Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home tonight and the temps were 68 degrees and there was a nice fine mist in the air. Perfect turbo weather... Needless to say the car was pulling very strong. It got me thinking...

I ran water injection in my SRT-4 (I used regular blue washer fluid not straight water) and had good result keeping detonation away and reducing charge temps.

With what you guys know about how the ST's ecu works would using water injection help drop temps and provide more room for added timing? I understand that the ECU can add some timing of its own if it deems safe, would we be able to gain anything with just adding water injection without a retune?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which I agree with, but I'm more curious for the folks that already have and Access Port and are tuned. I doubt the factory tune would benefit, but i'm wondering if we can squeak some more out of an already tuned car.

water/methanol injection will help any forced induction application. You will need a tune to properly harness the benefits of such an install.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Which I agree with, but I'm more curious for the folks that already have and Access Port and are tuned. I doubt the factory tune would benefit, but i'm wondering if we can squeak some more out of an already tuned car.
Someone said somewhere that a car running the factory IC and a tune would benefit more than someone already running a bigger IC. This true?

Sent from my HTC One

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
You still need to re-tune for the methanol injection regardless of the current state of the ECU map. You can advance the timing more from what Snow Performance has done to Camaro's that are supercharged.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would also love to get rid of the super low torque peak.

I always have my eyes and ears open for larger turbo options... I am listening ;)

It will cool the charge. But as some point - I think its best to just add a ported or larger turbo and unstress the rods at the lower RPM. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
You still need to re-tune for the methanol injection regardless of the current state of the ECU map. You can advance the timing more from what Snow Performance has done to Camaro's that are supercharged.
According to Torrie, his tune will take the W/M injection into account. Also his W/M system comes in at 10 lbs. boost as opposed to other systems that only work on WOT.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right, but what does that mean? The tune can add more timing if its not pinging? I am guessing any tune will do that as most any modern car will always try to raise timing to a certain point..

According to Torrie, his tune will take the W/M injection into account. Also his W/M system comes in at 10 lbs. boost as opposed to other systems that only work on WOT.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I read somewhere in one of the Unleashed threads that his tune rides the knock sensor. I'd imagine all the tunes are doing the same thing but to what extent, only the tuners themselves know that.

Sorry Kaizen: didn't mean to stomp on your area with another tuner's stuff. Thought it was general discussion.

Right, but what does that mean? The tune can add more timing if its not pinging? I am guessing any tune will do that as most any modern car will always try to raise timing to a certain point..

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that's pretty much how most engine management systems run don't they?

Maybe we can get Kaizen's input here since this is a tuner forum ;)

I read somewhere in one of the Unleashed threads that his tune rides the knock sensor. I'd imagine all the tunes are doing the same thing but to what extent, only the tuners themselves know that.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Sorry Kaizen: didn't mean to stomp on your area with another tuner's stuff. Thought it was general discussion.
No Problem - you guys are all welcome to talk this over here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Phil,

I run a 50/50 meth mix on my b5 s4. I run a dual failsafe setup with both a level and flow sensor so if i run into either problems it shuts the car down to wastegate boost level. As nice as meth is it is still considered a bandaid for not just running race gas ;).

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, but its alot cheaper and easier than race gas ;) Unless E70/E85 becomes easier to fill up with on a weekly basis...

I'd assume that with E70/E85 and proper tuning that water injection is pointless?

Phil,

I run a 50/50 meth mix on my b5 s4. I run a dual failsafe setup with both a level and flow sensor so if i run into either problems it shuts the car down to wastegate boost level. As nice as meth is it is still considered a bandaid for not just running race gas ;).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts