with stock downpipe and it droned so badly. Some guys claim theirs drones very little. I guess it depends on your tolerance Level.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I finally made a decision and ordered up an MBRP exhaust, (the more affordable aluminized version).

I looked up MBRP threads, but most are several years old. Has anyone recently had any experience with this catback exhaust and have any advice or suggestions? My particular questions I've got are:

Does it reduce down to 2-1/2” for better seal and flow at stock downpipe?

Do I need the 4 piece exhaust hanger kit from CJ or will the stock hangers work okay?

Will it be clanking and banging over the axle or were old fitment issues fixed by now?

With stock downpipe, do you forsee me getting pulled over for this being obnoxiously loud? I'm currently running stock catback with resonator delete and it's pretty quiet without any drone, so I'm expecting the MBRP to be louder, but I hope not by too much

Thanks all!
I bought mine used so I have no clue on the reducer. The piece I got was 3" all the way up to the downpipe.

Hangars on mine are stock, haven't had any issues.

Mine never had an issue over the axle, only place that rubbed was one of those chassis brackets over the exhaust tunnel. Fixed that with a lil adjustment.

Stock downpipe was quiet, no drone unless you were cruising 85+
Catless downpipe is a little drony at anything above 1/4 throttle at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I drove my buddy's '16 with the MBRP with stock downpipe and it droned so badly. Some guys claim theirs drones very little. I guess it depends on your tolerance Level.
There are 2 versions. Was his the one with the muffler and resonator? Or without.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought mine used so I have no clue on the reducer. The piece I got was 3" all the way up to the downpipe.

Hangars on mine are stock, haven't had any issues.

Mine never had an issue over the axle, only place that rubbed was one of those chassis brackets over the exhaust tunnel. Fixed that with a lil adjustment.

Stock downpipe was quiet, no drone unless you were cruising 85+
Catless downpipe is a little drony at anything above 1/4 throttle at highway speeds.
Thx!

·
Registered
276 Posts
When I first put on MBRP with stock downpipe, the drone was pretty obnoxious at 60+ highway speeds. Catless downpipe made it slightly worse, more raspy.

The rear resonator broke eventually, and I had a Vibrant Ultra Quiet welded in. Much better sound at all speeds. Couple years ago I replaced front resonator/muffler with a Jones Turbine which helped drone at highway speeds, but still quite loud.

Big Turbo actually helped, the sound is less monotone humming and can hear more individual/separate cylinder exhaust. Not quite like a Subie though.

My advice - find a way to weld in a Vibrant Ultra Quiet (#1142) if you don't like the sound. Things will quiet down a bit after it gets covered in soot, too

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have had MBRP installed for the past couple of years or so. I didn't think it had a drone. But if it did I guess my tolerance level was high. I think the tune, if any might make a difference on it droning or not. I had the FRPP calibration until a couple of weeks ago. Having put on the MT Adapt-X tune I've noticed a change in the note of the MBRP.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I found a YouTube video that was pretty well done and they used a good recorder for the sound. Listening to it on my phone it sounded pretty tame, but when I watched it on my TV with my surround sound, it's actually pretty loud.

The sunroof was open while filming so that was a bit of a bummer, but all in all the video gives a good representation of the MBRP installer aluminized setup with a stock downpipe.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had MBRP installed for the past couple of years or so. I didn't think it had a drone. But if it did I guess my tolerance level was high. I think the tune, if any might make a difference on it droning or not. I had the FRPP calibration until a couple of weeks ago. Having put on the MT Adapt-X tune I've noticed a change in the note of the MBRP.
Cool thanks. I'm also running the FRPP tune (recalibration).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found another video that demonstrates catback with stock downpipe, they test the MBRP, Borla and Flowmaster.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for blowing up this thread lol... All sorts of questions. Does anyone with an MBRP know if my stock exhaust tip bezel will fit the twin outlet Vs using the MBRP tips? Honestly I'm not into the big round exhaust tips and would prefer to keep it looking stock.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
uhh... MBRP.....I had the aluminized version. Even in the desert where the car saw very little to no rain this happened mine:

The resonator broke at the welds. It sounded nice with the catted down pipe. Too bad it was trash.

Failed at the 3.5 year mark just outside of their warranty for the aluminized version, how convenient.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
uhh... MBRP.....I had the aluminized version. Even in the desert where the car saw very little to no rain this happened mine:

View attachment 394186

View attachment 394187

The resonator broke at the welds. It sounded nice with the catted down pipe. Too bad it was trash.

Failed at the 3.5 year mark just outside of their warranty for the aluminized version, how convenient.
Oooo... That's not cool. Well, on the upside you've still got 3" mandrel bent tubing and a reason to experiment with some different resonators or mufflers. I grew up changing exhaust systems every few years though lol... That used to be normal.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,957 Posts
Oooo... That's not cool. Well, on the upside you've still got 3" mandrel bent tubing and a reason to experiment with some different resonators or mufflers. I grew up changing exhaust systems every few years though lol... That used to be normal.
Exact same thing happened with my aforementioned friend at the front resonator. He stuck a piece of pipe in place and its even worse now. Lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exact same thing happened with my aforementioned friend at the front resonator. He stuck a piece of pipe in place and its even worse now. Lol.
Dang... Well thanks for the heads up on the rusty aluminized steel issue MBRP has. I cancelled the order. I'll figure something else out. Their 409 SS version isn't much more $

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Dang... Well thanks for the heads up on the rusty aluminized steel issue MBRP has. I cancelled the order. I'll figure something else out. Their 409 SS version isn't much more $
Always buy stainless for exhaust. Lol
Mine is the 409 and according to the previous owner, total age is around 5 years.
No rust anywhere except for the clamps have some and the very last piece before the tips has some surface junk. Probably just dirt though tbh

Reactions: Hot Rod Todd

·
Super Moderator
3,957 Posts
Factory exhausts are made from mostly 409 stainless, so i support this decision.

I guess i should have specified but my buddys is also in fact aluminized.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts