Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ST1
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car has been slowly leaking coolant for about a year and a half lol. I have always monitored it and whenever it gets near the Min line I top it off. It is extremely slow probably taking a a good month or 2 to even reach Min from being near the Max line. I am finally wanting to get this fully fixed though. I noticed recently when I was under the car doing an oil change it definitely seems to be the water pump itself leaking as it was literally dripping down the side of the motor right where the pump is. I checked the heater hose clips a lot of people have recommended here and they were dry and so was the insulation below it. Looking at a video I found online it really doesn't seem all that hard to do the water pump and the parts are pretty cheap. I called my local Ford just to get an estimate on them doing this and they said it would be about $600 all-in, which honestly isn't too bad.

Anyone ever change the water pump and how difficult was it? One thing I am reading is that a vacuum filler is recommended for refilling the coolant after, would that eliminate air in the system? I currently don't have one and could buy one if needed, but say I don't what's the best way to get air out of the system? I have a 2016. Any tips or recommendations would certainly be appreciated!

This is the video I was referencing for the water pump replacement:

·
Super Moderator
12,444 Posts
If you elevate the passenger side of the car while filling you should be able to fill without trapped air. When I did my turbo swap last summer I just drove the passenger side on to a ramp and filled without issue. Make sure you bring the vehicle up to operating temp for a while before moving off the ramp.

·
Registered
2016 ST1
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you elevate the passenger side of the car while filling you should be able to fill without trapped air. When I did my turbo swap last summer I just drove the passenger side on to a ramp and filled without issue. Make sure you bring the vehicle up to operating temp for a while before moving off the ramp.
Might be a stupid question, but how'd you drive it on the ramps with no coolant in? I could also just jack up right behind the passenger wheel and that would do the same, but say I swapped the water pump and had no coolant in prior to filling I would assume I ideally wouldn't want to start it?

·
Vendor
380 Posts
Replacing the water pump is pretty easy on these cars. It can also be a bit of a pain. The main hard part is physically removing the pump from the block. They can sometimes get a little frozen in place, due to corrosion.

There's little pry tabs on the pump, but if it's really stuck in there, these can break off easily. When swapping in the car, the trick is to undo the bolts then rotate the pump assembly back and forth (long screwdriver and a hammer) in stead of prying on the tabs to break it free. Once broken free, it can come out fairly easily. In some cases, you may need to remove the engine mount and raise the engine slightly for better access.

If the pump is really seized in, we remove the thermostat and with a brass punch we hammer it out from the inside.

As far as re-filling the system, I just fill as much as I can. Start the car and let it get up to operating temp (usually by holding the throttle at 2500RPM), turn it off, let it cool, refill and repeat as needed.

·
Registered
2016 ST1
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replacing the water pump is pretty easy on these cars. It can also be a bit of a pain. The main hard part is physically removing the pump from the block. They can sometimes get a little frozen in place, due to corrosion.

There's little pry tabs on the pump, but if it's really stuck in there, these can break off easily. When swapping in the car, the trick is to undo the bolts then rotate the pump assembly back and forth (long screwdriver and a hammer) in stead of prying on the tabs to break it free. Once broken free, it can come out fairly easily. In some cases, you may need to remove the engine mount and raise the engine slightly for better access.

If the pump is really seized in, we remove the thermostat and with a brass punch we hammer it out from the inside.

As far as re-filling the system, I just fill as much as I can. Start the car and let it get up to operating temp (usually by holding the throttle at 2500RPM), turn it off, let it cool, refill and repeat as needed.
Awesome, thank you for the tip!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,444 Posts
Might be a stupid question, but how'd you drive it on the ramps with no coolant in? I could also just jack up right behind the passenger wheel and that would do the same, but say I swapped the water pump and had no coolant in prior to filling I would assume I ideally wouldn't want to start it?
I added as much coolant as it would take on flat ground and then drove it onto the ramp.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've always thought filling these was incredibly easy--and to accelerate the process, you can just lift the reservoir off of its mounts and hold it up higher.

Reactions: mbSTsf

·
Registered
2016 ST1
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to say thanks again to all, did the water pump yesterday and honestly wasn't bad at all. Filling the car back with coolant was easy as well, i filled it as much as i could on flat ground then drove it onto a ramp on the passenger side and filled the rest. Let it warm up with heat on and honestly after the rest of the fill on the ramp it was full and i even went on a few drives and all was great and checked and didn't need to add anymore. Going to monitor over the next few weeks to confirm the leak has stopped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts