Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening,

So took the advice of another member and purchased the Turbosmart wastegate actuator. The install doesn't look hard, however the preloading part has my head spinning. Anyone done this mod? Any advice on the preloading? Right now I am FBO running a e30 tune from unleashed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
5,391 Posts

And

· Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
5,391 Posts
Sorry, that's why I added that. It's not my place to lecture people about what they want, but if I were you I would return that or sell it and put it towards something else.

· Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, that's why I added that. It's not my place to lecture people about what they want, but if I were you I would return that or sell it and put it towards something else.
its still very much appreciated, i don't plan to big turbo till next year so lets see if it can at least hold some boost a little while longer...

· Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
5,391 Posts
I adjusted my preload all the way in and had Stratified tune for it.

I'm hunting down a factory long block and just going through it.
Big motor & Big turbo. I'm in no rush as I've been busy hunting electrical gremlins for people and mentally beating them to death with my over explanations! LMAO!
Just try some tuning and enjoy your ride.

Stay safe!

J

Reactions: Dirtfiend602

· Administrator
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,331 Posts
I also I'm just running the factory wastegate fully pre-loaded. I don't know how much more you'll get out of our little snail with a stronger wastegate. I think it's pretty much out of breath in the upper RPMs.
Yeah, theres not much to be gained for the money there. I think the record K03 whp record with a turbosmart wga, was like 300whp. I've seen stage 3 at 295 whp. I had a leaky bov and put down 281 whp at 21 psi on a dyno. With the tightened wastegate i was making 24.5 psi on the replaced bov. Granted this was a dynojet, so ymmv and inflated numbers, lol.

Saving that 180, and putting it towards water meth would be the best bang for your bucks. Even running a tiny nozzle, youd be maxing out ign corrections for the tune, colder CAT, and cleaning your valves. No tuning necessary with such little injection. Running a bigger nozzle will upset the fuel ratios and require a tune though, but a lil guy will sort you with less worry.

· Registered
1 Posts
Well I installed it butttttt my boost doesn’t go past 11-13 psi....advice? No check engine or anything else factory tune and it’s tighter almost all the way
Hello, saw you resolved the issue with the WGA what ended up fixing it? Was it pre load? I’m currently dealing with my WGDC being too high for the amount of boost it’s trying to get. I think the culprit is the pre load but I’m not too sure

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi so I’m kind of new to the whole ST and everything. Had just purchased one and went with a simple turbo smart BOV install only to run into a slight problem. I know im just getting started working with cars and know im not the brightest but not the dumbest either. Watched videos and everything of where it should be and how to do it. So my question is, what do I do if my stock BPV isn’t on the car? I took the wheel off and looked in the exact spot it should be and it’s just not there, the plate isn’t there and spit for the BOV to be installed. Honestly left confused at this point.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Rim Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design Synthetic rubber

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
@Ptown your car has a big turbo of some sort. Can you get more photos of it from underneath, up above, and around back?

Edit: just ran the part number on the housing. You have an older 2867 Garrett turbo. This is great news

· Registered
2016 ST2
332 Posts
@Ptown your car has a big turbo of some sort. Can you get more photos of it from underneath, up above, and around back?

Edit: just ran the part number on the housing. You have an older 2867 Garrett turbo. This is great news
Surprise! You’re big turbo!

· Registered
8 Posts

Also confused why I’m only hitting 12psi with my boost? Have checked all my hoses and nothing seems or feels lose. I have ran it stage 2 and stage 0 and regardless come out with 12psi of boost.

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
What he said^^

You need to run the custom map that was included with the car.

If for some reason you didn't get an accessport with the car when you bought it then you have to get a custom tune immediately, otherwise engine failure will occur. Don't drive the car until a tuner provides you with a base map

Some pictures of the downpipe, charge pipes, intake manifold area, and intercooler would help us determine what supporting mods it has

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.