Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed a mountune intercooler and also re positioned my exhaust. I’ve been noticing negative ignition corrections aka knock that I can always replicate. It’s always in first gear when I give it about half throttle Around 1500rpm. Usually in cyl 2 or 3. Then when I punch the throttle in neutral I get negative corrections in every cylinder but 1, depends on the rev. These ignition corrections are barely under any load and basically no boost so I’m confused on how I’m getting them. Also never any in 2-6th gear in any datalogs including WOT pulls. I did notice that I had to pull my charge pipes closer to reach my intercooler and my intercooler is also resting on the crash bar. Could this be causing some sort of false knock since it’s easily repeatable? My exhaust was also re positioned maybe it’s hitting something? I’d like to hear someone’s 2 cents. I’ve seen up to negative 4 in cyl 2 and -2 in 3 and 4. Rarely cylinder one. Stratified claims there’s nothing to worry about but negatives make me scared.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do have a boomba RMM but i this hasn’t ever happened with negative corrections until after that intercooler install even on the same tune.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was able to center the mountune fmic between the radiator and crash bar and have the stock hoses and mountune hoses reach with no tension. (Although this didn’t stop them from blowing off) If the fmic is banging the crash bar this probably is the issue, I know it had some weather stripping on it for cushion, but it didn't seem very thick.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On second thought 1500 seems pretty low to be half throttle and I don’t rev in neutral either. It seems you might be causing these issues. You might want to try putting 1 gallon of E85 in your tank to eliminate a questionable tank of gas also.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On second thought 1500 seems pretty low to be half throttle and I don’t rev in neutral either. It seems you might be causing these issues. You might want to try putting 1 gallon of E85 in your tank to eliminate a questionable tank of gas also.
What I mean is I can repeat these knocks. If I punch it to the ground at idle and let off around 3k rpm these negatives will pop up in cyl 3/4. I was having another issue in first gear where I would get negatives in cyl 2 but those haven’t popped up recently. I’m going to check for any rattling with anything tomorrow. Also the mountune intercooler has the worst instructions ever so who knows if I even installed it correctly but I’m going to try and get it farther away from the crash bar.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of putting some foam in between the crash bar and the intercooler if I can’t get it centered properly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that is a good idea on the foam. I know that fmic install sucked, what instructions:D I would still try some E85 or real octane booster, just in case.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that is a good idea on the foam. I know that fmic install sucked, what instructions:D I would still try some E85 or real octane booster, just in case.
I’m gonna our new charge pipe clamps on tomorrow anyway so I’ll just check everything else out. If it persists I’ll go to a different gas station and get some e85. I’m thinking if it was fuel related I’d see corrections in all cyl which I am only seeing them in 2-4

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m gonna our new charge pipe clamps on tomorrow anyway so I’ll just check everything else out. If it persists I’ll go to a different gas station and get some e85. I’m thinking if it was fuel related I’d see corrections in all cyl which I am only seeing them in 2-4
Nope, I just had winter gas issues and it was in 2 and 4, sometimes 1, weird and scary with -3 corrections.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What did you find?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did you find?
I moved the intercooler away eom the crash bar. Still getting negatives in cyl 2 in 1st gear and revving causes corrections in cyl 3 and 4. Not sure what could be causing 3 cyl to show negatives except for bad gas possibly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try the gallon of E85

1 - 13 of 13 Posts