Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Did anybody do a proper FMEA on electric vehicles?
Seems mostly short sighted thinking to me, despite the global warming exaggerations.
I used to just work on 110v live, when you get hit it mainly just [email protected]@es you off more than anything. No way I'd touch anything higher than that.
Now imagine the nuts who want us to haul around a cylinder of HYDROGEN at 10,000PSI and park that in our garage at night. That's far more scary than the batteries.
Think about some wanker like me at home fiddling around fixing their own car and causing a leak or something. That's the sort of debauchery that can level an entire house in an instant.
Seems to me that so far, EV's are but a niche thing for greenies to brag about to their buddies or something. It's going to be a really sad day for regular everyday folks when they see their home energy go double or triple per KWH after all the infrastructure capacity increases this causes. Not to mention having to swap a $5-10K battery every 5-7 years. For some reason, humans have a real problem calculating or realizing consequences in advance... like mandatory ethanol, you know, we are basically putting our food in the gas tank... that in itself has also cause some serious market problems with beef prices and taxation, etc.
But now I think I'm getting dangerously close to politics, and I'd rather avoid that sort of subject here.

·
Super Moderator
8,930 Posts
States have legal avenues to counter that. It's a pipe dream, and it'll be coming back around to bite them.
I would image the ethanol folks will try to counter with something; it's fairly big business here in the mid-west.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, SP63 block
478 Posts
I say it will be longer than we think before hydrocarbon fuels truly exit the automotive market. Especially with things like ethanol. alcohol burns so clean. (except for that sweet sweet formaldehyde)

It definitely will be a very long time before Hydrocarbons exit the energy market.. If they ever do. There is just no good form of energy storage for massive energy.
Yeah a battery works for small items, but a Tesla only holds the energy equivalent of 1.7 gallons of 93 octane. Battery tech does not work for storing the energy coming off of a power plant.

The impressive part about a Tesla is that they can go 300 miles on 1.7 gallons of gasoline energy equivalent.
There is room for IC engines to improve.

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
363 Posts
It’s all about getting us out of private vehicles and onto public transport, like cattle, moving us back and forth to where they want us to go, then they know where we all are at any one time.
from now on, fun is banned. ☹

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST3
587 Posts
It’s all about getting us out of private vehicles and onto public transport, like cattle, moving us back and forth to where they want us to go, then they know where we all are at any one time.
yo, EPA can only screw us over not you guys.

Reactions: Habriant40

·
Premium Member
‘13 Focus ST3, Tuxedo Black
245 Posts
I got this guitar pedal that steps up from the 9v supply to run the audio at 3500v through this xenon tube:

It’s like a lightsaber in a drive pedal
I don’t understand what any of that means, but I want it.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
"it's catless, because of my allergies."

👍

·
2,745 Posts
If downpipes are outlawed than only outlaws will have downpipes :p

...and they'll also have check engine lights.🤷‍♂️

"it's catless, because of my allergies."
I like this quote.

If things like this are outlawed, we will have an increase in people learning how to fabricate, is the way i see it.

I'm mostly concerned about the tuning aspect. That's Not something I'm willing to experiment on with my own vehicles, or anyone else's for that matter.

·
Super Moderator
8,930 Posts
Good luck with that, I live 30+ miles from where I work, out in the Flint Hills of Kansas. "They" would have to spend a bunch of money to get a bus route anywhere near me. Now I do stay at my girl's place in town several nights a week; "they" may find me there... :(

Reactions: junits15

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
447 Posts
Ketchhhh me ousssside, how bou dat?

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
363 Posts
yo, EPA can only screw us over not you guys.
No that’s true, but we’ve got idiots legislating that, by 2030 you won’t be able to buy a new fossil fuelled car at all. Only EV’s will be available, except they don’t seem to realise, we don’t have the infrastructure, or the extra grid power to charge them. 🤪

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
If they do go for private tuners, perhaps they and Cobb should band together to file suit.

Just a general FYI as well, the EPA does none of their own environmental studies. They're all passed down by other PACS that rubber stamp their own research, with no oversight.
This is exactly what SEMA is doing right now

It’s called the RPM act

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I say it will be longer than we think before hydrocarbon fuels truly exit the automotive market. Especially with things like ethanol. alcohol burns so clean. (except for that sweet sweet formaldehyde)

It definitely will be a very long time before Hydrocarbons exit the energy market.. If they ever do. There is just no good form of energy storage for massive energy.
Yeah a battery works for small items, but a Tesla only holds the energy equivalent of 1.7 gallons of 93 octane. Battery tech does not work for storing the energy coming off of a power plant.

The impressive part about a Tesla is that they can go 300 miles on 1.7 gallons of gasoline energy equivalent.
There is room for IC engines to improve.
The issue is that for a company like Ford there’s not much reason to re-engineer the engine to a point where it’s more efficient, it’s easier for them to just go electric.

The days of a car being a personalized thing that is only yours are coming to an end slowly, a car will soon be exactly what the government prescribes and nothing more. It’s like a second malaise era.

To be fair, gasoline is not outlawed, if it suddenly becomes more profitable to build new gas engines, that is what will happen, I’m just skeptical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Saw this....signed a petition BUT in full disclosure I dont think anything will last long as far as these regs. They will never in the near future, Im talking at least 100 years get rid of IC engines because of fuel burning, its a main stay of revenue, income, heat, transportation....and its from big to little.

All the people that work in or on refineries, scientists that work in their labs, the cashiers and drivers that work at their stations, the mom and pops private entities that own gas station.....fossil fuels, particularly gas in this gas for transportation has its fingers woven through industry of not just america, but the world. And like I said the world isnt gonna stop using fossil fuels anytime soon.
DONT TREAD ON MY RACE CAR.

Reactions: junits15
21 - 40 of 89 Posts