Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has prob been posted before but I figured I'd let any new buyers know what I found. I picked up my new ST today and the finance guy was pushing the extended warranty, gap Insurance, etc. Well one of the things he tried to sell me was Etching the VIN on all the glass. He's telling me how police surveys have shown it helps with stolen vehicles Bla Bla Bla. I declined. So I get the car home and I'm giving it a wipe down and what do I find? Every single piece of glass has the VIN etched on it from the factory! Idk if all cars come like this but a 2017 ST does.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
This has prob been posted before but I figured I'd let any new buyers know what I found. I picked up my new ST today and the finance guy was pushing the extended warranty, gap Insurance, etc. Well one of the things he tried to sell me was Etching the VIN on all the glass. He's telling me how police surveys have shown it helps with stolen vehicles Bla Bla Bla. I declined. So I get the car home and I'm giving it a wipe down and what do I find? Every single piece of glass has the VIN etched on it from the factory! Idk if all cars come like this but a 2017 ST does.
lol I believe it, sleazy finance guys

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not surprising, the dealer does it as part of the prep and then tries to sell it. No harm to you, or benefit either, you didn't buy it so the dealer didn't put it in the system. I don't see anything sleazy about it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not surprising, the dealer does it as part of the prep and then tries to sell it. No harm to you, or benefit either, you didn't buy it so the dealer didn't put it in the system. I don't see anything sleazy about it.
You know for sure that the dealer does this? Because the car was only off the truck for 24hrs and they didn't finish prepping it, I did. I think it was done by Ford

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Vin etching, phantom footprints, its all propaganda to take your money. If you have full coverage insurance theres no reason for it.
Its true though, when they prep the cars they do put all these products on, then they try to sell it. If you dont buy it then that car wont get put in the system, like was said in an earlier post, no harm no foul.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is not a system that I have ever heard of that Law enforcement monitors. The one value of having the Vin on every piece of glass is the cost of replacing it. It also helps in identifying your car if ever stolen. plus if the parts ever find their way on to another car it can be traced to your stolen one. But no need to pay for it.
Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Vin etching is a scam because the police don't even lift a finger to find your stolen car except taking a report. My friends F-150 got stolen police took a report over the phone mailed it to him by the end of the week he had a check to buy another truck from his insurance. My insurance isn't any cheaper with it they probably be the beneficiary of any parts recovered.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Heck, even my 16-year-old mustang has its vin etched in all of the glass. Ford has been doing this for quite some time. Of all the up-sells...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts