Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 2017 ST2 FoST. In the last week I've noticed a horrid vibration that feels and sounds like it's right under my butt and in the rear of the vehicle. I have no vibration in the steering wheel itself. At this point I'm stumped at what it would be and of course I can't reproduce it for my mechanic friend or the dealership. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Recently purchased a 2017 ST2 FoST. In the last week I've noticed a horrid vibration that feels and sounds like it's right under my butt and in the rear of the vehicle. I have no vibration in the steering wheel itself. At this point I'm stumped at what it would be and of course I can't reproduce it for my mechanic friend or the dealership. Any help would be appreciated.

Usually such a high speed vibration is caused by a balance issue. General rule of thumb, is if you feel it in the wheel it is the front, and if you feel it in the seat then it is the rear of the car. Go have the balance checked on the rears, that's what it sounds like.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually such a high speed vibration is caused by a balance issue. General rule of thumb, is if you feel it in the wheel it is the front, and if you feel it in the seat then it is the rear of the car. Go have the balance checked on the rears, that's what it sounds like.
Thank you. Just ridiculous when I don't even have 2200 miles on the thing.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

It's possible you have a flat spot in the tire from sitting or an "out of round" tire.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's possible you have a flat spot in the tire from sitting or an "out of round" tire.
Thanks. Would that still cause it when the vibration is intermittent. Sometimes it's the whole time I'm on the highway, sometimes it never happens at all.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Thanks. Would that still cause it when the vibration is intermittent. Sometimes it's the whole time I'm on the highway, sometimes it never happens at all.

A bad tire or balance issue will always be a constant vibration. Check the lugs and bearings if it is intermittent. It still wouldn't hurt to have the rears checked out though.

Reactions: RunFocusRun

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If it is a balance issue it is not as ridiculous as you might think. Wheels throw weights off pretty frequently. Particularly common with more recently balanced wheels and tires. Get the balance checked. A decent tire tech will see flat spots if it is that, but my money is on you having lost some weight at some point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I set an appointment with my dealership to see what's wrong. What had me stumped is the intermittent vibration. I drove 300 miles the other day with maybe a vibration for 2 of it. Drove 100 miles today and vibration for most of it.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Thanks guys. I set an appointment with my dealership to see what's wrong. What had me stumped is the intermittent vibration. I drove 300 miles the other day with maybe a vibration for 2 of it. Drove 100 miles today and vibration for most of it.

Thinking about it some more, it may be a flat spot or something similar to that. Sometimes with tires that have a lot of nylon in them would tend to flat spot overnight and after driving and heating the tires up it would work it self out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thinking about it some more, it may be a flat spot or something similar to that. Sometimes with tires that have a lot of nylon in them would tend to flat spot overnight and after driving and heating the tires up it would work it self out.
Would the outside temp have something to do with that too? The other day when I had barely any it was 80 F out. And today when I had a lot it's around 52 F. I know heat affects tires a lot but would it have something to do with this vibration.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Would the outside temp have something to do with that too? The other day when I had barely any it was 80 F out. And today when I had a lot it's around 52 F. I know heat affects tires a lot but would it have something to do with this vibration.

It's quite possible yeah, it used to happen to the Pirelli P3000 model tire all the time. I would get complaints about vibrations and it turned out to the the extra ply of Nylon they put in that tire was causing the "flat-spotting" issue until they warmed up. The "summer" performance tires that come on the ST do not operate well in the lower temps at all. Anything below 45 degrees actually requires an actual winter tire at that point. Normal tires are designed to handle lower temps than that, they become very hard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's quite possible yeah, it used to happen to the Pirelli P3000 model tire all the time. I would get complaints about vibrations and it turned out to the the extra ply of Nylon they put in that tire was causing the "flat-spotting" issue until they warmed up. The "summer" performance tires that come on the ST do not operate well in the lower temps at all. Anything below 45 degrees actually requires an actual winter tire at that point. Normal tires are designed to handle lower temps than that, they become very hard.
Well thank you for the help. Hopefully the dealership can have some idea on what's going on. It's getting to the point of can't stand driving it when it's vibrating.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It could also be rippling in the asphalt. You'll feel that when you're riding on performance suspension and low profile tires. Pay attention to if it happens on the same area of road or not.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I have the exact same issue as op, just learned to live with it. Dealership couldn't replicate and told me to video it lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the exact same issue as op, just learned to live with it. Dealership couldn't replicate and told me to video it lol

That's my worry with my dealership. I can't stand it and I have an infant that doesn't quite like it either.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i actually had it this morning on my way in. I am beginning to wonder if the active grill shutters are failing. its a weird issue and very intermittent. noticing it at times my oil temp is a little past half way, as soon as it goes to a normal state then the vibration seems to disapear

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i actually had it this morning on my way in. I am beginning to wonder if the active grill shutters are failing. its a weird issue and very intermittent. noticing it at times my oil temp is a little past half way, as soon as it goes to a normal state then the vibration seems to disapear
My car is brand new so hope the shutters aren't failing.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Mine is a 2016 and has 16k miles been doing it since around 4k miles. Dealership 2 times for issue could never recreate. Tried to video it and it won't record what's going on. I "think" I narrowed it down to that

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine is a 2016 and has 16k miles been doing it since around 4k miles. Dealership 2 times for issue could never recreate. Tried to video it and it won't record what's going on. I "think" I narrowed it down to that

I tried to record it and it didn't come through. I feel it more than anything.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts