Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an owner of a 2014 Focus ST and this car is my baby--

Randomly inflicted with SIDS.

I've had this harness spliced twice, plus a recall involving the harness. The symptoms are as followed: engine light goes on, Hill Start Assist error/(N/A)

While driving the symptoms: Slow to no acceleration, first gear not revving or working, so having to go in reverse to get some sort of neutral rev, then shift back to one using the revs to actually take off (it's frustrating), random loss of throttle at start up or mid-drive

And just to add insults to injury, the car works perfect randomly and mid-drive it will start acting like this. Vice-versa.

I do not feel safe in my car at all, I don't feel taken cared by Ford. This car was in the shop for a month at a dealer because while fixing the wire harness, they blew my BCM, tried fixing it, and then finally ordered a new one. Then after I got the car back in mid-July, it still had the same problems that magically disappeared about three weeks later, to resurface last night.

I am beyond frustrated and feel beyond backstabbed from this company I spent my long-time savings to buy this car, cash, from the lot. I don't know what to do anymore with my ST. The dealer even tried accusing me of having someone doing a wire job to the car, when they are the only ones who are that I allowed to touch anything under that hood. Before that they were trying to refuse me if I didn't pay a diagnostic fee for a recall job I made clear about, of which on the phone a service advisor agreed saying my symptoms match the recall profile.

I need guidance.

·
Administrator
11,895 Posts

I've had this harness spliced twice, plus a recall involving the harness. The symptoms are as followed: engine light goes on, Hill Start Assist error/(N/A)

While driving the symptoms: Slow to no acceleration, first gear not revving or working, so having to go in reverse to get some sort of neutral rev, then shift back to one using the revs to actually take off (it's frustrating), random loss of throttle at start up or mid-drive

And just to add insults to injury, the car works perfect randomly and mid-drive it will start acting like this. Vice-versa.

I do not feel safe in my car at all, I don't feel taken cared by Ford. This car was in the shop for a month at a dealer because while fixing the wire harness, they blew my BCM, tried fixing it, and then finally ordered a new one. Then after I got the car back in mid-July, it still had the same problems that magically disappeared about three weeks later, to resurface last night.

I am beyond frustrated and feel beyond backstabbed from this company I spent my long-time savings to buy this car, cash, from the lot. I don't know what to do anymore with my ST. The dealer even tried accusing me of having someone doing a wire job to the car, when they are the only ones who are that I allowed to touch anything under that hood. Before that they were trying to refuse me if I didn't pay a diagnostic fee for a recall job I made clear about, of which on the phone a service advisor agreed saying my symptoms match the recall profile.

I need guidance.
Wow.

Well the stealership is the only clowns that have wrenched your ride, so you may have to keep complaining up the ladder until someone sorts you out.

Where are you located?

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts

I need guidance.
Good god, I wouldn't even drive that. They had to have made it worse, right? Or did it do all of that to begin with? This is the kind of horror story rare occurrence that scares me even if it is unlikely.

Wow.

Well the stealership is the only clowns that have wrenched your ride, so you may have to keep complaining up the ladder until someone sorts you out.

Where are you located?
Agreed, send something in the direction of Corporate Ford similar to this forum post, this is unacceptable kind of stuff...but seeing as how it's out of warranty it's more likely Ford will write it off as "deal with it" in a way. God this stuff makes me feel so bad for others that they have to deal with it.

Edit: Also, in addition to what I said already, have you tried another dealer? Obviously I wouldn't touch that dealer with a pole of any size ever again if I were you.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
New engine harness is about $250. You could replace it yourself and clean up your grounds at the same time and save yourself a bunch of grief.

BTW, the recall notice for the wiring harness specifically addresses that you are entitled to a rebate if you had someone else perform a repair to the harness previously, so the bit about letting someone else touch the harness as a reason to deny warranty coverage is fatuous at best. It's also a formal recall that must be done.

FWIW, the TSB that was superseded by the recall had a repair procedure that involved using solder-less butt joints. The recall notice required the wires to be soldered together directly.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't considered another dealer. I live in Orlando, Florida so it's either AutoNation, SunState, or Greenway. The thing is I am now over 45K miles but the recalls and second TSB happened after I clocked over.

This isn't fair at all, this happened in the early part of vehicle life during warranty and now out of warranty. This is crap engineering and practically a lemon. I don't want to think of any escalating avenues. I love my car. I just want the damn electronics to work before I cause a pile-up on I-4. I want Ford to own up to their errors.

Greenway Ford is nothing more than a racket.

I am clueless about reaching FoMoCo directly because I made a complaint about my service at the dealership, esp with recalls and TSBs and the rep was daft, explaining the independence of these dealerships (fair) but not even offering to escalate me to someone because NONE of this should ever happen

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I haven't considered another dealer. I live in Orlando, Florida so it's either AutoNation, SunState, or Greenway. The thing is I am now over 45K miles but the recalls and second TSB happened after I clocked over.

This isn't fair at all, this happened in the early part of vehicle life during warranty and now out of warranty. This is crap engineering and practically a lemon. I don't want to think of any escalating avenues. I love my car. I just want the damn electronics to work before I cause a pile-up on I-4. I want Ford to own up to their errors.

Greenway Ford is nothing more than a racket.

I am clueless about reaching FoMoCo directly because I made a complaint about my service at the dealership, esp with recalls and TSBs and the rep was daft, explaining the independence of these dealerships (fair) but not even offering to escalate me to someone because NONE of this should ever happen
Time to verse yourself in the act of contacting FoMoCo my friend because I'd be banging on their doorstep if this were me, my ST is my current only ride. I also have a 14' with 46k miles almost on the dot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a subforum you could point me too for the harness?

And the recall notice, I can find that at the Ford site right?

At this point I'll probably just take it to another dealer and see if I can use that clause to force a re-do, because if that's the case, then I am the victim of a botched job

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called FoMoCo, pretty useless customer care rep, once more

Called a rival dealership, the service advisor previously worked for the aforementioned dealer that worked on my car, they said best route is to go through them again and threaten to talk to the GM which would get them moving-- which I doubt

I called Greenway and managed to get a hold of a service advisor whose probably a beacon out of that pool of darkness I'm dealing with. I have an appointment set up but I have great reservations about this. The advisor himself is excellent and has pulled strings for me before (which is even the reason I'm upset my car is still damaged like this), but I don't know what kind of techs they got in there. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I took the car to the dealership yesterday,

Same advisor as the one who helped last time, however says I will need to sign-on to the diag fee regardless, and also claims that he hasn't had anybody bring back their Focuses after the job being done. I showed him all what was happening.

I don't get a paycheck until next week, so meanwhile I debate whether or not pay 130 to possibly get railed even more, talk to the GM, or what have you if all goes to hell.

Can I get some perspective from y'all? At this point what would y'all choose to do?

·
Registered
20 Posts

I need guidance.
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I am in a 16 with the same issues and a whole lot more... been having these issues since around 8,990miles and im about to hit the RED on my Warranty.. been *****ing and calling every ford rep i can get on the line.. filed a complaint with the BBB Lemon Law for California and i am currently waiting on a call back from Ford customer care. My Car has been at the dealer a total of 36 days since i purchased the vehicle, most recently it was there for 13 days and when i was told it was ready... it failed on my way home, and now it wont even start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What did they do with the car for 2 weeks? I mean wouldn't they just replace the wiring harness if the first attempt caused problems? Wasn't there a thread here where someone put heat shielding on their wiring harness ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I am in a 16 with the same issues and a whole lot more... been having these issues since around 8,990miles and im about to hit the RED on my Warranty.. been *****ing and calling every ford rep i can get on the line.. filed a complaint with the BBB Lemon Law for California and i am currently waiting on a call back from Ford customer care. My Car has been at the dealer a total of 36 days since i purchased the vehicle, most recently it was there for 13 days and when i was told it was ready... it failed on my way home, and now it wont even start.
Let me know how things go for you! My car has been in the shop for about 32 days in total, with the second TSB/recall job taking 30 days of that... At this point I'm beyond worried about the life of my engine. Oh and forewarning, all this happened right before my warranty expired and here I am with my thumb up somewhere. I might have to go through a different avenue now because I don't have the time and money anymore to be jerked around.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
My advise to you is to call an attorney in regards to lemon law. If these symptoms happened before the warranty was over or even right around the expiration time/mileage, you may still be able to do something. I have seen cars purchased back for much less concerns and even recently out of warranty ( example: car needed engine harness. harness was backordered for 2 months. Manufacturer reps response not to wait and just purchase vehicle back.). This is all in California, not sure how your state may handle it though, good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update 10/24/-10/25 2017

Boy are y'all gonna get a kick out of this.

Took the car in, blah blah, signed on to the diag fee.

I call my advisor after I leave work, he told me the obvious problem, but not the extent of the damage. He said the entire wiring harness is fried and needs to be replaced. After talking with his managers he's going to be coming up with some numbers-- to which I cut him off and ask how will Ford take care of this.

He said it will come out of my pocket due to the fact it was noted that someone had been in the vehicle, unauthorized. Which is major /BS/. Never touched that car, only the dealership put their hands on it. For all the hack of a splice job they did both times.

I had enough, told them I'm going in, getting my car, requesting all documentation, and pursuing legal avenues.

I get there, say I wanna talk to the GM, I'm naturally VERY upset in the sales floor too since they actually wanted me to go there rather than summon the GM themselves.

Blah blah blah, service floor manager and the Service GM took me to their offices, explained they want to help me and that they will get in touch with Ford Engineering, and coordinate between themselves, tech, and advisors. Even if it means calling out Ford Engineering to them. After so many complaints and so many times back, they now decide to find the root as to why my engine harness is shorting out.

So at this point now they're trying to take some form of accountability. This doesn't settle well with me in the stomach though. This has the potential for even bigger electrical problems for the car, and not just for me, for all of us.

I'll most likely be filing an MVDN, depending on what happens these next few days.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Ugh. So sad for this. Especially when a new harness is like $250 and doesn't take too long to replace.

Hope you get satisfaction!

All the best,
Mark

1 - 20 of 32 Posts