Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2013 Focus st with 67k miles. Only after markets on it is Borla Catback, Air Intake, Cobb Stage 1 93 tune. When Im at an idle ive noticed the wastegate is always slightly open like .75-2%. While im cruising on the highway it is constanly open at around 55%-70%. When I go full throttle it drops to 45% and opens up to 70%-80% like normal. My gas mileage has been really low around 22mpg. I replaced the Boost Control Solenoid with no change. I tried looking at the turbo from under the car and from what I could see everything looks ok. Any ideas on what I should check next? Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Its a stock BPV
They have been known to fail, meaning the rubber gasket fail. You can get an aftermarket bov for under 200 but if you can't right now, pm me. I still have mine that I took of last week for a turbosmart. Has 7k miles on it. I'll ship it to you as long as you can cover the shipping cost.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
BPV is not wastegate. OP said wastegate is always slightly open.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Oops my bad. Didn't read it right. Thanks for pointing that out to me haha

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
No worries!

I wasn't casting a stone so much as trying to get confirmation from the OP!

It wouldn't be the first time I intended to use one noun and inadvertently used a related, but different noun.

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What worries me the most is how wide open the wastegate is at very low throttle inputs. Ill be doing 70 on the highway with cruise control, and the wastegate is open to about 70%. I go to pass someone and actually engage the turbo the waste gate actual closes too about 30%,than opens back up to around 70-80% when hitting max boost. Turbo feel like it wants to spool when i barely put any gas into it. Ive also noticed that when I put the car in the economy slot, the waste gate is closed 100% of the time, which is telling me the wastegate itself is fine. Thanks for all the help so far everyone!!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
What worries me the most is how wide open the wastegate is at very low throttle inputs. Ill be doing 70 on the highway with cruise control, and the wastegate is open to about 70%. I go to pass someone and actually engage the turbo the waste gate actual closes too about 30%,than opens back up to around 70-80% when hitting max boost. Turbo feel like it wants to spool when i barely put any gas into it. Ive also noticed that when I put the car in the economy slot, the waste gate is closed 100% of the time, which is telling me the wastegate itself is fine. Thanks for all the help so far everyone!!!
Sounds pretty normal, what you're seeing. Remember that WGDC is duty cycle of the boost control solenoid, not actual wastegate flapper position. You need positive manifold pressure applied to the wastegate canister for to even start opening... so WGDC while in cruise/vacuum is pretty meaningless, and really that vacuum would be helping keep the wastegate shut if anything. Hope this helps, this car boost control system is more or less like any boosted car I have experience with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thank you so much for clearing this up for me. This is my first turbo car and just trying to understand everything. Dont want to blow anything up on my baby lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts