Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
What do you want from a manufacturer. they sold you A, you added B,it became C . C broke, you want them to fix A I( wouldn't do it,why should they?
Once again, don't sweat the small stuff, you need a new head, got a piston out the side of the block left second gear at some intersection, it ain't going to be the dealer warranting your car. There will be a man from Ford with those special Delphi readers looking at your car and reading all your electronics.
Seems fair to me.
Please go back and read my post, where did I say they should? I'm willing to pay to play, I'm just asking for a opinion like Drewster opinion on how a part sold by let say Cobb who put a lot of hours on producing the part will cause another part in the vehicle to fail? I'm not here asking for excuses for Ford to honor my warranty after I installed a Mod.

·
Registered
211 Posts
When you install a mod you have to think of your warranty as void from that point on literally. Its not worth it to worry about if this or that will void the warranty. If you want no questions asked when you go into your dealer with a blown anything or anything you want fixed by warranty don't mod the car. Like its been said the ford dealership is the one to determine if you get warranty repairs or not. Its not cut and dry or black and white. One mechanic may not know its a different FMIC or different Turbo, while another may know. Its just the luck of the draw. Ford dealer can refuse to touch the car at all as well and tell you sorry. They will either repair the vehicle no charge(warranty) Repair the vehicle with you paying for it (warranty void) or they can refuse to touch the car at all if you've modified it beyond a point that they want to risk their own work later

·
Registered
519 Posts
It's actually against the law for your warranty to be voided on the basis of modifications. Basically they have to prove that the modification caused the failure of a part. Proof without any doubt or speculation and that's up to the dealer to prove. If they can't prove that and deny you the warranty take them to court. That easy.

Read this and it'll give you a better explanation.

What Voids Your Vehicle's Warranty? -- Edmunds.com

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
So basically, i (or reputable shop with receipts) install intake and exhaust. Turbo goes boom. Diagnosis determines a faulty oil line. Still covered.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
What about a coilover set? If installed by a reputable shop.
If the failure is unrelated to the suspension then you're okay (less bottoming out and breaking something). ANYTHING suspension related will not be covered. I've seen cases of ball joint bolts snapping and they were not covered on a Focus due to an aftermarket suspension setup on the car which does not require you to touch the ball joints. Ford didn't care the shop didn't touch the ball joints. The owner couldn't prove the forces exerted on the ball joint pinch bolt were within Ford specs.

It's pretty simple and not sure why people are having so much trouble grasping this. If you part is in the same "system" as the failure, you are at risk for denied coverage. Period. It doesn't matter if it makes sense, ANYTHING that alters what Ford engineering and installed on the car can and will be blamed for the failure. Yes, a better FMIC reduces IATs and is safer. Can you prove there is less pressure drop across the core than the Ford design? How about end tank flow? Can you prove the turbo Ford picked was engineered work with the larger core? The FMIC will not cause a failure, but Ford isn't going to foot the repair bill if you went and changed the entire intake tract and your turbo failed. Saying Cobb or Pumaspeed publishes these numbers isn't going to suffice.

Generally, anything after the catalytic converter is safe to be modified regarding warranty work. Intake may not be since there's no way to prove you didn't damage the turbo, run without a filter, use a lower-quality filter, etc. etc. etc. and it will be pinned as a failure. I'm not being doom and gloom, but realistic. You have to accept the risk and pay to play. If you're THAT worried about it, don't modify the car.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had plenty of these issues with my modded Mazdaspeed 3 back in the day and unfortunately, a lot of dealers don't care what knowledge you've armed yourself with. I tried the whole Magnusson-Moss Act argument and even then they pretty much put a hand in my face and made me pay to get my car back. Could I have argued it? Sure. Would it have made a difference? Probably not. I had enough mods that for any issues they found that were engine/performance related that they pretty much denied me at every turn. Of course they weren't mod-friendly at all from the get go and I should have taken note of that, but a piece of paper in your hand isn't going to change an ignorant mind at a dealership.

If it ever happens with the ST, I'll be arguing it a lot more, but then again, the whole reason behind staying as stock as possible (with some go-fast... eFocus RMM and Cobb AP) is to avoid that until my warranty is up anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
At the time of shaking my hand w/ the dealer, I asked what would NOT void the warranty as far as installation of aftermarket parts goes. The only way to avoid the problem, from the financial guys stand point, was to have it installed by a certified "SVT" dealer. Wether or not that is realistic or not, I don't know (google can't find one in CO).

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had my car in the dealer recently.
I asked about ford racing catbacks. They said wouldn't void the warranty unless the installer broke something.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Warranty Questions? Overseas.

I am currently overseas and bought my ST from a military dealer. It hasnt been long, but I was bit by the modification bug, and I want to start modding the car. I do not want to void my warranty though. My warranty says any and ALL work MUST be done by the Ford dealer. I am aware of the law that says dealers cannot void the warranty unless they prove that the mod caused the issue. So, for example, if I buy a cold air intake, should I take it to Ford and see if they will put it on? I have a hard time believing that they will do that. Should I just do the work myself and hope nothing goes wrong? What would you do?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm in the same boat obviously, and that is the exact reason why I did not buy any extended warranty. From reading various forums, it seems there have been a few people who have had their complete warranty voided for aftermarket parts not even related to the problem. Germany does not have the a Magnuson-Moss Act to follow. But, I have not met anyone personally who this has happened to.

Having said that, does it really say ALL work MUST be done by the Ford dealer?

At some point I'm going to try to get the motormount TSB completed, as well as the corner light safety recall. I'm curious to see how that goes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just want some peace of mind before I go and do stuff to the car. I was told by my dealer (who is also my buddy) that I should wait to go back to the States before I mod the car. I have another 1.5 years in Germany left before I head back to the States. I dont think I can wait. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, let's say I hypothetically go for TR3's new turbo kit and full bolt-ons plus whatever else.. and the engine blows. If I had kept all the stock parts and completely replaced all of the aftermarket parts with the stock ones and then took it to the dealership they wouldn't be able to find anything that would void the warranty correct?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
So, let's say I hypothetically go for TR3's new turbo kit and full bolt-ons plus whatever else.. and the engine blows. If I had kept all the stock parts and completely replaced all of the aftermarket parts with the stock ones and then took it to the dealership they wouldn't be able to find anything that would void the warranty correct?
False. First of all there would be tell tale data in the computer, second of all damage to the engine would show up via tell tale witness marks, plus the fact that the fasteners won't be installed as they were from the factory. If it gets to that point the computer may be sent to ford and the tear down pictures would tell the tale. Besides that's also fraudulent behavior trying to return the car to stock before service when the modifications could have caused the damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ah, well I believe you could have started off by saying it was fraud lol. That would have been plenty. Sorry for the now-obvious question. I guess there really is such a thing as a stupid question

·
Registered
46 Posts
Warranty voided with AP?

I've read a few threads with this question in it. However, I feel the need to make a new one. Has anyone had the warranty voided over an accessport? I know they need to prove the mod caused the issue but we all know that BS they will do what they want. I just installed the cobb intake and want a freektune now. My car is a lease and I don't wanna screw myself. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've read a few threads with this question in it. However, I feel the need to make a new one.
Ok, i'll bite..
Why the need for another thread on exactly the same thing that's been asked hundreds of times before? were the answers in the previous hundred threads not sufficient?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Yes I believe some have had certain warranty work denied because of the car having been tuned at one time. They will never void your entire warranty but with a tune you risk having some engine warranty denied although its definitely not a guarantee. As most have said on here is a tune worth it? Absolutely, but you gotta pay to play. I have not tuned mine for this reason but I did install cat back exhaust. A coworker of mine has an st also and the only mod he has done and will do is the tune because he feels it is less likely to have warranty work denied for. So who really knows. There is no wrong answer here really. Do what makes you happy! Best of luck in your choice! Ps....I am sure [email protected] would love to discuss this with you. He owns an st as his daily driver and only vehicle and is the tuner for panda motorworks.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 96 Posts