Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Today in light rain, in 1 degree C weather, my 2015 Focus ST3 with 20000km made horrible noise driving home. I did not notice the noise until half way home when I stopped at a drive thru.

Sounds like a combination of brake squeeling or suspension pieces grinding. For a second I even thought my exhaust was getting dragged along the ground. Something is clearly rubbing something the wrong way, it is likely impossible to tell without getting a mechanic involved.

So obviously I stopped driving and gave my car a good walk around. Nothing was obvious. Fealt the brakes for extreme heat, fealt around suspension for clearance, checked underneath the car. Everything seemed fine so I drove the rest of the way home with the noice, very carefully and very concerned.

I know it is a long shot but I posted a video I recorded, you can hear it in the background as I am driving home. This is a pretty good example of what it sounded like the whole way home, the squeeling seemed to come and go depending on my speed. But the rubbing sound was persistently there.

I am going to bring to a dealer ASAP, but meanwhile I am wondering if I should feel comfortable driving to work tomorrow morning. I tested both braking, handling and acceleration nothing seemed to be directly related to the noise. Car went up to 100km/hour on way home without problems, though the noise persisted. My biggest concern is that whatever the problem driving my car is either dangerous (in my opinion it does not feel like it) or going to cause damage not covered under warranty (body damage or transmission?).

Does anyone have experience when it comes to holding ford responsible for any resulting damages to the vehicle (assuming I have a warrantable problem) ?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
To me that sounds like some snow or ice stuck to the car and it rubbing on the wheel or something like that while driving. Also of note, I was told to never use my e brake in freezing temps, did you have yours on? Although if you did that noise should go away after a little bit.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the replies, I know its a tough one to comment on. So I borrowed a vehicle to get to work today which is my first major let down from this car but that was eventual and it may not even be ford or the cars fault.

My dads advice was to lift the car and spin the wheels to find which one makes the noise. Did that tonight and found my front driver must be the problem.

Took the wheel off to check things out. Brakes seemed to be clean with nothing stuck. Rotor does not look too scratched up? Did not want to take things apart further, to a dealership it goes. But I think I am going to drive it to work tomorrow, whatever it is it can not be massive right?

unnamed.jpg

As if this needs posting, here is the passenger wheel turning without noise

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Pull the wheels, push the backing plates away from the rotors, and verify nothing is stuck (like a stone) between the rotor and backing plates or pads.
I tried pulling the backing wheel back, and giving it several good smacks. It did not seem to budge much or make any difference. Based on the type of metal the noise sounds like it is rubbing against I bet this is somehow the culprit though. I saw threads before removing this piece I think, but seemed like a challenge without removing the brakes so did not proceed.

Bad wheel bearing makes odd noises and they have been known to fail early every so often.
Appreciate it, found this as an example

I could see this being related based on the fact the noise persists as I speed up. Will post back what it turns out to be.

To me that sounds like some snow or ice stuck to the car and it rubbing on the wheel or something like that while driving. Also of note, I was told to never use my e brake in freezing temps, did you have yours on? Although if you did that noise should go away after a little bit.
My first thoughts too. Last night I parked the car in the garage. But problem persisted in the morning. Seemed like the most logical considering only change this car experience since last time driving it was sitting outside in moist cold (but not really super cold either).

Yes I did have my emergency brake on. I should know better, I had a 1995 Saab where the emergency brake cable froze solid. This can be a real problem. But my thoughts were this car was old and you could tell the brake cable was subject to the elements. I assumed newer cars solved this problem.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I don't know if the e-brake is a problem on the focus, but on the f-150 I was told never use it in the winter by my dealer because I was getting some squeaks. After reading more I don't think you are having an issue with that, hopefully your dealer figures it out!

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Drove the car to work today, despite the noise. Knowing it was clearly only a wheel as it turned I was less concerned.

The dealer found it and corrected it pretty quickly this afternoon. The problem was a rock was jammed somewhere, inside the rotor or something, the service lady was not specific.
Job notes indicates caliper and rotor was removed. I saw the rock, it was a decent size pebble but not a large one either. Roughly this size:
https://thumb1.shutterstock.com/dis...avel-with-shadows-and-footprints-31489435.jpg

Hopefully just a very rare occurrence. Damn experience was both inconvenient & not warrantied. Fortunately the dealer was fair only charging .5 hour, so $62 bucks labour. So far I like this dealer.

Unfortunately I can not even fathom an argument how Ford should be responsible for this rock so I paid up without complaining.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Happy to hear it was fixed and wasn't a care reliability issue.

Reactions: Straightline

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Pull the wheels, push the backing plates away from the rotors, and verify nothing is stuck (like a stone) between the rotor and backing plates or pads.
Drove the car to work today, despite the noise. Knowing it was clearly only a wheel as it turned I was less concerned.

The dealer found it and corrected it pretty quickly this afternoon. The problem was a rock was jammed somewhere, inside the rotor or something, the service lady was not specific.
Job notes indicates caliper and rotor was removed. I saw the rock, it was a decent size pebble but not a large one either. Roughly this size:
https://thumb1.shutterstock.com/dis...avel-with-shadows-and-footprints-31489435.jpg

Hopefully just a very rare occurrence. Damn experience was both inconvenient & not warrantied. Fortunately the dealer was fair only charging .5 hour, so $62 bucks labour. So far I like this dealer.

Unfortunately I can not even fathom an argument how Ford should be responsible for this rock so I paid up without complaining.
#NailedIt haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts