Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the value of the ST and RS is going to go up, down, or not change since they are no longer going to make them in NA?

I feel the value is going to drop on the ST while on the RS it is going to go up as they made much less and they are more desired.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
ST will nosedive, RS not so much. Dead platforms or previous generations typically have diminished resale values. Remember, according to Ford nobody wants passenger cars anymore.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
The moment you drive this car off the lot it tanked in value.
I didn’t buy this car for resale. I bought this car to drive not to look at.

Sent from somewhere in southwest Oklahoma

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think the FoST is going to continue to tank as it has been since 2013. I think the FoRS will go down but at a much slower rate. I don't think they're ever going to go up in value but I can see them sitting at mid-20's to low-30's like the EVO X has been. At the end of the day, it's a great performance car and it is pretty desirable but it's still just a Focus. Hell, they were going for $10k+ over MSRP when they first started landing in the states but you can now get them below MSRP. I think the hype has died down a lot. I thought it was common knowledge that the RS wasn't going to be produced anymore after 2018 so I don't know why this news would drive prices up any more.

Off topic but I looked up the prices of EVO X's to see if I was still correct about the price and I still think the EVO X is one of the most beautifully designed "rally" cars ever produced.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Honestly it depends on current market trends. While they value will most likely lower I'm curious to see at what kind of pace. The RS is highly desirable, and i would like to think the ST will not be as bad off as we think. Time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
8,263 Posts
Do you think the value of the ST and RS is going to go up, down, or not change since they are no longer going to make them in NA?

I feel the value is going to drop on the ST while on the RS it is going to go up as they made much less and they are more desired.
The RS was not made in North America and have only recently been sold here. The latest iteration is made in Germany and exported to the world. I see no reason for any focus to go up in value in the short run, maybe over time for an RS in pristine condition and low miles.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd like to think that a low-mileage, garage-kept and pristine ST would be worth something in 25 years. Too bad I'm piling the miles up on mine.

I guess gasoline will still be fairly easy to get, but most filling stations will be gone soon, or not the way we see them today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think it depends on future trends. You have to consider where the auto industry is going. Turbochargers were an industry response to government mandates. Hot hatchbacks with a turbocharged gas engine might find themselves in demand if everything goes full electric/hybrid.

Needless to say there’s no real way to know. I’ll be happy if it just stops depreciating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think the FoST is going to continue to tank as it has been since 2013. I think the FoRS will go down but at a much slower rate. I don't think they're ever going to go up in value but I can see them sitting at mid-20's to low-30's like the EVO X has been. At the end of the day, it's a great performance car and it is pretty desirable but it's still just a Focus. Hell, they were going for $10k+ over MSRP when they first started landing in the states but you can now get them below MSRP. I think the hype has died down a lot. I thought it was common knowledge that the RS wasn't going to be produced anymore after 2018 so I don't know why this news would drive prices up any more.

Off topic but I looked up the prices of EVO X's to see if I was still correct about the price and I still think the EVO X is one of the most beautifully designed "rally" cars ever produced.
Theres a couple dealers here in socal trying to get 60k for their RS'.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I'd like to think that a low-mileage, garage-kept and pristine ST would be worth something in 25 years. Too bad I'm piling the miles up on mine.

I guess gasoline will still be fairly easy to get, but most filling stations will be gone soon, or not the way we see them today.
Lets take a well loved sports car that is nearing 25 years and compare. The e36 gen of the m3 is rolling past 25 years, they sold about 71k of them from '92-99. Assume Ford managed to sell at least 10k ST's a year, sales figures and years sold would be comparable. M3's retailed for $38k back in 1995, that's roughly $60k in today's dollars. Looking at carguru's, there are bunch selling for around $10k. If you take a $30k focus and assume the same, you'd be looking at a price around $5k. Sure there are pristine low mileage/rare color m3's asking for well north of $20k out there too and (from the Cinci dealer that always lists rare bmw's for crazy amounts of money) a lightweight asking $100k

·
Registered
25 Posts
ST will nosedive, RS not so much. Dead platforms or previous generations typically have diminished resale >values. Remember, according to Ford nobody wants passenger cars anymore.
I used to think that.
But then when I went to Mecum auctions ... they had literally every car I've owned in the last 30 years, for often far more than I paid for it.

1969 Chevrolet Nova
1986 Corvette
1986 Camaro Berlinetta (No, it wasn't the Z28, but the digital interior was pretty cool)
1987 Buick Regal Grand National
1989 Taurus SHO
1996 Taurus SHO (V-8)
2004 Mustang GT (40th anniversary)
2005 Dodge SRT-4
2005 Dodge SRT-10 / 8.3L V-10 (Complete monster)
2014 Ford Focus ST3
2016 Ford Focus ST2 (Just got, didn't sell, won't sell)

I sold them all at a loss. (Except for the SRT-10, I made some money on that one ... ) Of course with that Viper engine, you could use the fuel gauge as a fan, so overall I likely lost money.

If I had the funding (and garage space) to keep them all, I could retire on what they'd all be worth now.

If I have to confess, the two that I truly regret parting with are the 2004 SRT-4. (Traded it when I lusted after the SRT-10, and I should have kept the SRT-4 ... loved that car) and the 2014 ST3. (But I made up for that with the 2016 which I won't ever part with). My 3rd place choice would be the 1996 SHO. Sort of wish I still had that one too. It was sort of ugly, but a great car to drive in, especially at highway speeds or on a track, such as Road Atlanta).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts