Ford Focus ST Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Its all trolling to me at this point. If its a double thread with a "I searched all over" in it, its trolling in my book!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nah im not trolling I have a focus st and woundering what I can get away with. Pretty much what im gathering is, its rolling the dice. I was hoping for some people went through the same situation. Yes, I have a mazdaspeed with a bigger turbo no im not trolling.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Nah im not trolling I have a focus st and woundering what I can get away with. Pretty much what im gathering is, its rolling the dice. I was hoping for some people went through the same situation. Yes, I have a mazdaspeed with a bigger turbo no im not trolling.
Warranties are there for the vehicle as it rolls off the showroom floor. When you modify the way it performs, you now are responsible for the repairs if your modification caused a failure. It's that simple.

If you tune it and then your glovebox falls off. You're covered.

If you tune it and the car goes lean and you melt a piston. You just bought an engine.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm sure this has been said a billion times, but just return it to the stock tune before you bring it in for maintenance.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You can get away with not putting ford oil in it. Everything else on the car, if it wasn't there when the car was delivered from the factory you are taking a chance on that part or something that part can affect. If yo put a ap on the car, and the headlights don't work you are probably ok. If you put a ap on the car and it doesn't start you are probably screwed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just be smart about it. Return to stock as much as you can before you go to the dealership for anything. If you have an aftermarket filter/intake remove it. If you have a flasher, uninstall it. I have an exhaust and a rear sway bar that I payed my dealer to install although I didn't have to just so I'm straight and they can see I'm working with them.

Looking through the blown motor thread it seems they will do the right thing now and then and if the part you have is not responsible for the failure they will help. Unless those people are lying I see dealerships/ford covering Stage 3 bolt ons and tuned cars. I'm sure that is exception though but still it shows not everyone is out to screw you. Then again if you have problems there is a big chance that the parts you put WILL be responsible for the problem especially if you are not tuned properly.

Just to be sure remember the golden rule. If you can't pay, don't play.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Not sure if this was posted before. From SEMAs website.

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information

In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

“The FTC’s reference to aftermarket parts is equally applicable to specialty parts,” said Russ Deane, SEMA’s General Counsel. “Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warranty cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications unless those parts or services are provided free of charge.”

The alert notes that a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the new car warranty. The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts.

The FTC alert may be downloaded using this link: Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information.

The alert was issued in response to an FTC complaint filed last August by the Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA), Automotive Oil Change Association (AOCA) and the Tire Industry Association (TIA).

Questions? Contact Stuart Gosswein at [email protected].

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is a long thread and I didn't read every word, but there is something I wanted to clarify.

There is a difference between a voided warranty and a repair that is not covered under warranty.

A voided warranty is not common. This only occurs when the vehicle is modified to the point of causing extensive damage. Like an over-sized turbocharger, upgraded FMIC, tune and a intake that results in the engine grenading and damaging other components such as the transmission, half shafts, etc. In any instance that the dealer feels that the vehicle is either too modified or abused by the owner can apply to have the warranty voided. When applying, they have to prove that the damage was caused by the aftermarket component and then have supporting facts as to why the warranty should be voided.

Other instances of when a warranty is voided is damage from weather for example, a flood or hail. The repairs will be covered through insurance but the dealer may void the warranty as there may be future issues.

A repair not covered under warranty will rarely void the warranty. If you have a TCBP or MAP sensor that fails after a cold air intake is installed, it might not be warrant-able. If you put a down pipe and a cat back exhaust that smokes your turbo, it may not be warrant-able.

A repair not made under warranty or a warranty that is voided is at the dealer's discretion but they have to prove that the damage is directly related to aftermarket components.

Aftermarket components include Ford Performance, Roush and any other brand out there. If they caused the damage, it is not a factory defect and therefore it is not warrant-able.

·
Registered
506 Posts
my warranty is almost up, for TSB do they only work on it if you have that problem? can I tell them to do all the TSB before warranty is up?

·
Registered
292 Posts
my warranty is almost up, for TSB do they only work on it if you have that problem? can I tell them to do all the TSB before warranty is up?
Generally they want to see the problem. In the past I have brought a car in with a known TSB and just asked them nicely to correct it. They did. Give it a try.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts