Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water meth injection is pretty foreign to me, I don?t anything about it. I understand how it works now thanks to engineering explained guy. So the real question is, what brand, which one, and why you?re suggesting it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Water meth injection is pretty foreign to me, I don?t anything about it. I understand how it works now thanks to engineering explained guy. So the real question is, what brand, which one, and why you?re suggesting it.
you plan on going single or 4 port direct injection? also are you tuning for it or just using it to cool? just for my own curiosity haha. I to am currently peicing together my WMI kit, i got the snow perfeformance kit but got the AEM boost controller and 4 AEM nozzles. I am just needing the Failsafe and tune.

IMO I like AEM over the others but when i originally purchased it i didnt plan on going 4 port injection so in hindsight I should have just got the AEM kit with everything included haha. Really i think it comes down to what kind of money you are looking to spend ( i could be wrong though, I am also still learning about it all)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I have no idea how much a meth kit even costs. Or what?s required of it. Do I NEED 4 port injection? I have no idea. Kinda waiting for someone smarter than me to explain it all haha

·
Registered
625 Posts
What are your overall goals? Single nozzle will probably meet your needs just fine.

I've got an AEM kit using Devil's Own nozzle and tank.

Something to know is the AEM nozzle will not work with a CPE charge pipe due to the location of the port as the nozzle is too long to fit. To be honest I'm not that impressed with the CPE pipe. The port is not in an easy to get to spot and I don't think the fit was all that great. If I had to do it again I probably would tap into the plastic coupler and save the money. If I had done that I could have saved money not buying the Devil's nozzle and holder.

Do not try the part Snow, Devil's and I'm sure others sell where you tap into the rubber charge pipe. The nozzle is recessed way too far. Wasted money on that as well. I don't know why they make that crap.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Honestly I have no idea how much a meth kit even costs. Or what?s required of it. Do I NEED 4 port injection? I have no idea. Kinda waiting for someone smarter than me to explain it all haha
Just your standard stage 1 kit is usually $300-$350 i think? don't quote me on that though. Unless you plan on tuning it for a big turbo set up, a single nozzle will work fine with what you want. You don't have to tune for it, you can use the kit purely for cooling and the benefits of keeping your valves clean but obviously if you want to get the full benefit of it you will have to tune for it. If you decide to tune for it that's when it gets pricey because IMO running a tune without a fail safe in case something goes wrong is like Russian roulette with your engine.

haha I hear you though man when i first started looking into it, it was like a science project that i forgot to study for haha. I ended up going to a local tuner and he helped me out a lot with it just answering questions and what not. I'm not an expert by any means but don't hesitate to shoot me a message if you ever need anything man, always happy to help as much as I can.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Here's a good basic kit from one of our reputable tuners, Stratified Auto:

CoolingMist CMGS Stage 1 (Boost Switch) [CoolingMist WMI 1] - $279.95USD : Stratified Automotive Controls

You'll likely need a throttle body spacer to mount the single nozzle, and you can order a separate tank or drill into the windshield washer tank.

Alex has videos on that page for doing the installation as well.

Which kit you get depends on your goals and your budget. At one end, a basic kit like this with a small nozzle doesn't require a separate tune and won't add much to engine output, but it will guard against a tank of bad gas, hot weather, and help to keep your valves clean.

A more expensive kit, with a failsafe device in case it fails, will require a separate tune to take advantage. And then you'll need a supply of meth and a separate tank. But you'll see a bigger increase in performance.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
On my other car i ran an AEM V2 system. I used a metal devils own sealing tap into the washer reservoir and ran -20 blue washer solution that is around 40% methanol. I would sometimes add one bottle of heet to a gallon.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
What are your horsepower goals?

This is important because that determines how much kit/system you buy.

15% of total fuel (654cc out of 4360cc)

1.5cc per 1 hp (300 hp, stock turbo) = 450cc
1.5cc per 1 hp (450 hp, GTX28xx) = 675cc
1.5cc per 1 hp (500 hp, GTX30xx) = 750cc

AEM System -

300 hp = 500 cc nozzle
450 hp = (1) 250 cc nozzle, (1) 500 cc nozzle
500 hp = Same as above

Beyond that you need direct port. Pro Meth makes a pre-bent direct injection kit for the 4 cylinder Ecoboost engine.

Pro Meth charges $200 to install it if you want to send your intake manifold in. Tasca Ford has the stock intake manifold for $50.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
What are your horsepower goals?

This is important because that determines how much kit/system you buy.

15% of total fuel (654cc out of 4360cc)

1.5cc per 1 hp (300 hp, stock turbo) = 450cc
1.5cc per 1 hp (450 hp, GTX28xx) = 675cc
1.5cc per 1 hp (500 hp, GTX30xx) = 750cc

AEM System -

300 hp = 500 cc nozzle
450 hp = (1) 250 cc nozzle, (1) 500 cc nozzle
500 hp = Same as above

Beyond that you need direct port. Pro Meth makes a pre-bent direct injection kit for the 4 cylinder Ecoboost engine.

Pro Meth charges $200 to install it if you want to send your intake manifold in. Tasca Ford has the stock intake manifold for $50.
That's a nice setup. You could also use the boomba spacer with the injection ports already drilled and tapped

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Fuel line

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Oh yeah, one other thing. With more boost, how much you run is a factor and you must increase flow. According to AEM's nozzle chart at 450 hp is 165cc more 50/50 is required if you have to run the boost over 25psi to get to your power number.

That would mean at 991cc direct port pretty much is required.

A lower cost option would be to double up on 500 cc nozzles and increase the amount of methanol in the system up to say 75% since it is a fuel. You will have to lean out the stock fuel system to compensate but burning more methanol is further cooling both in-cylinder and the air exiting the intercooler.

Both 500cc nozzles at full flow would be around 1250cc. Remember 6 inches from the throttle body is ideal for cooling the charge, while at or past the throttle body maximizes in-cylinder cooling and knock control.

This will lessen distribution problems which is the main goal here. However this will shorten the life span of the pump, by roughly 25% I would think.

As @SIstomper once said, fooling around with the stock turbo makes less and less sense everyday. If you are perfectly happy with it, fine a simple system will allow you the same timing you get on ethanol blends overall it will be roughly the same output.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright, all this sounds waaaaaay complicated. And for now, gonna pass on this lol. I never plan on going BT. But I was looking to add a little HP and some added cooling along with my Depo 3.5 FMIC.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Alright, all this sounds waaaaaay complicated. And for now, gonna pass on this lol. I never plan on going BT. But I was looking to add a little HP and some added cooling along with my Depo 3.5 FMIC.
How is it complicated? Buy a system say AEM, run 100% water it will cool more than any intercooler you can buy and allow max timing, even on 87 octane. Since you can't increase the boost and get more flow from the stock turbo, a better option is to run 50/50 water-methanol to take advantage of the oxygen content of methanol.

On 50/50 untuned (using E30 tune) 1/4 Mile Trap speed = 99.86
E30 Tune only 1/4 Mile Trap Speed 99.82

As I said equal to running a ethanol blend and that was without a tune specifically for it. With a tune you'll get a bit more power.

I never understood how people could be overwhelmed with good information especially on a site with enthusiast.

Again buy an AEM kit, follow the guidelines for nozzle selection. Just understand that either at 250 hp or 300 hp you won't get enough flow from the smallest 250cc nozzle, you need to run 500cc nozzle based on max boost of 21-22 psi and 12-13 psi at 6000 rpm, IE the window in-which the stock turbo runs if you were making a pass at the strip.

I know because my car pulled timing on a more aggressive tune with just the 250cc nozzle. But it ran pretty much the same as E30 with 91 in the tank and just the water-methanol.

Reactions: oldloudmouth

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, I'm from Australia and know nothing about this but want to do it for ****s and giggles ( and to test it for myself), can someone tell me what kit to buy, i will pay someone here to install it, I already have a Turboback ( downpipe and catback) Xforce exhaust and a stage 1 tune if that matters. Thanks

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here is the how and why you want to do this. Get a Aquamist system and do a single injector mount in the cold side intake pipe. Its the most money $1k or so and it works the best. Run a 50/50 mixture and it will not catch fire in a crash. Tune for it to get the most for your money and if not just for a margin of octane. THE MAIN REASON TO DO IS TO KEEP YOU INTAKE TRACT AND VALVES CLEAN! I ran it on a stock turbo stage 3 and now run on a 2.3 big turbo. 50k miles and no problem. It makes my kill map really run on 91oct.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts