Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are currently in the process of fabricating a complete plug and play Water/Meth & Fail safe system for the ST

There are a few things that I wanted to share with other ST fans.

After installing our GTX2867R one of the main drawbacks is Pump octane, we have terrible gas here in CA only 91 that means not much boost, safely! Couple of options come to mind was E85 and Race fuel.

E85 after extensive testing and running it in my own ST and following the MS3 threads of others using it, a major concern was lubrication using this fuel over a long period of time?
The HPFP on our car and the Ms3 are of the same origin, they came from the diesel industry and were modified for our platform, one of the major components found in diesel fuel, is oil, when using E85 a alcohol type of fuel there is a loss of lubrication in the fuel, now this is more important for people using 50% and the longevity of the pump, but in upgrading our turbo to a larger turbo it would require more E85 which could cause HPFP problems down the line, I am just mentioning this because some of the longer term MS3's have been having pump problems and been running E85? Another problem which is only on our platform is the inability to open the pump as it is welded, we do not have access to upgrading nor cleaning of the pump as the MS3 have.

So looking to run E85 on our application might not be a choice for longevity or until there is an upgrade available.

That leaves us with Race Fuel, it's a pain to have to mix it just like the E85, it's ok for a race day now and then and it can become expensive.

Ok the only other available alternative is Water/Meth, but just water/Meth can be dangerous if there is lack of flow for some reason and your boost is not dropped if you have lost pressure or flow or the pump fails? That is why I wanted to offer a kit that is fully featured and fail safe.

We are now in the process of putting the system together and gathering all the necessary parts for the ST to make it as plug and play as possible.

Here is the Video that AEM has out regarding the fail safe parameters and how to set it up with the software :

I will continue to update this regarding the kits progress:

Thanks,

Alan

Here are some updates:

This is the kit I am putting together for the ST 20140418_130142 (1).jpg
Here is the products of the Water / Meth kit 20140424_170022.jpg

The first thing I did was to install the pump and the 1 gallon tank "that was the easy part"
20140424_181606.jpg

Then I moved on to the charge pipe, mine is from Cobb, you need to remove the lower skid or catch pan and also remove the front lower part of the skirt "this thing" lol 20140425_170515.jpg

You will need to also lower the passenger side lower radiator and inner cooler bracket shown here that was the only way to get the charge pipe off! 20140425_170622.jpg

Then remove the flex connectors for both the upper and lower part of the charge pipe and remove it. After it is removed there are pictures of what I did on the next page, I used a an fitting and cut it to size and welded it to the charge pipe. The pipe is too thin to tap it, tried that no go. That is the first part of installing the water /meth kit.

Next I installed the feed line for the water /meth, you must be very careful not to pinch it or have it near a sharp corner as it will puncher the line, I use a scotch brand double stick tape it is gray, this stuff is the best double stick on the planet! no kidding, I have used it for some many things, I even used it on one of our sand rails to hold the cooling fans for the oil cooler, 5 years later it has not moved! You also have to install the flow sensor here are some pictures of that : 20140427_105621.jpg notice the gray sticky tape! yep love that stuff, I had to trim the plastic floor rail to accommodate the sensor

·
Registered
235 Posts
Subbed for outcome.. Looks real good

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing we ran into was the charge pipe is very thin, and not much to tap into, I tried that first and then went to the custom bung assembly, here is a picture of it 20140426_122205.jpg

That was the beginning here is the next part : 20140426_131256.jpg

And here is the finished product : 20140426_160642.jpg

Here is the inside with the tip installed : 20140426_131114.jpg

At this point I am going to have my CNC guy make me up some bungs for the kit, we also thought if you wanted to ship it to us we could install it and weld it in for a price of $ 60.00 + shipping. Welding aluminum is not very easy, but if you have a good welder you can have them weld it up for you. Like I said I will include it in the kit

·
Registered
242 Posts
So if I am understanding this right, the bung in the charge pipe is for the water/meth injection? Will your kit be using the existing washer tank for the mix? This looks like a lot less work than some other kits out there.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I am understanding this right, the bung in the charge pipe is for the water/meth injection? Will your kit be using the existing washer tank for the mix? This looks like a lot less work than some other kits out there.
You can order the kit either way if you like. I put mine on the wheel well on the D/S Here is a picture:

20140424_181606.jpg

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To do a good job on the install, it does take some time, you are installing two parts, one being the Water/Meth kit and the other is the Fail Safe system. For both systems it's about 6 to 8 hours to do it right. I tend to use rubber clamps for the supply tubes that way there is no movement and you have to be very careful not to put the supply tubes anywhere near sharp areas allowing them to get punctured. But once complete you don't have to worry about race fuel, or detonation using pump fuel.

·
1,976 Posts
What charge pipes do you run on your car?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
1,976 Posts
Cobb

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Yeah now thinking about it my CP-E pipe wouldn't be any thicker, well crap! Guess I wasted money on a tap and t handle wrench, oh well. Not a shop in my area that I can think of that will be able to weld aluminum, just local muffler shops, etc. I guess I will go with the snow silicone/rubber intake adapter and put it right before the t/b into that coupler.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I'm unable to view the video on my work computer so I may have simply not seen the info but I'm curious what is the "failsafe" and how does it work? does it use the output on the AEM controller? some details if they are available

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm unable to view the video on my work computer so I may have simply not seen the info but I'm curious what is the "failsafe" and how does it work? does it use the output on the AEM controller? some details if they are available
The fail safe uses a in line flow sensor, that is how you are able to set up the software to monitor it and set the high and low limits for the flow, if for any reason you loose some flow or the flow goes out of the high or low limits you specify, it will issue an alarm, you can also specify how you want the alarm to react, if it does not meet a time limit it can then send a hard alarm to a 12 volt source or you can use a ground source to what ever you want to control. You also have the controller monitor for the pump and any faults of the system, that you can also connect to a ECU 0-5 volts or ground. Hope that gives you a better idea of how it works? If you get a chance take a look at the video sometime it explains very well.

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
233 Posts
We are currently in the process of fabricating a complete plug and play Water/Meth & Fail safe system for the ST

Ok the only other available alternative is Water/Meth, but just water/Meth can be dangerous if there is lack of flow for some reason and your boost is not dropped if you have lost pressure or flow or the pump fails? That is why I wanted to offer a kit that is fully featured and fail safe.

Alan
Is this known for sure? Has it been tested? The ECU seems to be able to compensate for a switch between 93 octane and 87 octane gas.
How it does this I don't know but why would it not be able to do this when running water/meth?

What is the stock pipe made of?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this known for sure? Has it been tested? The ECU seems to be able to compensate for a switch between 93 octane and 87 octane gas.
How it does this I don't know but why would it not be able to do this when running water/meth?

What is the stock pipe made of?
We here in CA don't have 93 at the pump, and people that have gone big turbo want to be able to make use of the boost, you can't do that on 91 and with the big turbo you are still limited on 93 octane. Do some research on water/Meth and boosted systems, it's been used since the 50's in aircraft to gain horsepower, it was also being used in racing for many years.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
If you are tuned for 93 the ECU can compensate but you can't get the most benefit until you are able to tune specifically for WMI. By tuning for WMI you would be safer with a failsafe system like this and get more out of it.

siht daer nac uoy fi revo em lloR

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Water / Meth with Failsafe update

Well, it's been quite a challenge to get all of this engineered and completed, was a little more than I thought.

There were some other issues that came about during the install, Once connected, the fail safe system worked fine, the only problem was that if you had a aggressive map on the ST and you didn't have the water / meth armed "what then"? opps! Had to make a small change to the wiring and install a manual override, for two reasons, one if the water meth system was not armed, I wanted to make sure it was still in failsafe! and if someone forgot to turn the system on, it didn't allow the map to send high boost to the engine that had to be wired for default! And with the manual switch you could still run a race fuel tune with out the Water / meth system activated. This has all been resolved hoping to make it to dyno next week, once dynoed I will post up the system pictures with the how to for others and have the dyno's available for the power made on pump gas with the H20/meth system and failsafe. There will be some options available for the failsafe, I installed a pizzo buzzer if a alarm took place, because I wanted my system completely hidden so to keep the total clean look of the ST, there are no gauges no wires notta thing to look at, except a little led in my center console.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here are a few pictures of the install I am going to put a full installation page together once I get everything dialed in and tuned.

20140429_174736 (1).jpg Just a few wires to deal with lol

20140426_122205.jpg The charge pipe preparation for welding in the bung

20140426_131114.jpg Here is the inside view of the charge pipe

20140426_131256.jpg The completed assembly for the spray jet

20140426_160642.jpg Painted and ready for installation

20140503_174604.jpg Installed in the ST

20140503_173553.jpg 1 gallon tank installed

20140501_170526.jpg optional Pizzo alarm

20140503_174442.jpg Led for water meth status

20140503_174357.jpg Finished installation

Will be updating this as I go, if you have any questions post them up and I will answer them.

Thanks,

[email protected]
:crazy:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the finished install

20140503_174301.jpg The controller and fail safe :big smile:

·
Registered
748 Posts
If we have the TTR manifold can we mount the bundge in one of the flanges??

1 - 20 of 51 Posts