Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Car is currently at the dealer and they are saying my driver side strut mount bad. However, because i have lowering springs, they are saying that Ford may not cover the repair AND they have to disclose to ford my aftermarket part, which essentially black balls me.

Any way around this to get this covered under my 36k warranty? can they truly make the correlation that aftermarket springs caused this?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I wouldn't see how it would be covered... pay to play! you modded it you deal with the cost of fixing it!

top mounts aren't very much, tell them to put it back together and take it home and to it yourself!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
My Car is currently at the dealer and they are saying my driver side strut mount bad. However, because i have lowering springs, they are saying that Ford may not cover the repair AND they have to disclose to ford my aftermarket part, which essentially black balls me.

Any way around this to get this covered under my 36k warranty? can they truly make the correlation that aftermarket springs caused this?

thanks in advance!
Are we talking about the $7 part that mounts the strut to the car? My rear driver's side on just failed and I replaced it myself in literally 17 minutes in my driveway. When you get warranty work done always take off aftermarket and put on stock stuff if you think they could correlate it to the damage. Which I could easily see the lowering springs causing this issue. They aren't made for stock struts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are we talking about the $7 part that mounts the strut to the car? My rear driver's side on just failed and I replaced it myself in literally 17 minutes in my driveway. When you get warranty work done always take off aftermarket and put on stock stuff if you think they could correlate it to the damage. Which I could easily see the lowering springs causing this issue. They aren't made for stock struts.
unfortunately, my car came with lowering springs :(

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts

thanks in advance!
Are you talking about the top hat/bearing on the top of the strut? Those things go bad by looking at them. Unfortunately to replace it you need to remove the strut and use a spring compressor to get the tension off of the spring to replace the bearing. If the bearing was not replaced when the springs were I could see this adding to a premature failure as they generally come apart upon removal. The little ball bearings can be hard to find if they do.

·
Registered
768 Posts
So that begs the question then...if you're swapping to aftermarket lowering springs or even a full coil over swap, is it worth while to replace these? Is it required with coil overs?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So that begs the question then...if you're swapping to aftermarket lowering springs or even a full coil over swap, is it worth while to replace these? Is it required with coil overs?
welp, my strut is bad too...soo ill be replacing everything with a fill coilover kit

·
Registered
651 Posts
welp, my strut is bad too...soo ill be replacing everything with a fill coilover kit
Nice! I see you're in Phoenix? WHO ARE YOU? lol I or another one of the guys in AZ ST would be happy to help.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
You will be better off... trust me. I have ridden in many STs with drop springs and driven a few and I am on coilovers and the ride and drive IS WAY BETTER!!!!

Sell your drop springs to someone and make up a few of the bucks spent ;)

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
You will be better off... trust me. I have ridden in many STs with drop springs and driven a few and I am on coilovers and the ride and drive IS WAY BETTER!!!!

Agreed, stock struts with lowering springs is garbage.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

need a good recommendation for a solid set, not looking to destroy my bank account. This is a dd only, not track time.

Looks to be between Bilstein ST, or K-Sport for kits under $1000?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
need a good recommendation for a solid set, not looking to destroy my bank account. This is a dd only, not track time.

Looks to be between Bilstein ST, or K-Sport for kits under $1000?
ST SUSPENSION!!! what I run and picked up for $8XX on amazon... night and day difference and acts and handles like a completely different car.

Find someone local to install if you cant do it yourself. super easy install (I have put suspension on 13 STs so I say easy with lot of experience)

http://www.stsuspensions.com/

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
What brand do you run? I am currently on Mountune lowering springs. It does not void your warranty. It is a ford performance certified part. Ford approves it, they fix it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts