Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Never had the the stock intake

What is your bov adjusted too. Mine is on the lowest setting.where the cap just covers the second o-ring on the body. At that point there should be very minimal flutter. But you will hear it faintly if you give it just enough throttle to where it's not quite enough to blow off.I also have mine hooked to the symposer delete so I get a little bit more now but it doesn't go off all the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It’s opened up a destiny amout and is the delete worth it I was thinking about doing it just because of how cheap it is

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ya I’m going to take it down to my local performance shop and see if they can give me any advice too this is my first turbo car I always ran super charges before so it’s all fairly new to me

·
Super Moderator
7,147 Posts
Ya I’m going to take it down to my local performance shop and see if they can give me any advice too this is my first turbo car I always ran super charges before so it’s all fairly new to me
Where are you located? Maybe a local member could assist.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That video shows flutter that all our cars do, all the time . Depending on what intake you have you can hear it more clearly/loudly than others. So letting off the accelerator and hearing that is how the car operates, it's completely normal

In your other post you said it ALSO happens as you're accelerating, which is not normal. That's what we're trying to help you with so if you're able to get a video or audio clip that could really help. I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to those of us who have/do run the COBB OTS tunes (I know you said you're stock tuned) but that flutter happens as you're accelerating, right around when boost kicks in. Once you start building 4, 5ish PSI or more it goes away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ya that’s what I’m trying to figure out why it does it when accelerating I’ll try to get a clip of doing it on highway I wonder if it’s a result of the accident it was in possibility cuz it was a front end collision on the drive side and I did replace intake manafold cuz of it

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
I’m located in Latrobe pa
Ohh! Thats a bit far for most of my PA ST guys, there is a western PA group though. You could reach out, maybe a little meet and greet.
Most of us are Philly/Lehigh Valley/Lancaster/Harrisburg but there are a lot of lurkers from Pittsburgh and in between on the PA ST/RS Facebook group. We are 810+ strong now. If you're on FB check us out and if you don't have a pic of your car on your FB visible just PM me your name and I'll accept if you're looking for locals to assist.

·
Registered
820 Posts
That's completely normal, that's not even compressor surge, that's just the bov attempting to open but being in-between the psi where it fully opens and stays closed so it's partially opening the spring up and leaving these lil fluffers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Turbos smart 50/50 does not require a tune. It won’t hurt anything, myself and a few others here in the Cincinnati area ran drop in filter no air box, BOV, and exhaust no time for a while. These mods do not change enough to require a tune. However you can get a tune with these upgrades and make more power. The “ratios” won’t be out enough to do any damage. And if so then why was there no damage done to mine and it was ran that way for a year and a half before I finally went with a Cobb tune. It’s a release of air pressure that’s it. It doesn’t effect anything major. I mean if you go to the Cobb website and choose a map and you aren’t sure of what stage you’re at they give you a checklist of mods, the BOV isn’t on that list.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Turbos smart 50/50 does not require a tune. It won’t hurt anything, myself and a few others here in the Cincinnati area ran drop in filter no air box, BOV, and exhaust no time for a while. These mods do not change enough to require a tune. However you can get a tune with these upgrades and make more power. The “ratios” won’t be out enough to do any damage. And if so then why was there no damage done to mine and it was ran that way for a year and a half before I finally went with a Cobb tune. It’s a release of air pressure that’s it. It doesn’t effect anything major. I mean if you go to the Cobb website and choose a map and you aren’t sure of what stage you’re at they give you a checklist of mods, the BOV isn’t on that list.
We are talking about wastegates not BOV(Blow off valves) or BPV(pressure bypass valves). Running an aftermarket wastegate you WILL need a tune unless you want your wastegate at say 100% duty cycle at idle. 😂😂

Bov isn't on the list of mods on Cobb's website because it isn't a real power mod per say it doesn't alter your hp or tq output. Secondly it's not going to affect your A/F ratio or STFT or LTFT because the Focus ST is a speed density tuned car not a MAF tuned car. I could go on but it's that simple.

There was no damage done to your car because the things you applied to your car do not force change, an open intake or filter or catback exhaust, don't do much because although they are there the stock ecu is still running on factory strategies and timing and nothing is telling it to increase boost or anything. That's why your "ratios" don't change enough to cause damage like say melt your pistons by running to lean because there isn't enough fuel cooling your pistons.

With a WASTEGATE, it's mechanical and if you put an aftermarket one in without telling the ECU you had done this it will affect alot, boost higher then you want to early and hold boost much longer causing extremely high EGTs. And numerous other problems. Also these tunes your speaking off, you won't cause issues running those bolt ons you mentioned on a car like this without a tune, but you go and throw a tune on this car that was made for different parts, say you have "stage 1"(I hate stage talk"). And you put a stage 3 tune on or 2 even, it's very possible you will run your car super super lean or rich causing problems you don't want to deal with. Okiedokie.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We are talking about wastegates not BOV(Blow off valves) or BPV(pressure bypass valves). Running an aftermarket wastegate you WILL need a tune unless you want your wastegate at say 100% duty cycle at idle. 😂😂

Bov isn't on the list of mods on Cobb's website because it isn't a real power mod per say it doesn't alter your hp or tq output. Secondly it's not going to affect your A/F ratio or STFT or LTFT because the Focus ST is a speed density tuned car not a MAF tuned car. I could go on but it's that simple.

There was no damage done to your car because the things you applied to your car do not force change, an open intake or filter or catback exhaust, don't do much because although they are there the stock ecu is still running on factory strategies and timing and nothing is telling it to increase boost or anything. That's why your "ratios" don't change enough to cause damage like say melt your pistons by running to lean because there isn't enough fuel cooling your pistons.

With a WASTEGATE, it's mechanical and if you put an aftermarket one in without telling the ECU you had done this it will affect alot, boost higher then you want to early and hold boost much longer causing extremely high EGTs. And numerous other problems. Also these tunes your speaking off, you won't cause issues running those bolt ons you mentioned on a car like this without a tune, but you go and throw a tune on this car that was made for different parts, say you have "stage 1"(I hate stage talk"). And you put a stage 3 tune on or 2 even, it's very possible you will run your car super super lean or rich causing problems you don't want to deal with. Okiedokie.

Calm down home slice, I made a mistake. I hate when people get all snotty over the keyboard on these forum sites when someone makes a little mistake. Probably wouldn’t get like that face to face. LOL. For some idiotic reason I thought of BOV when I read “WASTEGATE”. My bad. I understand how things work nice explanation though big caps.

Okie dokie.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Oh I'd still tell you that face to face. It wasn't meant to come across ****ish, just informative. And I only put like 3 words in caplocks only because I wanted to make sure that those words stood out, as those were the words I was defining. And I mean the way you wrote your first post seemed kinda egghh, with the" I ran this tune and it didn't break my car explain that to me attitude", so maybe look at your own post before complaining about others, I mean how was that to be taken? Either way wasn't meant as anything but informative and if that was what you felt as keyboard ninjaing or whatever, you'd have gone crazy in the mazdaspeedforum.org, it was HARSH in there. If you said anything noobish or slightly tard, oh man you'd get raked over the coals. People used to get banned or left there in droves because they'd get butthurt.

·
Super Moderator
7,147 Posts
Calm down home slice, I made a mistake. I hate when people get all snotty over the keyboard on these forum sites when someone makes a little mistake. Probably wouldn’t get like that face to face. LOL. For some idiotic reason I thought of BOV when I read “WASTEGATE”. My bad. I understand how things work nice explanation though big caps.

Okie dokie.
Oh I'd still tell you that face to face. It wasn't meant to come across ****ish, just informative. And I only put like 3 words in caplocks only because I wanted to make sure that those words stood out, as those were the words I was defining. And I mean the way you wrote your first post seemed kinda egghh, with the" I ran this tune and it didn't break my car explain that to me attitude", so maybe look at your own post before complaining about others, I mean how was that to be taken? Either way wasn't meant as anything but informative and if that was what you felt as keyboard ninjaing or whatever, you'd have gone crazy in the mazdaspeedforum.org, it was HARSH in there. If you said anything noobish or slightly tard, oh man you'd get raked over the coals. People used to get banned or left there in droves because they'd get butthurt.
Lets not take this down the fail trail to Bansville.

·
Registered
820 Posts

Okie dokie.
Yoo Mikey!!! My bad I didn't mean to come off as **** bud, were all ST enthusiasts here, so as close as we're gonna get to man to man, I apologize. Have a good one!!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts