Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vendor
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second biggermouth as the first time I used the bigger mouth was on my 2015 focus st, but this time around I've been collecting data over a period of time across different temperatures and while my data may be slightly off because I just switched turbos recently. With the velossatech ram air I see more consistent air mass under high boost. It looks like it makes a good difference in air induction and helps increase air density at moderate to high speeds. I'm also seeing a 100-200 rpm in spool increase with the biggermouth on the street as compared to with out it.

Turbo: gtx3071r gen 2 ewg
Fuel: E50

She put down a healthy 480 whp/442wtq on the dyno spooling 25 psi by 4400 rpm at 28 psi in 80 degree weather, however on the street she's spooling 27 psi by 3900 rpm in 70 degree weather. While there are tons of variables that go into such as temps/load/etc, the ram air is definitely helping with spool and because boost comes on much sooner on the street the tq is much higher than the dyno is showing.

Overall I'm very happy with the biggermouth.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Holy crap!!! 480 whp & 442 wtq!? How is the ST as a DD with that kind of power? I’ll it’s a handful to keep in a straight line.

·
Vendor
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah but they are silly money for a piece of plastic....Another company needs to make one and it should be around $50-$70
The pieces are printed separately and they are hand assembled. The price seems fair for the work put into it + factor in the free shipping that costs usually $12->$15. They are also painted to custom request. It's possible they could offer an only black version cheaper and produce it in mass to lower costs, but you'd have to get with @VelossaTech for that.

·
Vendor
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holy crap!!! 480 whp & 442 wtq!? How is the ST as a DD with that kind of power? I’ll it’s a handful to keep in a straight line.
480/442 on the dynojet w/o load control. The car makes 27 psi by 4500 on the dyno, but makes 27 psi by 3900 on the street (both 4th gear). I had to make a lot of aux fuel adjustments after using the dyno because of this. I feel like I need to find a mustang dyno for tuning it more precisely or inquire if my dynojet that I use has the load control feature as tuning aux fuel with out a loaded dyno can get you on the street when you add x ms fuel at xxxx rpm, but the turbo spools 700 rpm sooner on the street lol. Anways the car makes more tq and more hp than what the dyno is showing cause it's loaded more. tq is at least 460 probably and hp is anywhere between 490->500 at wheels.

·
Vendor
1,896 Posts
Yeah but they are silly money for a piece of plastic....Another company needs to make one and it should be around $50-$70
The only other companies that offer a snorkel are Ford Racing and Steeda, both priced about 15 dollars cheaper then the VT BIG mouth (around 140-150 bucks).

They are only in offered black, they are not flow optimized (the BIG MOUTH was designed using ANSYS engineering CFD analyses and flow tested at different speeds in the simulations for an optimal ratio of flow areas (inlet and outlet) and reduced pressure drop). They are also available in a combination of 28 different colors for the body and flare. A lot goes into aftermarket parts because I know that car enthusiasts prefer quality over quantity.

You can probably find a company that could make them for 50 dollars, they would soon go out of business because of quality issues trying to make a part at such a low cost, or they just wouldnt sell that many because people want quality. The same goes with welding, machining, casting and body work. Have you ever bought a welded downpipe only to find the welds cracked 6 months later? Are you going to argue with the welder on what his internal costs are when you get a high quality piece?

It's not one of those things you want to cheap out on, especially for a part that has to be so finely tuned for any performance gain at all, such as a ram air system. Most people realize this by now. The price of the big mouth has been the same for 2 years, yet the quality has been improved tenfold. The Gen 1 big mouth vs the Gen 3 big mouth quality is so far away that it's hard for me to even wrap my head around how quickly we pushed our quality and performance standards.

EDIT: We just hosted a group buy for 25% off for forum members only, brought the price down to $125. Keep your eyes peeled for more sales incoming when holidays come near.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
love my VT Big Mouth Snorkel. Got it used for <$100. I too feel like it helps with spool time/consistent air mass. 3 thumbs up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have read that the Big mouth intakes have had fitment issues. Is this true? I ordered one already but now worried that I may have to cut it to make it fit like I have read that others have had to do.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've never read about any fitment issues, mine installed without a single issue. You do have to trim the radiator shroud but that is because you have to make a pass through for the snorkel body.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts