Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I know a few people on here are using WMI... I'll explain what I'm doing and what I'm thinking.

I have the AEM v2 setup, the tank (1.15gal) is in the boot on the wheel arch as low down as it can be mounted, this leads to the pump and filter in the spare wheel well with the tube running in the spare space by the fuel lines, up to the injector in a CP-e cold charge pipe. The injector has a built-in check valve but looking at the heights of the fluid in the tank it is higher than the injector which runs the risk of syphoning/gravity feeding.

Does the check valve work well enough on it's own or would you recommend the additional solenoid? I'm not using a toggle switch for the control - but instead an add-a-fuse into an ingnition live circuit to arm. I'm tempted to get the solenoid for extra safety as it is only £80... but mounting will be messy with some zip-ties.

Anyone with the tank mounted in the same position had any issues when feeding into the cold charge pipe (rather than right before the throttle body)??

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don’t run WMI, but if it were me I would use a noid for safety. If it does hydro lock it will = ecoboom
Hopefully some knowledgeable folks will be chime in soon. Check the Fiesta guys too, they use it on their big turbos, you know the ones that are faster then the FoST:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No because that still sits lower than the max fill level.

It's also ****e placement and shifts everything around, not overly compatible with the Mountune intake manifold either.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ah... you have the tank on top of the tire cover then, or no?

All that said, I have not personally heard of the check valve failing...maybe some of the gurus will chime in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even if the tank is seated in the tyre well (it's mounted just above so the pump is below the minimum sensor level) the top fill point would be higher than a throttle body spacer... I've seen on the AEM forums that people have had issues with their cars (not a Focus) so I don't know the exact height differences for theirs...

If I didn't need a washer bottle I'd use that as it is lower.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Even if the tank is seated in the tyre well (it's mounted just above so the pump is below the minimum sensor level) the top fill point would be higher than a throttle body spacer... I've seen on the AEM forums that people have had issues with their cars (not a Focus) so I don't know the exact height differences for theirs...

If I didn't need a washer bottle I'd use that as it is lower.

Why can't you tap into your washer bottle. You can inject washer fluid as it's a 30/70 mix already. If you want a 50/50 mix to either add two or three bottles of yellow heet. then you can still use it to wash your windows and you already have a low level sensor built into the washer fluid tank. That's what I plan on doing. The check valve may work for you being in the charge pipe however it may begin to leak overtime. I do know if your tapped into the manifold for port injection then you need a solenoid since there is constant vacuum there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the UK there's a lot of legality issues with methanol content in washer fluid, it's a very grey area with anything over 5% and to top that off water methanol mixes are considerably more expensive than washer fluid...

That and I've already mounted the tank in the boot.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
In the UK there's a lot of legality issues with methanol content in washer fluid, it's a very grey area with anything over 5% and to top that off water methanol mixes are considerably more expensive than washer fluid...

That and I've already mounted the tank in the boot.

Really? hmmm I've been told over here in the states that our cheap generic blue washer fluid is 30% methanol and you can inject it into your engine without any issues. and if you want to make it a 50/50 mix you add either two or three bottles of yellow heat. At least that's what they on snow performances website. I wouldn't think there would be such a difference in washer fluid. plus your washer fluid isn't rated for as cold as ours is. Are cheap washer fluid is rated to -20 to -25 degrees Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our 'off the shelf' washer fluid is rated up to -30degC but it's often diluted (to reduce the price further) to closer to -15 to -10degC (no idea what that is in degF). Loads of regulations on anything containing any form of alcohol as stupid people tend to drink it. Sadly there's a fair few idiots over here!

There's a lot of limiting factors for our cars, E85 is rarer than rocking horse poo. That's why I'm water methanol and eventually aux fuel with the bigger turbo.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm tank mounted and throttle body spacer injection point. Had siphoning issues. The solenoid took care of that issue. Be sure to mount it in the engine bay as close to the injection point as possible. I have about 8 inches of line from solenoid to injection point, and no issues.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Throttle body spacer injection will cause siphoning due to the vacuum.
Agreed...I didn’t realize his tank sat so high. In my defense, the last setup I worked on was a subie with the tank behind one headlight and the pump behind the other so the spacer worked perfect for him 😬

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm tank mounted and throttle body spacer injection point. Had siphoning issues. The solenoid took care of that issue. Be sure to mount it in the engine bay as close to the injection point as possible. I have about 8 inches of line from solenoid to injection point, and no issues.
Yeah I think I should play safe with the solenoid, it can sit on the cold charge pipe with some cable [zip] ties so that it is below the injector. Shames there's no 'perfect' solution for us UK folk but I can always see about making fancy brackets or something for installing it somewhere!

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am trunk/boot mounted Snow performance kit with pump at front near wheel arch with a solenoid next to pump and then runs up to a JBR throttle body spacer and have just changed out the snow Check Valve and nozzle for a Devils own number D03 nozzle and Check Valve have attached a link to video, spray pattern looks good better than the snow nozzle but there is a bit of small dripping after the spray, is the small dripping something to worry about? Running a snow progressive controller start at about 10psi and full by 15 psi

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts