Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know there are lots of threads on valve cleaning, how to keep them clean, that Ford doesn't have an approved cleaning method blah blah blah. My question is about Ford though, so they don't have an approved method for cleaning, what to they do to fix carbon build up, do they recognize it as an issue? Do they just replace the heads? I'm just curious cause I have a 2018 and got the extended 100k warranty and was wondering what they do when carbon build up starts to cause issues? I've been looking locally for a reputable shop in or around York PA that does it, and so far I have only found 1 shop about 2 hours away, I have read online BMW has a media blasting method for valve cleaning at their service shops and don't know if they have that at every shop or just certain ones, and if they do have it at one of their shops near me if they would do a Ford ST?

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
Ok so I know there are lots of threads on valve cleaning, how to keep them clean, that Ford doesn't have an approved cleaning method blah blah blah. My question is about Ford though, so they don't have an approved method for cleaning, what to they do to fix carbon build up, do they recognize it as an issue? Do they just replace the heads? I'm just curious cause I have a 2018 and got the extended 100k warranty and was wondering what they do when carbon build up starts to cause issues? I've been looking locally for a reputable shop in or around York PA that does it, and so far I have only found 1 shop about 2 hours away, I have read online BMW has a media blasting method for valve cleaning at their service shops and don't know if they have that at every shop or just certain ones, and if they do have it at one of their shops near me if they would do a Ford ST?
I would imagine a BMW shop would do it for you, just be ready to pay a small fortune. It is very easy to do it yourself.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already called BMW and they won't do it because they don't have the correct manifold adapters and a bull s*** line basically but yeah I know that was my first guess was to try that but the issue is doing it myself is I don't have the equipment as far as a walnut blaster and everything secondly is my fear is making sure you get the valves close enough and if you don't having that s*** go into your combustion chamber

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes I know I meth technically can clean valves but if they have carbon build up already they arent going to get that much of a carbon build up off your valves, now if you start with freshly clean valves I believe yes itll keep them from again achieving build up. Anyways meth kits I dunno why, but they scare me, I dunno why but the I fear itd be installed wrong or tuned wrong for it and something would happen to my car, not others, but mine, I just feel like thatd be my luck, but beyond that I have to worry about constantly filling up the reservoir. But yea get this, ford touts that they have no approved way of valve cleaning, so I called to ask my local dealership what they do for Focus STs that have carbon build up issues that are under warranty, do they just replace heads? Do they have a walnut blasting service, no, but we use Wynn's Fuel Induction cleaning service for valve cleaning, and I said what I just referred to that Ford says it has no approved method of cleaning valves and that wouldn't that void my warranty then, she said no? And then went on to tell me that Koons in Bmore Maryland where I bought my ST uses BGs service which Ford had originally used but then stopped becaused they said it caused excessive heat on the turbocharger and thats why Ford doesn't a have an approved method. SSSOOOO, I don't know then what to do exactly

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just did it, granted I have a buddy that works at Audi and we used their walnut blasting machine.. But holy ****.. look brand new. A good quality walnut blaster and a shop vac is really all you need.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
yes I know I meth technically can clean valves but if they have carbon build up already they arent going to get that much of a carbon build up off your valves, now if you start with freshly clean valves I believe yes itll keep them from again achieving build up. Anyways meth kits I dunno why, but they scare me, I dunno why but the I fear itd be installed wrong or tuned wrong for it and something would happen to my car, not others, but mine, I just feel like thatd be my luck, but beyond that I have to worry about constantly filling up the reservoir. But yea get this, ford touts that they have no approved way of valve cleaning, so I called to ask my local dealership what they do for Focus STs that have carbon build up issues that are under warranty, do they just replace heads? Do they have a walnut blasting service, no, but we use Wynn's Fuel Induction cleaning service for valve cleaning, and I said what I just referred to that Ford says it has no approved method of cleaning valves and that wouldn't that void my warranty then, she said no? And then went on to tell me that Koons in Bmore Maryland where I bought my ST uses BGs service which Ford had originally used but then stopped becaused they said it caused excessive heat on the turbocharger and thats why Ford doesn't a have an approved method. SSSOOOO, I don't know then what to do exactly
Meth is a long term fix... cleaning is never ending and cost as much as or less than meth. $260 for a meth kit, cleaning will more than likely cost more

Do not tune for meth, just run it! cleans and helps engine run smooth and cool and clean during high boost.

I run meth only when I want to, I don't run it on every drive, I can turn it on when I want it, when I don't it just sits. I mainly turn it on for fun back road driving or when I am doing a fun pull on the freeway, I have a switch right next to me to click it on and off.

METH WILL CLEAN OFF BURNT ON CARBON. my car is proof of that, I didn't clean and had 70k on my car. I checked valves, dirty as could be, installed meth drove for about 5k on meth... CLEAN, not brand new but that was only 5K. will check again at next oil change which will be over 10k on meth and I am assuming they should be cleaner.

If you want to go all out have them cleaned and then install meth and have nearly 0 carbon for the rest of cars life

Otherwise just get the head cleaned and spend tons of money every 40K.

I have heard of dealers replacing heads because of carbon build up issues. but what you going to do when you run out of warranty? and judging by your parts you dealers could easy say no we aren't covering your head replacement because of XYZ mod done to car.

I have used the CRC valve cleaning... which worked really well. but again it just comes back and you have to keep doing it, also a pain in the ass and lots of work to do it so you aren't just dumping carbon into the engine.

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
I already called BMW and they won't do it because they don't have the correct manifold adapters and a bull s*** line basically but yeah I know that was my first guess was to try that but the issue is doing it myself is I don't have the equipment as far as a walnut blaster and everything secondly is my fear is making sure you get the valves close enough and if you don't having that s*** go into your combustion chamber
You don't need a walnut blaster. Remove intake, pour some rubbing alcohol on the closed valves and let it soak for 20 or 30 minutes, scrub a bit with an old tooth brush and suck out the gunk with a shop vac.; repeat if needed. Rotate the engine until the dirty valves are closed and repeat. I've been doing it for several years now.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
You don't need a walnut blaster. Remove intake, pour some rubbing alcohol on the closed valves and let it soak for 20 or 30 minutes, scrub a bit with an old tooth brush and suck out the gunk with a shop vac.; repeat if needed. Rotate the engine until the dirty valves are closed and repeat. I've been doing it for several years now.
I highly recommend getting a valve cleaner if you are going to do this, mainly to make the work that much easier.

Pipe cleaners and CRC valve clean and a little elbow work and it is an easy job

·
Registered
354 Posts
I highly recommend getting a valve cleaner if you are going to do this, mainly to make the work that much easier.

Pipe cleaners and CRC valve clean and a little elbow work and it is an easy job
I somewhat disagree with this. It's the biggest PITA to clean the valves it's not even funny. I originally cleaned mine with "cleaner" method and it didn't come out well... and that is coming from someone who is very meticulous and has decent mechanical knowledge. I eventually pulled a misfire code and took the car into the stealership and was told they basically weren't going to do **** about it. I've battled with them and got fed up. Took my car home and went to buy the stuff for walnut blasting the same day.

Walnut blasting is not hard to do. Long as you are careful and know what you're doing it's by far the easiest method of getting the valves clean. Here is the guide I followed to perform my walnut blast both times I did it.

https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/119770-how-walnut-blasting-intake-valves.html

This guide served me well. Very easy to follow, made sense, even had pictures of the attachments I needed and part numbers for them at the hardware store. If you have an air compressor and garage, this is a no brainer. I then installed a JLT Performance Front Side Oil Separator to slow the process of valve buildup. The front (block) side is where most of the blow-by comes from and is the most beneficial of the two OCCs. The rear side, in many cases, is bone dry on most cars after several thousand miles of driving.

Now, as far as the warranty and longevity of the car goes - this has been discussed for ages, in too many threads to count. It's a dealer by dealer basis on who will allow people to modify and perform certain jobs on their own cars. I will say though, Ford will do NOTHING about the intake valve issue, nor will they honor a warranty claim if you **** up the engine while performing this service yourself. Return to stock, bring the car in, cross fingers, fight to the death. This is our only choice when deciding to take the engine apart or mod. It's common sense... really.

Here are some pictures of my recent job. I HIGHLY recommend using two bed sheets to keep walnut shell from getting everywhere when performing the work. Yes, those are gold pineapples... they were $10. So whatever.

Walnut 1.jpg

Walnut 2.jpg

Walnut 3.jpg

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I somewhat disagree with this. It's the biggest PITA to clean the valves it's not even funny. I originally cleaned mine with "cleaner" method and it didn't come out well... and that is coming from someone who is very meticulous and has decent mechanical knowledge. I eventually pulled a misfire code and took the car into the stealership and was told they basically weren't going to do **** about it. I've battled with them and got fed up. Took my car home and went to buy the stuff for walnut blasting the same day.

Walnut blasting is not hard to do. Long as you are careful and know what you're doing it's by far the easiest method of getting the valves clean. Here is the guide I followed to perform my walnut blast both times I did it.

https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/119770-how-walnut-blasting-intake-valves.html

This guide served me well. Very easy to follow, made sense, even had pictures of the attachments I needed and part numbers for them at the hardware store. If you have an air compressor and garage, this is a no brainer. I then installed a JLT Performance Front Side Oil Separator to slow the process of valve buildup. The front (block) side is where most of the blow-by comes from and is the most beneficial of the two OCCs. The rear side, in many cases, is bone dry on most cars after several thousand miles of driving.

Now, as far as the warranty and longevity of the car goes - this has been discussed for ages, in too many threads to count. It's a dealer by dealer basis on who will allow people to modify and perform certain jobs on their own cars. I will say though, Ford will do NOTHING about the intake valve issue, nor will they honor a warranty claim if you **** up the engine while performing this service yourself. Return to stock, bring the car in, cross fingers, fight to the death. This is our only choice when deciding to take the engine apart or mod. It's common sense... really.

Here are some pictures of my recent job. I HIGHLY recommend using two bed sheets to keep walnut shell from getting everywhere when performing the work. Yes, those are gold pineapples... they were $10. So whatever.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Meth is on my short list. Now that I have an OCC installed, hopefully things stay clean while I get a meth kit.
OCC does nothing if anything if barely ... i don't run a OCC, no proof it does jack

METH saves motors... troof

·
Registered
354 Posts
OCC does nothing if anything if barely ... i don't run a OCC, no proof it does jack

METH saves motors... troof
The Oil Separator I installed has already caught about an ounce of oily mixture that otherwise would have gone into the intake. Might not prevent the issues all together, but I can see that it's definitely working.

Which Meth kit are you running? Most of the ones I've seen are $500+

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
The Oil Separator I installed has already caught about an ounce of oily mixture that otherwise would have gone into the intake. Might not prevent the issues all together, but I can see that it's definitely working.

Which Meth kit are you running? Most of the ones I've seen are $500+
Proof, OCCs have little to no grounds. the cost is mainly insulting for a product that doesn't live up to that cost. OCC doesn't clean either, if it "helps prevent" that is ok I guess but doesn't help if you already have dirt on the valves. I don't really want to get into another OCC VS no OCC battle so I am fine with leaving it at this. You run one and you are happy and I haven't seen proof to spend the money.

While $260 for a Snow Performance Stage 1 kit is all you need to inject meth which has been proven to clean engine, and serve all the other purposes that are marketed on the outside of the box.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So where do you inject your meth at, arm or between toes?...
I mean on your car?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also I have Corksports sealed catch can that operates without the check valves that most do require, and I can vouch it catches a **** ton. Lol. But I am not claiming they do what other people say or not, I am just saying they catch **** that would end up somewhere else, thats it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts