Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Flaco, it's not you, it's that time of the month, everyone's a little pissy.

Sites like these don't have the smartest seach engines. Search for "warranty" and you'll get a list of ever thread that has that word in one of the posts. You need to fine tune the search and look for something like "waranty aftermarket void" and it will give more useful results.

That said, having a sticky thread on loss of warranty coverage with all the info into one spot would make sense.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
FYI I did use the search to no avail.. Dont belive me? search "warranty" and you will see. Im sorry I pissed people off asking this question.
Agreed, the first page you see a ton of posts which clearly contain the word warranty, but nothing that may obviously answer your question. Again, I think a sticky that is out front, requires no search and has answers to common warranty questions would be helpful.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Or you could just go ask your local dealer if you install this mod and it breaks, is the warranty voided? Or call Ford...pretty sure if they say "no" then you're not covered if you install the mod... I'm just sayin'
What the hell is the point of being part of a forum if people like you want everyone to check every available outlet before actually posting on the Forum. Cmon dude be realistic. Thats what FOrums are for.... JUST SAYIN

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Or you could just go ask your local dealer if you install this mod and it breaks, is the warranty voided? Or call Ford...pretty sure if they say "no" then you're not covered if you install the mod... I'm just sayin'
Really not that good of an idea... most dealers are CLUELESS when it comes to your RIGHTS! Some dealers will tell you that ANYTHING you do to your car will VOID your warranty, which is a FLAT OUT LIE! If you are going to mod your car at all you should know your rights! Which basically boils down to, the dealer needs to show that your specific mod is the actual cause of the problem. And if they can do that they can deny your warranty claim, not void your warranty.

Now as far as things like downpipes and upgraded FMICs... you pop your motor and most likely Ford will say you caused the motor to operate outside of it's designed specifications and would most like deny your warranty claim... Ford released a bulletin for the 3.5 EcoBoost with a whole bunch of things to look for including things like aftermarket exhausts...

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Ok.. here is TBS 10-2-6 that came out for the 3.5 EcoBoost... wouldn't be surprised if one comes out for the 2.0.

Unauthorized calibration modifications may or may not be detectable using standard tools (Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS), Portable Diagnostic Software (PDS), NGS+ VCM). Changes can be made to the calibration and flashed to the PCM through the OBD port. Physical modifications to the hardware may or may not be present. If aftermarket power/torque-increasing modifications are suspected, care should be taken to record and store the following items: Permanent Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), Pending DTCs, Freeze Frame Data, Mode 6 and Mode 9 data. The data should be printed and attached to the repair order for later reference.
The DTCs, freeze frame data, Mode 6 and 9 data can be obtained by using the IDS, PDS or NGS+VCM under tool box selection. The Powertrain tab will provide the OBD Test Modes tab and Mode 6 and 9 data selection after the vehicle has been identified.

Attempting to increase the engine output via recalibrating the PCM may result in poor drivability, DTCs, or component failures. A partial list of calibration induced component failures is given below:

* Piston damage.
* Spark over-advanced (knock-induced damage).
* Insufficient enrichment.

Excessive Cylinder Pressure:

* Turbocharger damage.

Over-Speed:

* Catalyst damage.

Over-Temperature/Melting:

* Transmission, PTU, Torque converter damage.

Hardware Modifications:

The following list contains items that are frequently modified in an effort to increase the engines torque/power output. Modifying these items may, or may not improve the performance, but can lead to drivability issues, DTCs and possibly component failures:

* Air induction system (air box, low pressure and high pressure air ducts).

The system may be particularly susceptible to flexible air ducts between the air filter and the compressors. Restrictions on either side of the compressor can result in over-speeding the turbo (Figures 5-6).

* Wastegate actuator pre-tension.

The full load output of some turbocharged engines will increase if the wastegate spring pre-tension is increased. This is not the case with the EcoBoost engine. Adjusting the wastegate pre-tension out of the specified range can result in DTCs. A tamper evident paint dot has been applied to the wastegate actuator adjustment mechanism to make modifications more apparent.

* Throttle inlet and intake manifold pressure sensors.

These sensors and the associated wiring should be inspected to verify they have not been modified.

* Additional fuel injection devices.

The high pressure fuel system used for the EcoBoost engine will not support additional fuel flow beyond what the factory calibration requests. Inspect the engine for an additional aftermarket injector(s) located somewhere in the induction system to provided increased fuel flow.

* PCV system modifications.

If the PCV system is modified (vented to atmosphere being the most common modification) it can result in a condition where oil gets past the turbine seal even on an undamaged, fully functional turbocharger. Oil in the exhaust system may not be sufficient evidence to identify a failed turbo if the PCV system has been compromised.

* Compressor bypass modifications (a.k.a. blow-off valve, or anti-surge valve).

It is common to modify these components so they make more noise. If the aftermarket devices fail to seal properly when closed, elevated turbo speeds and compressor outlet temperatures will occur.

* Exhaust air path/system.

Removal of catalysts or mufflers/resonators to reduce exhaust backpressure may result in over-speeding the turbo(s).

* Thermostat modifications.

Blocking open the thermostat may reduce the coolant flow to the turbo chargers. Wastegate Tamper Evident Paint Dot

Click the image to open in full size.
Figure 1 - Article 10-2-6

Review Engine Damage:

Piston Damage

Top ring delaminating and top ring land pitting caused by excessive spark advance.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What the hell is the point of being part of a forum if people like you want everyone to check every available outlet before actually posting on the Forum. Cmon dude be realistic. Thats what FOrums are for.... JUST SAYIN
I'm sorry for expecting people to do their own damn work instead of asking others to do it for them. Like rearching whether or not something you put on your car is going to void the warranty. Let me see, would you like me to do you job for you, too? How about decide who you're voting for next election? You're right, let's let other people do your research before you make a decision that could potentially cost you thousands of dollars in damage if it's the wrong one. You go ahead and make those decisions based on the internet's opinion and words of wisdom.

Really not that good of an idea... most dealers are CLUELESS when it comes to your RIGHTS! Some dealers will tell you that ANYTHING you do to your car will VOID your warranty, which is a FLAT OUT LIE! If you are going to mod your car at all you should know your rights! Which basically boils down to, the dealer needs to show that your specific mod is the actual cause of the problem. And if they can do that they can deny your warranty claim, not void your warranty.

Now as far as things like downpipes and upgraded FMICs... you pop your motor and most likely Ford will say you caused the motor to operate outside of it's designed specifications and would most like deny your warranty claim... Ford released a bulletin for the 3.5 EcoBoost with a whole bunch of things to look for including things like aftermarket exhausts...
That was really more sarcastic than anything. My point is that maybe people should do their own research, like maybe reading the damn warranty on the vehicle that you purchased. There are things that you can absolutely trust a forum with, like which mod is going to work better or be cheaper. Not sure I would trust anybody but my lawyer with any information about the warranty.

·
Registered
467 Posts
All in all, whether it be adding an air filter or heck even changing the oil yourself and something happening to the engine afterwards could possibly void the warranty. Any modification made to the car to give it more performance like a down pipe, motor mount, IC, any thing that can or could cause something to go wrong on the vehicle will void the warranty. If you want to retain the factory warranty don't make any mods maybe an exception would be changing an air filter but even then sometimes ford or any other dealer says if that cause engine damage later down the road the engine won't be covered. I talked to a ford tech I know very well and they told me any flashing of the ECU can be seen. Even if flashed back to stock days before taking it to dealer. He said really it comes down to how the car was made and designed for. Ford will warranty any problems with the car stock but if ECU is changed or anything like a down pipe or IC are installed and it causes a problem down the road it won't be covered under warranty.

As far as the search dilemma that's going on here same threads over the same thing don't bother me. I usually watch the threads I participate in, by clicking the current "tab" at the bottom and then selecting participated in at the top of the page. It's interesting seeing what new people and experienced people have to say in new same subject threads. Some people are happy replying to someone needing help and others hate seeing the same thread posted over and over. Everyone has their different opinions on it. There is I don't know how many different threads on motor mounts and within some of the threads I don't see users complaining about using the search feature or googling it. It is what it is, there's plenty of opinions on products and etc on this forum for someone to get an idea of what best suits their needs/wants or help them with a warranty question. Hope I don't cause anymore ruckus by saying all that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Themchughs2: Dude you are a prick. Where are you stationed? I just came from Bragg but I have to go to Benning in June. Maybe we can meet up and hash out our differences in person.

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Whoa! WTH? Really? Let's all take a deep breath and think before responding further on this thread. Name calling and where have you been stationed....this is a mature forum and not some cherry azzed measuring contest. Exchange info, not insults. If you have nothing to contribute, view some of the other threads here. No time for Trolls.

·
Registered
33 Posts
MOD Warranty

Just trying to get some information from Ford before going in to the dealer and ask the manager, this is what I got from Ford Service. What to do you guys think, I'm just trying to come up with a possible scenario that will cause a part to fail cause by a FMIC, Exhaust or CAI, I guess at this point that is up to whatever dealer your working with to honor the warranty, so if the manager is an asshole your'e pretty much done. Even if you get Tanner's car :smile:

Screen Shot 2013-04-16 at 11.50.53 AM.png

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
You're not going to get a straight answers there, they have to play the politically-correct CYA game.

What they said is 100% true though and has been repeated here many times. If the part you install causes the failure, warranty will not cover it. Coilovers installed and motor blows? You're ok. Downpipe installed and LCA breaks, you're ok. FMIC installed and turbo blows...dealership may blame it on that. Be smart.

A car sold through a Ford dealer as a new Ford vehicle (Shelby, Foust, etc.) will have their own warranties I'm sure which may differ from a standard car warranty. That does NOT mean you can install the same parts on your base ST and demand Ford covers any failures as a result. Argument being the special edition car was designed from the ground-up with the parts installed by a Ford technician. Anything you install yourself without technician documentation is going to be under fire if it can be traced to the failure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know this is being beating to death already, I just wanted to share the respond I got on twitter from Ford, what I'm trying to understand since I'm not a mechanic or have a lot of experience with car mechanical parts is what exactly a FMIC or Catback will cause a part to fail, I know the dealer is going to blame it to the MOD, but what he is going to say, to much cold air make your turbo kabom!

·
Super Moderator
6,611 Posts
I know this is being beating to death already, I just wanted to share the respond I got on twitter from Ford, what I'm trying to understand since I'm not a mechanic or have a lot of experience with car mechanical parts is what exactly a FMIC or Catback will cause a part to fail, I know the dealer is going to blame it to the MOD, but what he is going to say, to much cold air make your turbo kabom!
Not much they could say about an inter-cooler without a tune since all it will do is make the car more efficient; the factory maps will compensate for any power gains. Intake and exhaust they may claim allow the turbo to spool too fast if the turbo fails.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Not much they could say about an inter-cooler without a tune since all it will do is make the car more efficient; the factory maps will compensate for any power gains. Intake and exhaust they may claim allow the turbo to spool too fast if the turbo fails.
To play devil's advocate, they could claim the pressure differential across the FMIC wasn't accounted for in Ford's design

·
Registered
92 Posts
What do you want from a manufacturer. they sold you A, you added B,it became C . C broke, you want them to fix A I( wouldn't do it,why should they?
Once again, don't sweat the small stuff, you need a new head, got a piston out the side of the block left second gear at some intersection, it ain't going to be the dealer warranting your car. There will be a man from Ford with those special Delphi readers looking at your car and reading all your electronics.
Seems fair to me.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
You're talking about the psi from the turbo? I think that's regulated by the computer unless you get a tune.
I'm saying you've got a MAP sensor the bolts onto the new FMIC and another MAP in the manifold. If I'm a skeevy dealer and I say that a FMIC throws off the algorithms calculating air volume/ density, it may be BS, but how do you prove me wrong?

41 - 60 of 96 Posts