Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been awhile since I have been on here. Happily the car has behaved itself after the initial issues I had over the first year. The car is now at 70K miles and has been fine.

With that said I have a new issue which is pretty weird and looking for some input before I bring it into the inept dealer. I did a google search but did not come up with anything for the Focus.

-Last weekend I get a text from my Neighbor that the Alarm is going off in my ST. I was skiing so told him how to get into the house and where the keys were stashed. He cranked the car and said it cranked slowly but started. He shut the car down and locked it but the alarm started sounding a couple hours later. I told him to try unlocking the car and leave it unlocked. That solved the issue for the time being.

-I get in the car Tuesday morning and the battery is dead as a door nail. I charge the battery and it fires up fine. I drive the wee man to school and get home and go to shut down the motor and after hitting the button everything shuts down but the motor is still running. I ended up stalling the motor with the clutch.

-Wednesday- I get in the car and it fires right up but I have a CEL, I go to shut down the motor and it shuts down. Later in the day I have to run out and after a minute or two the CEL goes away but I am back to the motor not shutting down.

Yesterday- I put about 150 miles on the car and everything is normal with the exception of the motor not shutting down. I also find out that the electric power steering is still activated with the motor off and the steering wheel lock does not engage. Last night I actually locked the car and about an hour after that the alarm starts going off. I used the key fob and unlocking the car killed the alarm.

A couple things I want to do today is pull the cable off the battery to see if it will "re-set" something. I also have not checked for any codes but guessing that the CEL is gone there will not be any.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’m second guessing my recent purchase(2017 st). So many problems... engines blow, transmissions, electrical, doors not opening .... Maybe it’s best to just get rid of it at 36000/3 years
I hope you can fix it cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I’m second guessing my recent purchase(2017 st). So many problems... engines blow, transmissions, electrical, doors not opening .... Maybe it’s best to just get rid of it at 36000/3 years
I hope you can fix it cheap

There are not a lot of problems. At all. Don't let this forum scare you.

98% of us wake up every day and our car runs perfectly fine minus maybe small issues...so we don't get on the forum and go "my car is running perfectly today!"

But if something DOES unfortunately happen, people jump on here immediately and make a post. So there seems like a bunch of posts making the car out to be problematic...it isn't. This forum contains less than 1% of the total amount of ST owners in the world, it's extremely small of a sliver of the guys and girls out there who own the car, and it's rated as highly reliable and hardly requires much in terms of maintenance more than a normal car. There are several guys who have 100k+ miles and haven't ever had a single issue...and some guy who hasn't posted in a while was at 240k and only had to replace an AC condenser. That's amazing.

Edit: And lately I've seen a few people claiming these cars pop engines all the time...not sure what is up with that garbage lol almost all of the posts in the official blown engine resource thread that Alex @ stratified made are due to the tune they were running. Run a crappy tune or run the Cobb tune (I hate the cobb OTS tunes) and your engine pops...you can't blame the car.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
@brian60 I don't want to derail the poor OPs thread too much more, but wanted to say that I agree with you. I'd add another reason for blown motors is LSPI. People not familiar with the inherent issues of all DI turboed engines and going WOT in 5th and 6th gears at low RPMs. There are a bunch of ringland failures in that thread which can be the result of a major LSPI event.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Been awhile since I have been on here. Happily the car has behaved itself after the initial issues I had over the first year. The car is now at 70K miles and has been fine.

With that said I have a new issue which is pretty weird and looking for some input before I bring it into the inept dealer. I did a google search but did not come up with anything for the Focus.

-Last weekend I get a text from my Neighbor that the Alarm is going off in my ST. I was skiing so told him how to get into the house and where the keys were stashed. He cranked the car and said it cranked slowly but started. He shut the car down and locked it but the alarm started sounding a couple hours later. I told him to try unlocking the car and leave it unlocked. That solved the issue for the time being.

-I get in the car Tuesday morning and the battery is dead as a door nail. I charge the battery and it fires up fine. I drive the wee man to school and get home and go to shut down the motor and after hitting the button everything shuts down but the motor is still running. I ended up stalling the motor with the clutch.

-Wednesday- I get in the car and it fires right up but I have a CEL, I go to shut down the motor and it shuts down. Later in the day I have to run out and after a minute or two the CEL goes away but I am back to the motor not shutting down.

Yesterday- I put about 150 miles on the car and everything is normal with the exception of the motor not shutting down. I also find out that the electric power steering is still activated with the motor off and the steering wheel lock does not engage. Last night I actually locked the car and about an hour after that the alarm starts going off. I used the key fob and unlocking the car killed the alarm.

A couple things I want to do today is pull the cable off the battery to see if it will "re-set" something. I also have not checked for any codes but guessing that the CEL is gone there will not be any.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Jim
Several members have reported that their cars electrical systems get a bit wonky when the battery has needed to be replaced; seems these cars do not like low voltage.

Reactions: BCE22

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Several members have reported that their cars electrical systems get a bit wonky when the battery has needed to be replaced; seems these cars do not like low voltage.
Indeed. :whs:

Anything from the wipers randomly going haywire to the windows acting up and the lights misbehaving. Battery reset + a full charge up could be something to try. Plus, of course, getting your battery checked. Autozone does it free :cool:

Reactions: BCE22

·
Registered
825 Posts
Should just get a new battery. The system has to be 'set' for a new battery.
The rest of it os low battery ghosts.

·
Registered
651 Posts
This is what I was going to post. Replace your battery (or at least have it tested). Bad battery's (that seem to be fine) are causing SUPER weird issues that don't make sense and this just sounds like another case of that. Cheap fix if this is it, considering all else.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Jim
Can you try diagnosing/resetting your ecu? Could it be something glitchy there?

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
i'm going to blame a low voltage low CCA battery that needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have (waiting on parts) a harness that's chaffed through causing the engine to not shut off with the power button. I have to hold it for 3 seconds sometime. next time it happens try holding your power button and see if that turns it off.
I also have to add a big ol plus 1 on the dead battery. sounds a lot like some of the other threads here relating to dead or dying batteries.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I drive Ford Escapes at work and they too like to go bananas when the batteries get weak. Goofy stuff like them going in to transport mode, etc.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Figured I would give an update. On Sunday night we got home from VT and went to move the ST and the battery was dead as a door nail again. I threw the charger on it over night and she started right up the next morning. I brought the car to Autozone and had the battery checked and it was at the VERY low end of marginal so I figured I would put a battery in. I have started and stopped the car at least a dozen times since then and everything was working as it should until I went out to lunch today.....yup, no shut down and the power steering is still activated.

I just made an appointment with the local inept Ford dealer to have it checked out. The service guy asks what is up and I tell him. He then asks if the car is still running and I say no. He says "I thought you said it would not shut down" , I say that it does not but the car is a manual....he then says "what does that have to do with it".

You just can't fix stupid can you......

Cheers,
Jim

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I just made an appointment with the local inept Ford dealer to have it checked out. The service guy asks what is up and I tell him. He then asks if the car is still running and I say no. He says "I thought you said it would not shut down" , I say that it does not but the car is a manual....he then says "what does that have to do with it".

You just can't fix stupid can you......

Cheers,
Jim
I just wanna pick out this last bit here and say, wow. I love some of the people Ford hires as technicians at some of these places.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just wanna pick out this last bit here and say, wow. I love some of the people Ford hires as technicians at some of these places.
There are a few different ways to stop an engine without using the ignition/power switch. I'm surprised the tech didn't just ask "how did you stop the motor?" instead of showing his idiot colors.

Back OT, I was expecting the battery to be the issue as well. I had some crazy stuff happen with my radio/touchscreen and windows when my battery started giving up, but everything resolved with a new one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There are not a lot of problems. At all. Don't let this forum scare you.

98% of us wake up every day and our car runs perfectly fine minus maybe small issues...so we don't get on the forum and go "my car is running perfectly today!"

But if something DOES unfortunately happen, people jump on here immediately and make a post. So there seems like a bunch of posts making the car out to be problematic...it isn't. This forum contains less than 1% of the total amount of ST owners in the world, it's extremely small of a sliver of the guys and girls out there who own the car, and it's rated as highly reliable and hardly requires much in terms of maintenance more than a normal car. There are several guys who have 100k+ miles and haven't ever had a single issue...and some guy who hasn't posted in a while was at 240k and only had to replace an AC condenser. That's amazing.

Edit: And lately I've seen a few people claiming these cars pop engines all the time...not sure what is up with that garbage lol almost all of the posts in the official blown engine resource thread that Alex @ stratified made are due to the tune they were running. Run a crappy tune or run the Cobb tune (I hate the cobb OTS tunes) and your engine pops...you can't blame the car.
That’s good info, thanks.
Now, since you mentioned crappy tunes... I plan to install a fmic and already have cai+intake tube. I was thinking to change my stage1 ots Cobb tune after install. What do you think about stratified flash tune with a datalog re-tune afterwards?
Also , how bad do you think it is for the engine, a 6 months run on Cobb Ots stage1?

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Now, since you mentioned crappy tunes... I plan to install a fmic and already have cai+intake tube. I was thinking to change my stage1 ots Cobb tune after install. What do you think about stratified flash tune with a datalog re-tune afterwards?
Also , how bad do you think it is for the engine, a 6 months run on Cobb Ots stage1?
I think you will be fine having had the Cobb OTS stage 1 for 6 months. I ran their stage 1 tune for a little while and ran the car fairly hard, then got my tune from Stratified. The difference between the tune from Stratified and the Cobb OTS tune is night and day. The engine feels healthier and happier even when pushed, it seems happy which is what you want out of a performance vehicle. There are some great tuners out there that make these engines sing safely and I don't think you can go wrong with Stratified and going with a refinement is a great idea, you get one included if you select another file for running E30 just FYI.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I think you will be fine having had the Cobb OTS stage 1 for 6 months. I ran their stage 1 tune for a little while and ran the car fairly hard, then got my tune from Stratified. The difference between the tune from Stratified and the Cobb OTS tune is night and day. The engine feels healthier and happier even when pushed, it seems happy which is what you want out of a performance vehicle. There are some great tuners out there that make these engines sing safely and I don't think you can go wrong with Stratified and going with a refinement is a great idea, you get one included if you select another file for running E30 just FYI.
It's convenient that someone who ran the Cobb OTS tune then switched to a proper tuner commented before I did. It really is substantially better going with a tuner over using the built in tunes on the Accessport. As someone who is against using the Cobb OTS tunes hard (I mean..they are built for a car totally outfitted in Cobb parts...so any differences in parts it only has so much cushion of safety. I also have Stratified like Algae Killer and agree with his thoughts on them. Excellent guys who arguably are one of the best resources around for info on their blog posts and articles about this platform/engine. That said, their customer service speeds have dropped since I went with them 2 years ago...so expect delays at first in their initial response, your mod form, and your tune file. As long as you're patient though you'll be very happy.

Technically any of the popular tuners will make you happy really...the differences are slight. They all make roughly the same power they just feel different with adjusted throttle responses, different power/torque curves, etc. Can't go wrong with any of them..just do your research on them all and make the call.

My tuner option thread may be useful for you, despite being slightly out of date probably by now https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus...ur-car-what-your-options-look-no-further.html

It outlines the tuners and their options

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
It's convenient that someone who ran the Cobb OTS tune then switched to a proper tuner commented before I did. It really is substantially better going with a tuner over using the built in tunes on the Accessport. As someone who is against using the Cobb OTS tunes hard (I mean..they are built for a car totally outfitted in Cobb parts...so any differences in parts it only has so much cushion of safety. I also have Stratified like Algae Killer and agree with his thoughts on them. Excellent guys who arguably are one of the best resources around for info on their blog posts and articles about this platform/engine. That said, their customer service speeds have dropped since I went with them 2 years ago...so expect delays at first in their initial response, your mod form, and your tune file. As long as you're patient though you'll be very happy.

Technically any of the popular tuners will make you happy really...the differences are slight. They all make roughly the same power they just feel different with adjusted throttle responses, different power/torque curves, etc. Can't go wrong with any of them..just do your research on them all and make the call.

My tuner option thread may be useful for you, despite being slightly out of date probably by now https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus...ur-car-what-your-options-look-no-further.html

It outlines the tuners and their options
Ran COBB OTS stage 3 for about 70,000 miles on my car... I recently got tuned with Tune+Plus. While yes the car is more powerful and stronger on the Tune+Plus I also don't think the COBB OTS stage 3 was bad, didn't make as much power but that isn't a bad thing. If so then my car shouldn't have 83k on the original motor.

Not sure why I waited so long to get pro tuned but I did and well oh well. I recommend people get pro tuned from the start now, just because no reason to wait, not that I have anything against the COBB tune.

I think that driving habits are the reason these motors give the ghost. Maybe a few really bad tunes, but the COBB tune isn't a bad tune so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts