Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've worked on plenty of cars but for some reason this valve cover isn't my friend. The reason to remove the vavle cover is because the VVT seals are starting to leak, very little but I like to stay on top of things.

I removed all the bolts, Disconnected all the wiring. Almost got it removed but then I found out there was a bolt on the back right side. Or what appears to be a stud. I thought it was loose because there was no nut on it and I didn't see the black metal over it. While I pulled on the cover, I believe I might cracked that corner of the valve cover. Which is always great news. Anyways, I can't seem to figure out how to get this bracket off. There is one bolt from what I can tell and it's on the back side of the engine. Tried every socket and wrench I have but either it's not enough leverage or it's too big to get in there. Am I missing something simple? Do I need to remove that bracket? Seems like there isn't any topics on this so hopefully someone can help.

Really don't want to pull the engine for this. I've done this on the standard Focus and that was easy. This so far has not been. The previous owner I believe had it replaced as well because I don't believe Ford uses RVT silicone sealant on the gasket.

·
Super Moderator
8,415 Posts
So I've worked on plenty of cars but for some reason this valve cover isn't my friend. The reason to remove the vavle cover is because the VVT seals are starting to leak, very little but I like to stay on top of things.

I removed all the bolts, Disconnected all the wiring. Almost got it removed but then I found out there was a bolt on the back right side. Or what appears to be a stud. I thought it was loose because there was no nut on it and I didn't see the black metal over it. While I pulled on the cover, I believe I might cracked that corner of the valve cover. Which is always great news. Anyways, I can't seem to figure out how to get this bracket off. There is one bolt from what I can tell and it's on the back side of the engine. Tried every socket and wrench I have but either it's not enough leverage or it's too big to get in there. Am I missing something simple? Do I need to remove that bracket? Seems like there isn't any topics on this so hopefully someone can help.

Really don't want to pull the engine for this. I've done this on the standard Focus and that was easy. This so far has not been. The previous owner I believe had it replaced as well because I don't believe Ford uses RVT silicone sealant on the gasket.

I dont remember there being anything tricky about the VC, but you do have to pull the studs for the engine cover, or at least one of them iirc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the bracket I'm talking about. Its on the back right side of the engine. From the manual looks like it has to be removed. What's interesting is it shows a nut on the stud but I'm very confident there wasn't one on there when I was removing everything. Which leads me back to someone replaced this already.

Anyways, If anyone has a solution to get that number 2 bolt out, that would be greatly appreciated. I attempted to go from below the engine but don't think that will work. All other attempts were from above and was unable to get it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,415 Posts
Thank you @Duece McCracken. I attached the same image you posted but marked the stud that is causing issues.

View attachment 379621
Service manual has you pulling the HPFP before the VC, probably buys you more clearance on that bolt/stud.

The one on the back of the block, youll want to pull the battery and battery tray. that will buy you the room you need to try and get that one

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Duece McCracken Hoping I can pull it off without removing the HPFP.

Duh moment happened after you mentioned pulling the battery. I gave it one more try tonight with a breaker bar and I was able to get it loose, of course dropped the breaker bar after so I had to jack the car up to get it out but I'm happy I was able to get it loose. Debating on removing the battery compartment or not at this point.

·
Super Moderator
8,415 Posts
@Duece McCracken Hoping I can pull it off without removing the HPFP.

Duh moment happened after you mentioned pulling the battery. I gave it one more try tonight with a breaker bar and I was able to get it loose, of course dropped the breaker bar after so I had to jack the car up to get it out but I'm happy I was able to get it loose. Debating on removing the battery compartment or not at this point.
Its super easy. And buys a ton of room. At this point you have most of the other parts already, lmao

Theres install videos for passenger side motor mounts most likely have the battery and tray removal. The front panel stays in the car, because its a fuse block. the rest comes out though.

You can clean the two frame grounds under the battery tray while its out, lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol might as well clean the frame grounds then.

Still planning on skipping the HPFP but we'll see. Hoping I can track down a valve cover tomorrow now. Looked at it with a scope and it definitely has a small crack in it.

Its super easy. And buys a ton of room. At this point you have most of the other parts already, lmao

Theres install videos for passenger side motor mounts most likely have the battery and tray removal. The front panel stays in the car, because its a fuse block. the rest comes out though.

You can clean the two frame grounds under the battery tray while its out, lol

·
Super Moderator
8,415 Posts
Lol might as well clean the frame grounds then.

Still planning on skipping the HPFP but we'll see. Hoping I can track down a valve cover tomorrow now. Looked at it with a scope and it definitely has a small crack in it.
Whats your general location?

Yeah, removing the hpfp isnt going to be fun. Did you pull the wipers and wiper cowl? Thatll get you room too

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Burbs of the twin cities.

I got it off without removing the battery or the HPFP. Was able to remove that bracket. Should be very interesting getting that bracket back on haha. I didn't pull the wipers or cowl, I apparently like to make things harder for myself.

Inspected the valve cover. Looks useable. Has a crack in back corner. But nothing that would affect sealing from what I can tell. Still gonna replace it as I started this with the purpose of stopping a small leak from the VVT solenoids. So maybe someone wants it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heres what it looks like, damage wise.

Word to anyone else looking to remove your valve cover, don't be me and wrench on it. That bracket can be removed with a 3/8 breaker bar and 1/2 socket wrench. Used a 13MM socket on both. Once the breaker gets it loose enough you can get at it with the 1/2 socket wrench. You'll make like 1 inch movements so it will take a while to remove. If you got skinny enough arms, you can do it without removing the battery, cowl, or HPFP. It will suck a little but at least you don't have to take everything apart. Come at it from the left of the HPFP and you can get at it from there.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts