Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have this weird issue where the car will sound like it dies as soon as you start it but will slowly crank up and start the car normally (hard to explain, please refer to video). The squeaking sound at startup in both videos seemed like it was coming from starter area.

After the car starts, everything to me, seems normal. Took it for a drive, everything seemed normal even under WOT conditions. Its just the starting. Did a compression test,
Came out 150 145 145ish 150 between all cylinders. Changed the purge valve. Charged my battery. Re bled my clutch line (was thinking the throw out was not pushing the clutch all the way and felt too easy to push down on the clutch pedal). Checked vacuum lines. Kinda outta ideas. :(

How this first started was a week ago when my car sat for a bit, maybe 4 or 5 days at most, had to jump the car. 4 or 5 days ago it was completely fine, but after jumping the the issue began. Maybe problem at HVJB?

Thank you

DropBox:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,935 Posts
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kinda sounds like the starter is dragging, not disengaging from the flywheel right away after starting.
The car starts up just a tad "better" when I tap on the gas pedal, its a noticeable difference. No weird noises when I do that besides it trying to start up. When I disconnected ignition sys and pushed the pedal down for fuel cut, seemed the starter was cranking normally and disengaged normally. Only when I have the clutch pedal down and press the start button, starting it up normally basically, that sound in the video appears along with it almost act like its not pushing enough fuel.

How old is the battery?
Battery is about 2 years old.

I did check All fuses in the HVJB, they all turned out good.

·
Vendor
380 Posts
How big of a jump we talking here? Like this?

Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive design

Joking aside. The fact that it died right away makes me think this is a fueling issue. Next time you go to start the car, try priming the fuel system first, and see if that makes any difference.

First try this, ignition on, wait 10 sec. then crank start the car. Does anything change?

Secondly, gas pedal depressed completely to the floor, crank for 3-5 seconds, stop, remove your foot from the gas and crank start the car. Any change?

If the car starts much better under these conditions, then it could be a fuel system related issue. Do you have an AP or something to monitor fuel pressure?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First try this, ignition on, wait 10 sec. then crank start the car. Does anything change?

Secondly, gas pedal depressed completely to the floor, crank for 3-5 seconds, stop, remove your foot from the gas and crank start the car. Any change?

If the car starts much better under these conditions, then it could be a fuel system related issue. Do you have an AP or something to monitor fuel pressure?
Ign On, 10 sec then start, I had no difference. On my AP I had FRP Actual + Desired and LowsideFP Actual and desired showing. Not sure if these were the right things to monitor in the video.

In this vid I show the AP, same starting conditions as the first couple of seconds in the first video but it'll slowly chugga chugga and gets the car completely running.

When I had it cranking for a good 4-5 sec, stop, and started it, it was better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts