Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back story: I bought my used 2013 FoST about a year ago (September 2015) with 40k miles and have had no problems until recently. The car was in excellent mechanical shape (had two personal mechanics look at it) and just for my peace of mind, I bought an extended 4 year/48k mile MAX coverage warranty. I bought the car from a used car dealer in NJ that I recently found out went out of business about 6 months ago. I'm now having transmission problems which are almost definitely the 2nd gear synchro issues that the 2013 FoST's are notorious for. Like I said, the dealer went out of business and I've been clueless as to whether the extended warranty I bought was still valid or not.

After a few weeks, I finally got confirmation that the warranty is valid and active. I'm able to go to any Ford dealer or any licensed repair shop and use it...however, I still have a problem. I bought the car full Stage 3. I mean, it was tuned, had an exhaust, FMIC, intake, BOV, etc...Hell, it even has the big mouth snorkel. The biggest problem though is that it has a short-shift kit. I am 100% that if I were to go to a Ford dealership right now, they'd look at the car, say no and flag the VIN for the modifications. I know a family friend who owns a licensed shop and just spoke to him and he even told me that typically, a re-evaluator is sent out before repairs and if they see the mods, they'll flag it.

So since my deductible is only $150 and buying a new trans out of pocket will obviously be more expensive, I'm looking to delete the mods I need to and send it in for repairs. The actual problems that I have is that I don't know which mods will flag a transmission warranty and when I bought the car, I didn't get any of the original hardware. I know I will definitely need to take out the short shift kit but is there anything else? The engine mods shouldn't affect the transmission in Ford's eyes, will it? I didn't get the AP that was paired with the car when I bought it and haven't gone and bought a new one so I really don't want to spend $500 for an AP3 to flash the car back to stock before taking it in for repairs. Unfortunately, like I said, the dealer I bought the car from went out of business so I can't use them to verify that the mods were installed when I purchased the car.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Back story: I bought my used 2013 FoST about a year ago (September 2015) with 40k miles and have had no problems until recently. The car was in excellent mechanical shape (had two personal mechanics look at it) and just for my peace of mind, I bought an extended 4 year/48k mile MAX coverage warranty. I bought the car from a used car dealer in NJ that I recently found out went out of business about 6 months ago. I'm now having transmission problems which are almost definitely the 2nd gear synchro issues that the 2013 FoST's are notorious for. Like I said, the dealer went out of business and I've been clueless as to whether the extended warranty I bought was still valid or not.

After a few weeks, I finally got confirmation that the warranty is valid and active. I'm able to go to any Ford dealer or any licensed repair shop and use it...however, I still have a problem. I bought the car full Stage 3. I mean, it was tuned, had an exhaust, FMIC, intake, BOV, etc...Hell, it even has the big mouth snorkel. The biggest problem though is that it has a short-shift kit. I am 100% that if I were to go to a Ford dealership right now, they'd look at the car, say no and flag the VIN for the modifications. I know a family friend who owns a licensed shop and just spoke to him and he even told me that typically, a re-evaluator is sent out before repairs and if they see the mods, they'll flag it.

So since my deductible is only $150 and buying a new trans out of pocket will obviously be more expensive, I'm looking to delete the mods I need to and send it in for repairs. The actual problems that I have is that I don't know which mods will flag a transmission warranty and when I bought the car, I didn't get any of the original hardware. I know I will definitely need to take out the short shift kit but is there anything else? The engine mods shouldn't affect the transmission in Ford's eyes, will it? I didn't get the AP that was paired with the car when I bought it and haven't gone and bought a new one so I really don't want to spend $500 for an AP3 to flash the car back to stock before taking it in for repairs. Unfortunately, like I said, the dealer I bought the car from went out of business so I can't use them to verify that the mods were installed when I purchased the car.
I would think the tune by itself would deny it. All they have to say is any added hp is what caused the extra unwanted stress to the syncros. I wish you the best of luck though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts

How many miles are on the car now? You mentioned you purchased with 40k and the drivetrain warranty goes for 5yr/60k. If it's less then 60k the extended warranty will not touch it and you have to take it back to Ford, your bolt-ons then will become a problem.

Assuming it's over 60k the extended warranty company will send out a rep to confirm they are not replacing a tranny in a race car basically. A friend of mine had the same thing happen on his Camaro, he had to pull the nitrous kit and make sure there were no signs or racing(burnt tires, ext), they sent out a rep and she took a few pictures, tranny replacement approved. His car was tuned with full bolt-ons but it helped he knew the shop owner and told him what to look out for. It's not like they drive the car around or put it on a dyno, it just cannot have any signs of racing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many miles are on the car now? You mentioned you purchased with 40k and the drivetrain warranty goes for 5yr/60k. If it's less then 60k the extended warranty will not touch it and you have to take it back to Ford, your bolt-ons then will become a problem.

Assuming it's over 60k the extended warranty company will send out a rep to confirm they are not replacing a tranny in a race car basically. A friend of mine had the same thing happen on his Camaro, he had to pull the nitrous kit and make sure there were no signs or racing(burnt tires, ext), they sent out a rep and she took a few pictures, tranny replacement approved. His car was tuned with full bolt-ons but it helped he knew the shop owner and told him what to look out for. It's not like they drive the car around or put it on a dyno, it just cannot have any signs of racing.

Good luck!
The car currently has about 67,xxx. So it's outside of Ford's extended 60k transmission warranty. The only warranty the car has right now is the third-party extended warranty.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The car currently has about 67,xxx. So it's outside of Ford's extended 60k transmission warranty. The only warranty the car has right now is the third-party extended warranty.
Then you need to find out as much as you can about the warranty company you're about to dance with, not Ford. I also wouldn't take it to a Ford dealership. I would work with the family friends shop and have him middleman the deal, basically do whatever he says needs to be done to pass the reps inspection and he gets the repair job. You could be fine as it sits, just comes down to how anal the 3rd party warranty company is. I've seen it go both ways.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then you need to find out as much as you can about the warranty company you're about to dance with, not Ford. I also wouldn't take it to a Ford dealership. I would work with the family friends shop and have him middleman the deal, basically do whatever he says needs to be done to pass the reps inspection and he gets the repair job. You could be fine as it sits, just comes down to how anal the 3rd party warranty company is. I've seen it go both ways.
I spoke to him and he said that as long as delete the short shift kit, I should be okay so that's what I'll have to try. Trying to delete all of my mods will end up costing me more than buying a new trans out of pocket so now I'll just need to find a stock shift arm, bracket, and bushings or borrow them from another member.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I spoke to him and he said that as long as delete the short shift kit, I should be okay so that's what I'll have to try. Trying to delete all of my mods will end up costing me more than buying a new trans out of pocket so now I'll just need to find a stock shift arm, bracket, and bushings or borrow them from another member.
You should be able to find most of that in the FS section of this forum or post in the WTB section, good luck!

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you sure that the short shifter isn't the OEM Ford unit? If it is the Ford piece, then you shouldn't have any warranty issues. It even says on the Ford Parts website that it will not affect warranty.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure that the short shifter isn't the OEM Ford unit? If it is the Ford piece, then you shouldn't have any warranty issues. It even says on the Ford Parts website that it will not affect warranty.
It's a short arm and it's a Steeda bracket--not sure about the bushings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts