Velossa Tech "BIG MOUTH" Intake Snorkel

46K views 134 replies 49 participants last post by  CoreyDSFA 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Looks better than Steeda!

#4 ·
El price-o senior? :crazy:

#11 ·
Was really hoping to see something in the $80 ball park. Bummer.

#5 ·
It's looking good and BIG!:haha:

#15 ·
Nice! Is this the surprise you hinted about in the interest check thread? I assume the non-wide version will be cheaper?

#20 ·
I will let the dog out.

The surprise is an experimental design called "METH MOUTH"

If you can guess what THAT snorkel does. Then you got the right idea.

Both designs will have the same exact geometry. There will be no difference in scoop design, that would be totally lame, if we sold an undersized scoop for less money that underperforms compared to the regular scoop. They all have the same BIG MOUTH, except the other design has a drug addiction.

#17 ·
Pretty much, it does help with excessive IAT from sitting at idle such as red lights. Also should help in cooling the airbox faster. I really should have written down some before and after data in regards to the RS snorkel I have. I noticed my IAT dropped faster from light to light, and IAT was closer to ambient read off accessport. Not a huge difference, but it all helps. So it's a slight help, and an eye catcher.

I still want...

#19 ·
Hey @VelossaTech that's going to look great in green on a black car, that may or may not have your emblems and center caps already on it. [emoji106]just a small hint. That I'm ready to give you some more doll hairs.

Oh BTW that garuntee on the center caps, I'm not so sure on. But ever since I got the emblems my wife keeps saying nice ass ;)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

#21 ·
So you're saying you're planning on injecting water/meth into the airbox?

#24 ·
Soooo if I put the big mouth behind the ST catfish mouth, then its a mouth inside of a mouth? Sounds like an ALIEEEEEEEEEEN! That I want ;)

#29 ·
Well the rain shouldn't be a huge problem, bugs could accumulate. I get random dead vegetation on my filter with my current snorkel. Just check it at oil change intervals. Blow it out gently with some compressed air. It's not a biggie.

#37 ·
We provide coalescing and particle filters to industry. A coalescing filter (removes aerosols like water droplets, oil mist, etc.) is way different than a particulate filter. This would in all likelihood, require any of us running K&N's etc., to switch to a special filter that can guarantee removal of the aerosols. If not, IMHO, you're asking for big trouble.

Reactions: SketchedOut
#40 ·
Thank you for the info. I am sure there are differences between these types of filters. Are you saying that droplets will make it passed a K&N style filter?

I think even if some liquid makes it passed the filter, at least, the torturous path for the droplet moving through the filter would have allowed it more time to evaporate vs. just being injected directly into the compressor. This is my thought, I am not a filter expert so I will leave that to you. Again this is all experimental, and this is where we can come together to figure it out.

#49 ·
Looks really amazing. Of course green WOULD look way better :wink:

I take it this is no drill using some kind of factory bolting point?

#50 · (Edited)
#52 ·
Nice looking snorkel.
Please do not inject water / methanol / any liquid upstream of the filter!
Wetted filter media has a much higher differential pressure than dry media, due to surface tension.
Oiled cotton doesn't necessarily count as wet, the oil is absorbed into the fibers and is only on the fiber surface, the total oil quantity is very low (unless you over-oil like an idiot).
There wouldn't be enough heat in the air to support evaporation of much water / methanol anyway at that point. Post-turbo is the only sensible way to go.
The only time adding fuel before a compressor makes sense is in positive displacement / screw supercharger applications, in those cases the fuel helps the rotors seal and increases compressor efficiency. It makes no sense in a turbo/centrifugal application, and draw through turbo/carb systems were a compromise that happened to work, not the best solution.
I'd also prefer to keep anything combustible as far into the intake tract as possible from a safety standpoint.

#55 ·
Is this going to be able to mount to the crash beam without all the shrouds? My front end is gutted.
View attachment 98878
Yes it will work without the shrouds.

Nice looking snorkel.
Please do not inject water / methanol / any liquid upstream of the filter!
Wetted filter media has a much higher differential pressure than dry media, due to surface tension.
Oiled cotton doesn't necessarily count as wet, the oil is absorbed into the fibers and is only on the fiber surface, the total oil quantity is very low (unless you over-oil like an idiot).
There wouldn't be enough heat in the air to support evaporation of much water / methanol anyway at that point. Post-turbo is the only sensible way to go.
The only time adding fuel before a compressor makes sense is in positive displacement / screw supercharger applications, in those cases the fuel helps the rotors seal and increases compressor efficiency. It makes no sense in a turbo/centrifugal application, and draw through turbo/carb systems were a compromise that happened to work, not the best solution.
I'd also prefer to keep anything combustible as far into the intake tract as possible from a safety standpoint.
Thank you smallblock, I think you are right. It might be more of a headache right now then it's worth. I think we are going to sell the BIG MOUTH snorkels first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.