Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... we all want to mod our STs but the question is... what is going to void waarranties and if so. What warranties is eeveryone willing to void. And lastly how many people are willing to do that. I know I'm having a lot of difficult decisions in that department.

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
I may be keeping my ST for a while, so I rolled over the 100,000 mile warranty when I traded in my Taurus. Gonna have to be careful what I modify. My salesman gave me a funny look when I started talking about tunes and what not!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well if you're concerned about your warranty, perhaps the first thing you should do before you do anything silly is place a call to a local Ford service department (preferably one that deals with performance Fords) and ask if what you're thinking about will void it.

I personally don't plan on doing much of anything performance wise. I'd consider a re-tune, air intake, etc. Things of that nature. But one of the first things my saleman did was walk me back to their service desk, introduced me to the head guy, and said don't hesitate to ask about warranty concerns if or when you do any mods.

Sure, they may want to sell you something, but I believe they'd ahve to be obliged to tell you the truth upon questioning. And if at first you get the "wrong" answer, try a different dealership. Doesn't hurt to CYA should an issue arrise.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Anything you do will void warranty...No matter if the part caused the problem or not, the dealer will always try to void your warranty and blame it on your modifications.

Exhaust may be ok, probably only a catback though. But crap as simple as a cold air intake will do you in at the dealer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
When I had my speed6 - I bought the mazdaspeed CAI for it and they installed it for free that way there was no way they could say anything about the warranty. It sucks that Ford doesn't have something similar for just a CAI...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think every dealer is a little different. If you have a long standing relationship with the service dept, you might be able to get away with some tomfoolery on certain things. At the same time, they could be completely by-the-book with no wiggle room at all. Call your dealer or service dept. and get to know them. It may cause some extra scrutiny during service, but then you would have dodged a very expensive bullet. Wait a few years, save your money, and pay the car off - then go crazy like a monkey at a banana plantation.

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Check out the Magnuson-Moss consumer act. It prevents dealers from denying service to vehicles that were modified by other than their manufactured parts. It goes on to state that the dealership must prove that the item other than theirs caused the damage before the warranty could be voided. I'm no lawyer but I would be leery of experimental items that aren't tested and certified. Checking with the dealer definitely will get you more info as well, especially if you have them perform the work.

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
One last item that needs to be mentioned about this warranty issue. The dealership makes money off of the warranty repair. The only one that takes a hit is Ford since it pays the dealership to do the repair.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Check out the Magnuson-Moss consumer act. It prevents dealers from denying service to vehicles that were modified by other than their manufactured parts. It goes on to state that the dealership must prove that the item other than theirs caused the damage before the warranty could be voided...
That may be true on paper but also may mean absolutely nothing in real life.

The reality is that a dealership can do absolutely anything it wants about denying warranty coverage and, if you NEED your car NOW, will have to buy its freedom by paying the bill. No tickee, no wash!

Maybe, with an attorney or by spending time in court, you could get your money back. Do you have the $ or the free time to deal with that?

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Have you spoke with your dealership about this warranty concern of yours? Warranty work is not a hassle to the dealership, they make money on this venture, so in essence the dealership would like you to come in for warranty work. The question that needs to be asked is whether or not the mods done to your vehicle are REASONABLE. Of course if you go above and beyond reasonable there's going to be a problem. The dealership gets that guidance from Ford.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ok so tired of people saying a cat-back and intake system will void warranty, IT WILL NOT... the dealership has to prove that is what caused the problem. listen a cat back will cause nothing to go wrong with your car the only thing that will void is the cat back warranty not anything else same goes for the intake. both can cause any issues...

·
Registered
71 Posts
ohh and another thing. if you take your car in with one of those 2 items i mentioned and they say they will not fix your car under warranty and you have to pay for it. give ford a call they set the dealership right really quick. and trust me i know i work for ford.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Well, if you mod your intake and the engine ingests something that's not in a gaseous form, you're paying for the engine. If you put shorter springs on and you kill your shock absorbers, you're paying for them... and so on, you get the picture. ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
The exhaust should not affect the warranty, usually anything after the catalytic does not matter.

As for the tune, if found to have been the cause of the failure of a warrantied part yes it would void that portion of the warranty. Now you can flash back to the stock ECM before taking it in, and that will help. But there is a 0/1 switch on the ECM program to tell the tech that ECM has been flashed. If you know anyone at a dealer I would tell them in advance, it's up to the Tech to answer yes or no on the 0/1 switch. Think of it as rooting your Android phone, then can tell if you have even after flashing back to a stock ROM.

CAI, just swap it out with the facory before taking it into the dealer. Just protects you from the obvious.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, if you mod your intake and the engine ingests something that's not in a gaseous form, you're paying for the engine. If you put shorter springs on and you kill your shock absorbers, you're paying for them... and so on, you get the picture. ;)
Ha, I should amend that with the tune as my biggest concern. If I put SCT's tune on my car, can I put it back to stock without the dealer knowing?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I would say search around this forum a bit. After that ask your service department. The reason is, everyone will give you a different answer. The warranty paperwork that comes with the car says anything in the form of exhaust or intake will void it. Flashing your ECU would as well although there are many here that say the dealer can't tell as this ECU does not have a counter or switch. Others will tell you that legally they can't void your warranty without proof and cause. It really comes down to if you are truly concerned, don't mod. Like I said, everyone will tell you something different. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 96 Posts