Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my Clean AutoDry died (yeah, I had one and loved it), I've had to wash the car with terrible water here in Central Florida. No matter how quickly I cleaned and dried the automobile, it still had stains. When I purchased the ST, I decided that enough was enough and began looking for a solution to filter the water. And lo and behold, I discovered the RV Water Filter. Screws that are in line with your hose (either at the bib or the spout). It is said to last a "camping season," with people replacing it every 3-6 months. We could definitely use it for washing automobiles for a longer period of time, depending on how frequently you wash your car, how long the water is running, and how terrible the water in your region is.
I'm still in my first month, so I'll keep everyone updated on when it stops accurately screening.

The Cameo Water Filter (model# 40043) I'm using cost $14.41 at Wally-World (had to order online and pick up in person... pricing on the shelf was $17+ and they didn't price match). I actually connected mine to the hose's end and then put my nozzle onto it. So far, the first wash has left an impression. There was no noticeable drop in water pressure, and the nozzle attached to the filter operated flawlessly and did not leak. Another Question About replace water Filter

My system's filters need to be replaced, but they're quite expensive. Is there a generic brand I could use? I haven't been able to locate an answer on Google. Thanks! Is it possible for someone to clean the filters themselves?

·
Registered
135 Posts
RV filters are usually a particulate filter and a carbon filter. Not really designed for car wash use.

To be honest, I would spend the money and get a Griot's filter. It's been a wonder, even on my black cars. It's a water de-ionizer as well and leaves almost ZERO water spots or hazing. I still do a quick towel dry afterwards for any contamination that lands in the water during drying. My filters lasted 2 years on average on city water and about a year on well water. This is doing at least 1 wash every weekend during the spring, through early fall.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I tried a hose filter used for filing hot tubs and it didnt work at all...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't wash it in direct sunlight
Use a dry aid / spray wax
when you dry it use microfiber towels.
I use a cheap electric leaf blower to blow off all the excess water then do the above.
Throw that filter in the garbage.

·
Super Moderator
10,256 Posts
This is the filter I use.

I checked that out; with the total disolved partical level of my water it says it will last for 40 gallons. I'd of bought one otherwise.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I checked that out; with the total disolved partical level of my water it says it will last for 40 gallons. I'd of bought one otherwise.
I believe mine last a lot longer because I do it final rinse only and use the pressure washer. I don't use it during wash or pre-rinse. Mine is supposed to not last very long but like I said, on my BAD well water, I can get a season out of it. I would recommend at least giving it a shot. Those numbers on the chart are known to be off. What meter did you use to test your water?

·
Super Moderator
10,256 Posts
I believe mine last a lot longer because I do it final rinse only and use the pressure washer. I don't use it during wash or pre-rinse. Mine is supposed to not last very long but like I said, on my BAD well water, I can get a season out of it. I would recommend at least giving it a shot. Those numbers on the chart are known to be off. What meter did you use to test your water?
One of my hobbies is raising African Cichlids; I test my water regularly using API's freshwater aquarium test kits. My tap water averages 450+ tdp; my well water is even higher.

Fortunately, African Cichlids really like hard water.
Water Vertebrate Natural environment Fin Organism

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,743 Posts
I just wash mine infrequently enough it looks so much better afterwards I don't notice any water spots 😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts