Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would say search around this forum a bit. After that ask your service department. The reason is, everyone will give you a different answer. The warranty paperwork that comes with the car says anything in the form of exhaust or intake will void it. Flashing your ECU would as well although there are many here that say the dealer can't tell as this ECU does not have a counter or switch. Others will tell you that legally they can't void your warranty without proof and cause. It really comes down to if you are truly concerned, don't mod. Like I said, everyone will tell you something different. Good luck!
The exhaust should not affect the warranty, usually anything after the catalytic does not matter.

As for the tune, if found to have been the cause of the failure of a warrantied part yes it would void that portion of the warranty. Now you can flash back to the stock ECM before taking it in, and that will help. But there is a 0/1 switch on the ECM program to tell the tech that ECM has been flashed. If you know anyone at a dealer I would tell them in advance, it's up to the Tech to answer yes or no on the 0/1 switch. Think of it as rooting your Android phone, then can tell if you have even after flashing back to a stock ROM.

CAI, just swap it out with the factory before taking it into the dealer. Just protects you from the obvious.
I know the service manager, maybe that's where I go next. I've never destroyed anything modding, but its all old stuff like early EFI Turbocoupes and Mustangs. First new car so just checking. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I know the service manager, maybe that's where I go next. I've never destroyed anything modding, but its all old stuff like early EFI Turbocoupes and Mustangs. First new car so just checking. Thanks.
Welcome from a fellow Lima owner!

And bringing it to service, just revert to stock, ESPECIALLY the tune. You could always attempt to plead ignorant if there is a counter. Then again, they should have to prove whatever you did caused the damage. Change the rear sway bar and motor blows, warranty will definitely cover it. Throw on a big turbo and pop the motor...break out the credit card.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sometimes the dealers can still detect that the ECU was flashed. I know I've heard this happening with 135/335 Cobb AP users. I'm not sure if Ford can too. I luckily never had issues with my SRT4 when I began to mod. I had more problems with it during the first 500-800 miles on it. So I never had to use my extended warranty or warranty in general. If you ever have to make a dealer visit just be sure to remove the aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had an 07 mustang with a steeda intake & tune. Tranny went out so I reflased it to stock & no questions from the dealer, but the second time the tranny went I left the tune in and intake on & they didn't question me then either. Your taking a chance by tuning but they have to prove the fault & can't void the actual warranty only refuse to honor it if they prove you at fault.

In all honesty you'll have more concerns if you drive like a moron than if you tune it.

Reactions: fordfan90

·
Registered
16 Posts
warranty

Question about Rear motor mount. Do you know if we replace the stock RMM for an after market we broke the warranty?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It would not void the entire warranty. the dealership would have to prove that the mod resulted in the damage claim. A rmm would not void the warranty for the stereo, but could void it for other bits

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am getting the dealer too install the e-focus RMM as part of the deal to buy from them instead of another dealer. ford RMM ford dealer installed no warranty problems the e-focus RMM is not as stiff as the after market ones but is much better than the stock RMM and this car will be my DD and not raced i think it will be enough.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Warranty

Does anyone know if installing the aftermarket down pipe and inter cooler void the warranty? Thx in advance

·
Super Moderator
7,928 Posts
Does anyone know if installing the aftermarket down pipe and inter cooler void the warranty? Thx in advance
If they cause something to break...yes.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Please do a search on the forum before posting threads on this. There are already several threads on this topic.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Because it would take 2 seconds to search for the word "warranty" instead of making a new thread about it. It seems like every day a new thread is made about this topic. All the information on it has already been stated, there isn't a point to making a new thread on it all the time. If you have an issue or a different question post away, but why fill up the new post feed with 20 threads all about the same topic?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Not to flame or anything but it also muddies the waters or people who do use the search function first and a dozen threads come up with little to no info in them also.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Who cares how many threads there are of this why does it matter
Imagine coming on to the forum and the whole first page of the section is about warranty because people think it's easier to start a thread that been cover so many time instead of do a little search before hand. I am sure most people are willing to help if the person did a search and couldn't find a answer to a specific topic. But the OP's question had been cover many time.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Why not have a mod make a sticky with commonly asked warranty questions, so it is easily seen by all?

Reactions: Yugisama

·
Registered
331 Posts
FYI I did use the search to no avail.. Dont belive me? search "warranty" and you will see. Im sorry I pissed people off asking this question.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Or you could just go ask your local dealer if you install this mod and it breaks, is the warranty voided? Or call Ford...pretty sure if they say "no" then you're not covered if you install the mod... I'm just sayin'

21 - 40 of 96 Posts