Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody - first time poster here! I have a 2016 ST2 which I bought new about a year ago.
Recently my car has started making this strange creaky buzzing noise from the dash area. This happens occasionally, with or without AC on. It will continue several minutes after the car is turned off as well. Sometimes it's loud, and sometimes it's quieter, and other times it is not present at all. It's really not the end of the world, but it definitely gets annoying at stoplights or when the stereo is off, since our cars are so quiet otherwise.

I took it in to the dealership, but while the attendant who received the car was able to verify the noise when I dropped it off, it of course vanished when the tech went to check it out, and he wasn't able to replicate or diagnose the issue over two days.

Has anybody had this problem, or know what this is caused by? The dealership told me if I can identify the part that is causing the problem, they will replace it under warranty.

Here's a crappy video I made of the noise, but you might have to turn it up a bit to hear:
Any help is appreciated - thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi everybody - first time poster here! I have a 2016 ST2 which I bought new about a year ago.
Recently my car has started making this strange creaky buzzing noise from the dash area. This happens occasionally, with or without AC on. It will continue several minutes after the car is turned off as well. Sometimes it's loud, and sometimes it's quieter, and other times it is not present at all. It's really not the end of the world, but it definitely gets annoying at stoplights or when the stereo is off, since our cars are so quiet otherwise.

I took it in to the dealership, but while the attendant who received the car was able to verify the noise when I dropped it off, it of course vanished when the tech went to check it out, and he wasn't able to replicate or diagnose the issue over two days.

Has anybody had this problem, or know what this is caused by? The dealership told me if I can identify the part that is causing the problem, they will replace it under warranty.

Here's a crappy video I made of the noise, but you might have to turn it up a bit to hear:
Any help is appreciated - thanks!
that sounds like the tiny fan used for monitoring the cabin air. I have a 2013 and if I recall it is located right below the steering wheel on the right . You will see a circle of vents about the size of a quarter. My fan had come loose and sounded just like that. I reached under and was able to put the fan back into place and it's been silent ever since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sounds like the tiny fan used for monitoring the cabin air. I have a 2013 and if I recall it is located right below the steering wheel on the right . You will see a circle of vents about the size of a quarter. My fan had come loose and sounded just like that. I reached under and was able to put the fan back into place and it's been silent ever since.
OMG that's it! It was just dangling there and it was vibrating against the panel ever so slightly, depending on how it was laying at the time, which is why it only happened randomly.
Thank you so much - I love the internet :redspotdance:

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I am pretty sure I have this weird sound too.

I cannot wait to look into this tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I've got the same problem with my st2 mk3. Can you please show me where the air cabin fan is located thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts