Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased a JBR PCV OCC and Valve Cover OCC that I have not yet installed. I have been reading alot about catch cans lately and I wonder if its worth installing them at all. Is it better to simply get the valves cleaned on a routine basis rather than installing another aftermarket part? I found a local garage that does the BG valve cleaning service.

I don't mind installing the cans but is it better to just get the cleaning service? Is it better to do both or does installing the cans mean that I don't have to worry about cleaning the valves at all?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lou, not quiet understanding your response. Valve cleaning and installing catch cans would both be considered "prevention", Possibly different levels....but both prevention. Can you provide more explanation in your response? I want to learn and mean no disrespect,

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Ok, a valve cleaning is like a dental cleaning. It gets all the plaque off. A catch can is like never getting (or at least preventing) the plaque from getting there in the first place. The more you prevent, the less you need to clean the valves. They will need cleaned anyway, but you will have less cavities.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! I thank you for the response. I thought that is what you meant, but wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on this but I was told on this forum that an OCC will very minimally help valve build-up. I did some reading then and found this to be true. I even saw some people do experiments with it and look at valve build-up with and without an OCC with similar miles and build-up looked the same.

Now, I don't think an OCC will hurt at all so it still may be worth it, up to you. I'm still debating whether I want to install one as well. If you do a lot of hard driving it's probably worth it because with hard driving you'll have more blow-by.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on this but I was told on this forum that an OCC will very minimally help valve build-up. I did some reading then and found this to be true. I even saw some people do experiments with it and look at valve build-up with and without an OCC with similar miles and build-up looked the same.
I have a hard time believing that people saw no difference. I have just the pcv can on my car and I regularly drain a bunch of stuff out of it that would otherwise be sent down the intake tract. With the design of these DI engines, theoretically there should be nothing but air in the intake. Where's the oil coming from that's causing all this buildup if not from the crankcase breather? For the price of the can it seems like a no brainer to me. I'd be interested in reading some of those experiments you found. Do you have a link?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts

Now, I don't think an OCC will hurt at all so it still may be worth it, up to you. I'm still debating whether I want to install one as well. If you do a lot of hard driving it's probably worth it because with hard driving you'll have more blow-by.
I have a hard time believing that people saw no difference. I have just the pcv can on my car and I regularly drain a bunch of stuff out of it that would otherwise be sent down the intake tract. With the design of these DI engines, theoretically there should be nothing but air in the intake. Where's the oil coming from that's causing all this buildup if not from the crankcase breather? For the price of the can it seems like a no brainer to me. I'd be interested in reading some of those experiments you found. Do you have a link?
This is arguably the biggest argument that happens on this forum, other than WRX vs Focus ST (we are better :cool: ), and the outcome of the argument is ALWAYS the same. Neither side can show conclusive evidence. Some people have seen good results, and sure any bit of assistance towards prevention is better than none, but on the other side of the argument there are people with 100k+ miles who don't have one and have nicer valves than people who do have one. Biggest resulting factor of valves getting gunked is related to how you drive. You want to spend the money on an OCC? Go ahead. Like I said the more prevention the better. You don't want to? Fine. The engine was made without one and if you don't do anything commonly that leads to stuff getting gunked up then it'll probably be fine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Trying to find links again and I stand corrected, I really can't find any definitive proof. If you do some googling you'll see some experiments but a lot of it is conjecture or comparing 2 different cars which really doesn't prove a whole lot.

Most of the info out there on this is either on forums or from companies that make/sell OCCs, neither of which are too reliable.

I would love to do a legitimate experiment on this and see what the results are. It would take a lot of time but maybe it could put an end to this nonsense haha. I think I'll do it, but over about 50k miles (which is about 4 years of driving for me). First 25k with no OCC, then thoroughly clean valves then next 25k with an OCC. I'll keep oil type the same, times of year similar, fuel rating the same.

Hmmm, hopefully I remember to do this haha.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Trying to find links again and I stand corrected, I really can't find any definitive proof. If you do some googling you'll see some experiments but a lot of it is conjecture or comparing 2 different cars which really doesn't prove a whole lot.

Most of the info out there on this is either on forums or from companies that make/sell OCCs, neither of which are too reliable.

I would love to do a legitimate experiment on this and see what the results are. It would take a lot of time but maybe it could put an end to this nonsense haha. I think I'll do it, but over about 50k miles (which is about 4 years of driving for me). First 25k with no OCC, then thoroughly clean valves then next 25k with an OCC. I'll keep oil type the same, times of year similar, fuel rating the same.

Hmmm, hopefully I remember to do this haha.
Best of luck to you if you go this route. It would take a LOT of commitment to maintain this project. There are many users on this forum who are very strongly on one side or the other who will rather harshly defend their stance, but it's pointless for both sides. If you can afford an OCC and want one, it's your car. A lot of people use the phrase "well the junk I pull out of my car I wouldn't want in there anyway," but that junk is in every car and those cars do fine.

Personal preference, honestly. :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Like Brian said, this is another sensitive topic to most. After owning two of these cars and meticulously maintaining them, I would never put an OCC in my car. If you want valve protection that positively works, use aux fuel or water-meth. The root of the problem: Direct Injection. In a standard injection motor, the fuel injectors are in the intake valves. This means fuel is constantly cleaning valves (with fuel) naturally, however with a DI vehicle like ours, the injectors are placed in the actual combustion chamber, bypassing the intake manifold. Welcome to gunk city, and ultimately failure. It's good practice to either go aux/wmi OR get a direct injection service done at your local shop as this requires specialized tools that are a bit too pricey to just go out and buy. I pay $150 every 15k miles and my valves have almost nothing on them. Small price to pay to know FOR SURE my valves are nice and clean.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Best of luck to you if you go this route. It would take a LOT of commitment to maintain this project. There are many users on this forum who are very strongly on one side or the other who will rather harshly defend their stance, but it's pointless for both sides. If you can afford an OCC and want one, it's your car. A lot of people use the phrase "well the junk I pull out of my car I wouldn't want in there anyway," but that junk is in every car and those cars do fine.

Personal preference, honestly. :)
Yeah agreed. And people say "the manufacturers don't install one because it requires maintenance and know people won't do it" but I don't necessarily agree with this. There's other options than to have to manually drain the thing. Why not just drain it back into the crankcase? That's where it came from anyway. It would act as a condenser and just drain back into your oil (granted with some water and fuel in there too) but that's one of the reasons we change our oil anyway.

I can guarantee engine engineers have experimented with this and either found it ineffective or not cost effective (as in, doesn't make a difference over the designed life of an engine, 200k, so why increase cost for it). I'm not sure about the I4 ecoboost but I know for a fact the V6 ecoboost has an oil seperator/baffle system going into the LH head CCV. So there are already systems in place to reduce the oil into your intake. Another reason why it may not be done is because of emissions, having a non-OCC PCV allows more fuel to be burnt lessening emissions per gallon of gas. Maybe they do this for regulation purposes?

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is arguably the biggest argument that happens on this forum, other than WRX vs Focus ST (we are better :cool: ), and the outcome of the argument is ALWAYS the same. Neither side can show conclusive evidence. Some people have seen good results, and sure any bit of assistance towards prevention is better than none, but on the other side of the argument there are people with 100k+ miles who don't have one and have nicer valves than people who do have one. Biggest resulting factor of valves getting gunked is related to how you drive. You want to spend the money on an OCC? Go ahead. Like I said the more prevention the better. You don't want to? Fine. The engine was made without one and if you don't do anything commonly that leads to stuff getting gunked up then it'll probably be fine.
Ya I agree. I wasn't trying to be argumentative, I'd just really like to find as much info on the subject as I can. That's why I was asking for a link to whatever data he had found. But ya to each his own.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Ya I agree. I wasn't trying to be argumentative, I'd just really like to find as much info on the subject as I can. That's why I was asking for a link to whatever data he had found. But ya to each his own.
No worries, I didn't perceive it as argumentative. :) However, I like to hit this topic as quick as possible before it flowers into something large as it has in the past once someone who is very much on one side of the argument sees it and chimes in and causes a stir.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Like Brian said, this is another sensitive topic to most. After owning two of these cars and meticulously maintaining them, I would never put an OCC in my car. If you want valve protection that positively works, use aux fuel or water-meth. The root of the problem: Direct Injection. In a standard injection motor, the fuel injectors are in the intake valves. This means fuel is constantly cleaning valves (with fuel) naturally, however with a DI vehicle like ours, the injectors are placed in the actual combustion chamber, bypassing the intake manifold. Welcome to gunk city, and ultimately failure. It's good practice to either go aux/wmi OR get a direct injection service done at your local shop as this requires specialized tools that are a bit too pricey to just go out and buy. I pay $150 every 15k miles and my valves have almost nothing on them. Small price to pay to know FOR SURE my valves are nice and clean.
Are you having Ford do the valve cleaning service or just a local shop? What are they actually doing on a "direct injection service"? Just curious.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Are you having Ford do the valve cleaning service or just a local shop? What are they actually doing on a "direct injection service"? Just curious.
Ford doesn't have a maintenance plan for cleaning the valves yet. I go to a local shop that services most of the local communities ST's.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Ford doesn't have a maintenance plan for cleaning the valves yet. I go to a local shop that services most of the local communities ST's.
I need to find one of these shops. I don't have anything like this nearby me since I'm in the middle of nowhere...I'd like to get mine cleaned.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Yeah agreed. And people say "the manufacturers don't install one because it requires maintenance and know people won't do it" but I don't necessarily agree with this. There's other options than to have to manually drain the thing. Why not just drain it back into the crankcase? That's where it came from anyway. It would act as a condenser and just drain back into your oil (granted with some water and fuel in there too) but that's one of the reasons we change our oil anyway.

I can guarantee engine engineers have experimented with this and either found it ineffective or not cost effective (as in, doesn't make a difference over the designed life of an engine, 200k, so why increase cost for it). I'm not sure about the I4 ecoboost but I know for a fact the V6 ecoboost has an oil seperator/baffle system going into the LH head CCV. So there are already systems in place to reduce the oil into your intake. Another reason why it may not be done is because of emissions, having a non-OCC PCV allows more fuel to be burnt lessening emissions per gallon of gas. Maybe they do this for regulation purposes?
The I4 ecoboost does have a separator/baffling system; there is a cover on the block where the pcv hose attaches which houses screens or baffles or something. It's just not very efficient.

Reactions: ScottyT

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
Direct injection allows the valves to gunk up. Every manufacturer has this issue. Some actually suggest an "Italian tune up" every so often. Others like Ford day don't worry about it. Then when it because a problem they suggest replacing the head. If it's under warranty fine. However how many people will have to do that outside of warrenty. One method that I keep seeing over and over again for cleaning is walnut blasting. With out car this is a simple process. So if you keep a catch can is "snake oil" then so be it. I'm personally running two. With auto x and spirited driving in the hills I have seen a reduction in build up on my valves. I run a two can setup and went the first 15K miles without a single can.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Direct injection allows the valves to gunk up. Every manufacturer has this issue. Some actually suggest an "Italian tune up" every so often. Others like Ford day don't worry about it. Then when it because a problem they suggest replacing the head. If it's under warranty fine. However how many people will have to do that outside of warrenty. One method that I keep seeing over and over again for cleaning is walnut blasting. With out car this is a simple process. So if you keep a catch can is "snake oil" then so be it. I'm personally running two. With auto x and spirited driving in the hills I have seen a reduction in build up on my valves. I run a two can setup and went the first 15K miles without a single can.

Sent from another galaxy.
I'm kinda interested to see how my new ST makes out with just the pcv can. I didn't have anything on my last ST which had some build up after almost 60k. When I got this new car I didn't want to have that happen so I installed the can with just 17 miles on the car. I'm just over 5k now and I think I'll take a good look at 10k to se if anything built up. That'll tell me yes or no if the can did what it was supposed to.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts