Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be doing weight reduction on my car soon and I plan on going all out. Are there lighter door window options I can go with? I'm planning on replacing them once I get a roll cage installed and removing the door panels and everything inside except the handles to hopefully offset some of the weight of it. I don't care too much if they don't roll down.

Also, im sure people have gone full out on weight reduction for these cars before, is there any videos I'm missing that detail exactly how to completely disassemble the interior and remove sound dampening and everything? That would be awesome.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a full cage built and installed? Hopefully after this year I will be going there a lot more often with new builds lol

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
473 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like he was able to drop between 200 and 230 pounds off the car. He also hadn't removed any of the extra wires or sound dampening, he had a harness bar installed, and he had himself in the car. I'm not sure how much he weighs, but assuming 170ish, that means he dropped close to 400 lbs off the car with the weight reduction. Which is actually pretty amazing, especially leaving in approximately 20 to 50 pounds of sound dampening and 10 to 15 pounds of wiring. He also still had his stock door windows in and I think he may have even had a sunroof, but I couldn't tell for sure.

Anyways, thanks for the video share!

·
Super Moderator
9,810 Posts
It looks like he was able to drop between 200 and 230 pounds off the car. He also hadn't removed any of the extra wires or sound dampening, he had a harness bar installed, and he had himself in the car. I'm not sure how much he weighs, but assuming 170ish, that means he dropped close to 400 lbs off the car with the weight reduction. Which is actually pretty amazing, especially leaving in approximately 20 to 50 pounds of sound dampening and 10 to 15 pounds of wiring. He also still had his stock door windows in and I think he may have even had a sunroof, but I couldn't tell for sure.

Anyways, thanks for the video share!
He has not been around for a while, but check out the weight loss thread by @omniphil

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been getting the lead out on mine and have found components in the engine bay/exhaust/bumpers to be substantially heavy.. full exhaust, flywheel, bumpers, balance shafts removal, battery, struts, insulation, you can equal weight reduction compared to gutting it pretty easy...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm basically planning to remove everything from the car. Seats, replaced by 2 racing seats up front, one when I'm alone, trunk liner, spare, door panels, dash, sound equipment, any sound dampening I can find, center console, all of the plastic interior pieces, headliner, antenna, radio, carpets, excess wires will be cut out, new ecu and hud, aluminum intercooler instead of the Cobb intercooler, lightened flywheel, clutch, wheels (Titan T-S5 18x9 @ 17 lbs each), lugnuts, mudflaps and inner wheel wells will be removed, I might install a skid plate to flatten out the bottom of the car, and Im considering replacing the stock gas tank with a smaller tank to save weight there, not to mention ill only be tracking it at that point, so I don't need a hug gas tank.

I've already removed quite a bit of weight because I have ycw coilovers. I didn't take the weight difference and I sold the stock suspension, so I can't now, but, the stock suspension with springs, shocks, struts, and mounting hardware was at least 120 lbs where my ycw suspension is only around 40 lbs, maybe less.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been slowly going over the time attack stuff from JST. So far I'm at -40lbs. Looking to drop the trunk foam, mat, and spare + jack in exchange for those light rubber workout squares with a can of fixaflat. Thats probably worth another ~55-60lbs. The amount you saved on suspension is interesting, are you able to keep stock ride height? I can't lower my ST where i live but thats a good chunk of weight savings..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts