Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know our direct injection motors eventually accumulate carbon build-up on our valves and heads. Oil catch cans can help reduce this, but I never bothered. I've since come around (after 65K miles), and finally ordered an oil catch can. But what to do about the already accumulated gunk? Conventional induction system cleaning is ineffective, and can be very harmful to our turbos. It's definitely NOT recommended. A quick Google search for my area returns a BMW dealership. Apparently BMWs have the same issue that we have, but worse. Their solution is to partially disassemble the top of the motor to get access to the heads and valves, etc, and blast the gunk away with crushed walnut shells. It's much less damaging than blasting with glass beads. My question(s), after a long-winded intro, is; who on here, particularly in the midwest, has had this service done? Where did you have it done. What did it cost. How many days were you without your car? Was there a noticeable improvement afterward? Surprisingly, my local Ford dealership does offer a direct injection cleaning service, despite its lack of effectiveness, and its potential for causing damage. Anyone please chime in if you have any advice, and especially if you've had any experiance on this subject.

I've also included a link with additional info. Hopefully its allowed.

Induction Service Cleaners Can Damage Ford EcoBoost Engines - PickupTrucks.com News

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've been interested in the walnut blasting myself as I'm over the 90k mark in my FoST. Curious to hear some owner stories that have had it done if there are any.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also interested to hear about this too. Ive got 100k without an OCC so I'm sure I've got some buildup in there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Do it by hand and save money. Take off the manifold and use CRC DI cleaner in the 3 cylinders with the valves closed. Spray it, let it sit for a while then takes a old toothbrush to the valves and stems. Then use a rag or a shop vac to soak/suck the crud out. Rotate the motor by hand and close the valves on the 4th cylinder and repeat. No harm because nothing is getting in the motor.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
There is a local guy where I live, that does this for folks, using a brass rifle cleaning kit and some chemicals. The cleaning kit consists of metal brushes and extensions. There are also some solvents used at the time to loosen the grime with it. The before and after pictures are striking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts