Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay guys, so about a month ago I purchased a 2013 Focus ST. I have had three instances where water has been gathering in the driverside footwell but I can't seem to pinpoint where it is coming from. The first time I noticed this was while driving. A truck passed me, going opposite my direction, and hit a puddle of water, splashing my car. At that point I felt water hit my leg.....almost instantaneously. When I got to my destination I opened the door and noticed that water was all over the side of the dash, between the door and dripping down the speaker on the driver door side.

The second time this happened (last weekend with the hurricane) water was found on the side of the dash as well.

The last time this happened was on Monday.....still raining hard because Mobile sucks like that. I did see some water dripping from the bottom of the A-pillar and there were drops of water running down the door and the side of the dash. After searching on google for hours I have yet to find anyone with a similar problem. I opened the sunroof and poured water down the drain tube and it seemed to drain fine. I have sprayed the car with a water hose near the driver door and on the front and side windows and still can't find the leak.

Sorry for the long post but this has been bugging me for some time. And, before anyone asks, I have not taken it to the dealer but have an appointment scheduled for next week.

Thanks in advanced for any help.
Vehicle door Vehicle Car Tire Automotive exterior
Vehicle Car Family car Steering wheel

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Okay guys, so about a month ago I purchased a 2013 Focus ST. I have had three instances where water has been gathering in the driverside footwell but I can't seem to pinpoint where it is coming from. The first time I noticed this was while driving. A truck passed me, going opposite my direction, and hit a puddle of water, splashing my car. At that point I felt water hit my leg.....almost instantaneously. When I got to my destination I opened the door and noticed that water was all over the side of the dash, between the door and dripping down the speaker on the driver door side.

The second time this happened (last weekend with the hurricane) water was found on the side of the dash as well.

The last time this happened was on Monday.....still raining hard because Mobile sucks like that. I did see some water dripping from the bottom of the A-pillar and there were drops of water running down the door and the side of the dash. After searching on google for hours I have yet to find anyone with a similar problem. I opened the sunroof and poured water down the drain tube and it seemed to drain fine. I have sprayed the car with a water hose near the driver door and on the front and side windows and still can't find the leak.

Sorry for the long post but this has been bugging me for some time. And, before anyone asks, I have not taken it to the dealer but have an appointment scheduled for next week.

I was going to recommend the sunroof, but you had tested that already. Try testing the seal all along your windshield, particularly right at the top corner on the drivers side. Perhaps the seal of the windshield is acting up. Of course since you saw it at the bottom check the whole seal along the edge of the glass. Also, depending on where on the a pillar you saw it, your door seal or driver's side window could point you in the right direction also. Being as how you have a 2013, you're out of factory warranty. So unless you bought an extended plan through your dealer I hope they don't charge an arm and a leg to diagnose. Another user had a leak like this and the dealer took his car several times to the car wash to test it. Maybe if you have a cheap cheap cheap car wash nearby you can go test it out and while water is being sprayed pull back the trim and look at all the seals from inside thoroughly edit: since, that's literally what they will charge you labor to do themselves anyway.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Honestly I have no idea but what came to mind is to look around the cowl and windshield wipers. Might be coming in from behind the dash.
Hopefully it is just a seal that can be easily replaced or repaired.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Take a look at the door seal along the top of your drivers side door. Otherwise look under the weather stripping on the roof if anything is clogged up in the drain. Lastly I would also spray the car with a hose near the upper drivers side of the windshield to see if I am still seeing water coming into the car (could be the window seal). For it be in the A pillar its coming from up top near the windshield or from in the headliner.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to recommend the sunroof, but you had tested that already. Try testing the seal all along your windshield, particularly right at the top corner on the drivers side. Perhaps the seal of the windshield is acting up. Of course since you saw it at the bottom check the whole seal along the edge of the glass. Also, depending on where on the a pillar you saw it, your door seal or driver's side window could point you in the right direction also. Being as how you have a 2013, you're out of factory warranty. So unless you bought an extended plan through your dealer I hope they don't charge an arm and a leg to diagnose. Another user had a leak like this and the dealer took his car several times to the car wash to test it. Maybe if you have a cheap cheap cheap car wash nearby you can go test it out and while water is being sprayed pull back the trim and look at all the seals from inside thoroughly edit: since, that's literally what they will charge you labor to do themselves anyway.
Thanks for the input. Most of what you have suggested I have already attempted. I spent nearly an hour, yesterday, spraying the car with a water and came up nill. Thankfully the car is still under warranty so I shouldn't have to pay for anything....this go around.

Honestly I have no idea but what came to mind is to look around the cowl and windshield wipers. Might be coming in from behind the dash.
Hopefully it is just a seal that can be easily replaced or repaired.
Coming from behind the dash could be a possibility but I have a hard time seeing how it is possible...namely because of where the water concentration is. In a little bit I will try and add some photos of exactly where the water is ending up.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Take a look at the door seal along the top of your drivers side door. Otherwise look under the weather stripping on the roof if anything is clogged up in the drain. Lastly I would also spray the car with a hose near the upper drivers side of the windshield to see if I am still seeing water coming into the car (could be the window seal). For it be in the A pillar its coming from up top near the windshield or from in the headliner.
Yeah I'm with you about coming from the top if it's in the a pillar area. This certainly isn't a common problem

Thanks for the input. Most of what you have suggested I have already attempted. I spent nearly an hour, yesterday, spraying the car with a water and came up nill. Thankfully the car is still under warranty so I shouldn't have to pay for anything....this go around.

Coming from behind the dash could be a possibility but I have a hard time seeing how it is possible...namely because of where the water concentration is. In a little bit I will try and add some photos of exactly where the water is ending up.
Can you take a picture of exactly where the water is coming from? Can you tell if the water is running down from anywhere or just seeping through wherever you spotted the water? There is only so many places it could come from depending on where you spotted it at.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
if you have a pressure washer, use that to test instead of a hose. The biggest thing people forget is just how strong some forces are. Like a watch rated to 30M can break just by doing a cannonball into a pool, simply due to pressure exerted on the watch at time of impact. With the truck splash and high winds hurracane weather, both of those are getting some strong help at pushing the water through.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Definitely check with a higher pressure hose or pressure washer the top corner of the windshield and areas at the top of your door because for water to get into there it can be a big deal with all the electronics behind not only the lights and dials right there but also your OBD2 port and steering wheel wiring. If you can't figure out where it is leaking from with a pressure washer, then does this only happen when driving? Maybe something is leaking from up under your wheel well/firewall/engine bay? Super unlikely because it would never reach that high into your interior, but hey I've seen weirder.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
.....really stupid thought, but take it through a touchless drive through wash... then you can keep your eyes off the road and really look for where this water is coming from?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
.....really stupid thought, but take it through a touchless drive through wash... then you can keep your eyes off the road and really look for where this water is coming from?
That was what I recommended in post #2 because this is literally what the dealer will do, they often take it to car washes and just run it through at Ford's expense over and over until they find it

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
my bad... i didnt read all responses :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I talked with a buddy of mine at work who has a 2005 V6 mustang that had similar symptoms on the RHS. It ended up being a cowling drain that got plugged and would fill up. When his car was parked level he wouldn't have an issue but if it was parked on an incline it would leak really bad. At work I am parking on a slight incline and it leaked the same way his did. The RHS of his dash had water very similar to mine. When I checked the drains on the driver side I peaked in to see the top opening of the drain and didn't see anything blocking....however, I didn't check the lower portion of the car where the water would drain out. It could be that the drain is clogged but not to the point where water can't escape. I will have to check that out at a later time. I will be sure to let y'all know the results. Once again, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with the level vs incline statement from experience. My 2011 ses would get water in the rear drivers side footwell whenever I was parked in the driveway during storm. All the door seals looked fine, never saw any water in the sunroof. So I'd park on the street or bottom of the driveway during storms

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with the level vs incline statement from experience. My 2011 ses would get water in the rear drivers side footwell whenever I was parked in the driveway during storm. All the door seals looked fine, never saw any water in the sunroof. So I'd park on the street or bottom of the driveway during storms

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
The dealer called me a few minutes ago and said the cause of the leaking was the driver-side sunroof drain. I had poured water down it before and it drained but the incline must have had something to do with it. I will still keep an eye out on it to make sure that it doesn't happen again. I am still skeptical on their find but I am always expecting the worse in situations like this so fingers crossed that was it. I asked specifically if the water was getting on the side of the dash and they said yes. Thank God I saw it leaking through the A-Pillar. Hopefully this helps anyone else out having the same issues. I will keep this thread updated if anymore water is found....hopefully no update will be required.

Thanks again for all the advice!

·
Registered
14 Posts

View attachment 281857 View attachment 281865
did you ever figure out what the seal was or where the issue was becasue im having the same thing happen to me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.