Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems within the short time I've owned my vehicle I warped the rotors. I was just curious if anyone knew if Ford gives some kind of warranty on them or if I should just buy new ones. It's a 15' with 11500 miles and I bought it exactly one year ago at 2500 miles.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would say since its a wear item they will not cover them or do anything about it.

I know when I got my 14 with 21k, the rotors felt alittle warped. I ended up getting better rotors and pads a few months later.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Depends on the situation. In general it is a wear item that would not be covered. However, Ford covered warped rotors on my Mom's old 2008 Taurus. The rotors warped before her first oil change (meaning an argument could be made that the parts were defective due to so few miles). With a car at 11500, you are probably out of luck on it, but can always ask your service rep.

Reactions: Bradley

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a tech at benz and we give a 2 year 24000 on rotors but yea I guess I should just give them a call, appreciate your inputs guys, thanks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You can call and ask, that is a little short for rotors, but it's not like the first 1000 miles. You'd have to consult your specific warranty package too. Benz is not as mass produced as Ford is so it makes sense to me that they offer a warranty on their rotors. I don't anticipate Ford covering though because it's a wear item. They'll probably just say buy new rotors and brake better, but good luck

·
Registered
102 Posts
They (the dealership) could through any number of reasons at it as to why they won't cover it.

I'd talk to your local service manager. If he/she seems unmoved, you'll likely be buying. Then again, they might throw something your way.

Also, it would be a shame *cough cough* if you had to upgrade components...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be quite the shame to upgrade components which I have every intention of doing so but I thought I could get a solid 2 years out of the stock pads and rotors, I drive like a mad man but not on a regular basis but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. If I didn't just buy an intercooler I would be all for a big brake upgrade but I'll probably just go for the budget upgrade of good rotors and pads.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Rotors don't typically warp, and haven't for more than ten years, due to better technology and processes in manufacturing.

Often its pad deposits in 98.3% of cases. Do a brake bedding procedure to verify. It wouldn't hurt to also take some 100grit sandpaper to the rotors and scuff them all over, both sides, then perform the bedding process.
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446_6443

·
Registered
43 Posts
i would try and take it to the dealer you purchased the car. depending on their service dept they may take care of this as a goodwill repair.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Agreed, warped rotors are a myth these days. Usually just poor bedding. -Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

I had an issue when I first tried my Wilwood FNSL6 kit on the track with their Poly B compound on some Centric Volvo S80 rotors. I had massive vibration on track but brakes had plenty of stopping power. I ended up getting a new set and having the "warped ones" lighly turned at O'Reilly's and they worked fine after that. I ran them on the street and eventually and kept them as a backup track set. I eventually used them on the track again later and they've been fine since.

Dan

Reactions: grindMARC
1 - 11 of 11 Posts