Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I ordered the Damond Motorsport Oil Catch Can Stage 3 kit with no VTA option, but they sent me a VTA option anyway. My question is why would I want this?! What are the advantages and disadvantages? Can I just take that little filter off and plug the hole if I decide I don't want it?

For reference I am running a stage 2 tune with a 3.5" Depo intercooler and a recirc valve as opposed to a vta blow off valve.

·
Registered
46 Posts
run it.
the way damond did it with the check valve is good. it allows you to keep vacuum in the crankcase when not in boost. (important on a street car)
when in boost. the boost closes the check valve on the intake manifold tube, not allowing any boost to enter can. when that happens your excess pressure is forced to find a place to vent other than intake manifold, giving the can a filter with a check valve gives the pressure an easy place to vent while maintaining the ability to keep crankcase vacuum under normal operation.

I cannot stress the importance of maintaing proper crankcase pressures enough!!! the steeda air oil seperator clogged on me and i replaced 2 turbos before found out i had a crankcase pressure issue causing large amounts of smoke just by pushing the brake pedal while idling. pressure build ups will always find the weakest link. in my case dumping oil into the hot side of the turbo was the easiest way out

1 - 2 of 2 Posts