Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, searched all through the forums and couldn't find a proper thread for this kind of thing.

2014 ST3 with just under 60k miles. I'm the 2nd owner, got the car with just over 25k miles on it.

I changed my oil last Thursday (6qts Mobil 1 5w-30 with Mobil 1 Filter) and cleaned and re-oiled my Green Air Filter, but now some funky stuff is going on. From red lights, and any stops, I get bad vibrations and growling at the tail end of letting out the clutch, then for shortly after the clutch is fully out. It's much less noticeable letting out in 2nd, but still there. After third, I don't really notice anything. It does sound funky if I put it under a load though, like tough acceleration in 2nd or 3rd (flooring it).

It doesn't matter if my wheels are turned or not, it vibrates the same regardless. I've tried replicating the vibration then immediately pushing the clutch all the way back in, and it still vibrates a little, but I can't tell if it's just the usual road noise or the clutch making the sound.

My first thought was a bad wheel bearing that may have messed up when I used my jack/jackstands, but I thought it would be more noticeable or louder at high speeds. Same thing with my clutch plate, since it vibrates letting it out, but it's not really a grinding or sharp sound, more of a low hum, and again, not noticeable at high speeds. I've had a throwout and clutch fail on my other cars, and it's nothing like that.

I've also seen that it may be an air filter issue. If I over-oiled it, it may be starved for air under load, but I don't feel it revving the engine in neutral above 3k rpms.

It seems weird that this popped up immediately following an oil change, something I've done 4 times before. All the other googling I've done pulls up a whole bunch of people with slightly different symptoms that never really match what I have, so I was hoping for some people familiar with the car to help me out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Check your engine mounts. The factory ones are fluid filled and might be leaking. Also on the passanger side check the three studs for the mount to make sure non are broken.
Thanks for the quick reply UST.

I'm at work now (ironically I work at Advance Auto Parts), so I can only check the top/passenger side. Removed the engine cover and coolant reservoir and everything looks good there. Now that you mention the lower motor mount, I do remember I was a bit rougher/jerkier with the jack coming down than I usually like to be. Don't remember hearing any weird noises, but it would make sense that I damage the mount somehow bringing it down.

How do I actually check the motor mount when I get it in the air? From the CJ Pony Parts video I saw installing a new Cobb one, apparently it's hard to see without disassembly. Do I just look for leaking fluid, or will there be play in the mount itself? I've never messed with fluid-filled mounts before.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, got it up on 4 jack stands to make it level. Checked the bearings first, neither had play and both spun freely. The only weirdness was the passenger side had a slightly louder "hiss" sound than the driver side. Don't think that's the issue though.

Checked out the mount and got the following pics:

EM_1.png
EM_2.png

It's at a weird downward angle, not sure if that's normal. It looks like the main bolt through the bushing isn't contacting it at a 90 degree angle. I couldn't do anything to move the engine from the bottom, but i did grab one of the mounting studs for the engine cover and rock it back and forth a little bit. It didn't take much effort, but again i'm not sure if this is normal motion again. It's not something i've done in the past. The first vid has a squeeking sound, and shows the effort i'm putting into the motion. The second vid shows the lateral movement a bit better, since i'm not physically holding the phone. Hopefully these videos upload properly:

It definitely seems like it gets worse with a longer driver. I have a 45 minute drive to work everyday and in the beginning it's not that bad, but towards the end of the drive it's very noticeable, even at the beginning of second and third gear. I don't believe it's the clutch anymore, as letting out the clutch quickly in first and second still makes the vibration and growling occur. However, extremely slow acceleration doesn't seem to help the situation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another update. It's miserable on an incline. I took a different route to work to avoid stop/go traffic, and had to stop going uphill (hood higher than trunk). It shuddered really bad coming out of first and through the end of second.

This seems to point to the mount, right? The extra force pulling the engine towards the bad mount means it's probably rubbing on the cross member or bad bushings?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last update. CLUTCH FAILURE. It's at the dealership now. Stranded me on the side of the road, but the Ford dealership said towing was covered, and the clutch/transmission is "most likely" covered, so we'll see if that's going to be a fight.

So, for anyone having the same symptoms.... Yeah, stop driving it. Get to the dealership before things go too south.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts