Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Browsing the local Orlando craigslist for vehicles lately, and for every decently priced WRX, there are about ten asking an insane amount of money.

I actually like Subaru, and might one day own one, but no way I'm paying the premium some people are looking for. Can't blame anyone for going new when used prices are this high.

A ten year old Subaru with high mileage is priced right next to a high mileage 2013-2014 Focus ST3.

Jealous of that resale value, but it seems like it's driven by uneducated car enthusiasts. I really like the salvaged titled '02 with knock issues. :haha:

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/6027126819.html

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5997276256.html

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5999419447.html

·
Registered
388 Posts
They definitely hold their value... Especially in areas where there is quite a bit of snow that falls during the winter. I had seen a 2003 wrx with about 115k miles on it and they were still asking for around $19k... Its crazy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could understand out west or up north for sure, where AWD is a hot commodity. In Florida, it's just cause #subylife. ha

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
There are dealers around me selling ANY Subaru for crazy high prices. A 1993 Subaru hatch with 189k miles the other day (I forget what model car it was) was being sold for like 5k by a dealer...and all the other 4 or 5 Subaru models under $6k were above $4,900 and the fewest miles was 189k and all but like 3 of them were above 200k....WHAT??

·
Registered
371 Posts
My Buddy bought a earlier 2000 WRX for around 2 grand, with a good amount of parts on it. Had to trailer it, about to get the trans fixed. (It motor runs just cant put it into any gears) Then it is time to have some fun!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sold my 2005 WRX for $6900 with 183,000 on it. Had no AC, a bashed in driver quarter panel, hole in the rear bumper, fog lights didn't work... Sad thing is, that WRX will last another 100,000miles as I put a new timing belt and rebuilt turbo on it right before sale. Wanted to buy a new WRX, but no way I'm paying new WRX prices when you can get an ST1 for $21.5k! And no WRX hatch!?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Sold my 2005 WRX for $6900 with 183,000 on it. Had no AC, a bashed in driver quarter panel, hole in the rear bumper, fog lights didn't work... Sad thing is, that WRX will last another 100,000miles as I put a new timing belt and rebuilt turbo on it right before sale. Wanted to buy a new WRX, but no way I'm paying new WRX prices when you can get an ST1 for $21.5k! And no WRX hatch!?
It worked out that one of my best lifelong friends (who currently live in Oregon 2k miles away haha) bought a 2015 WRX right after I got the ST here in PA. I helped him with the car buying process from here and he got a great price on a loaded one for like 23k with a few thousand miles. He is loving it, BUT quickly discovered in the stock form you can't bolt a ton of stuff on it because the drivetrain only handles like 300hp he said according to the forums...which blows big ones compared to our platform LOL.

Edit: More relevant to the discussion at hand, my ideal daily beater for work I would get to save miles on the ST would be an old Subie, but those prices..no.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My next car will most likely be a Subaru, but I won't buy a used one unless I could absolutely prove that it was driven normally and had low mileage on it for a decent price...wait, that's called a unicorn. Either way my next car will either be a WRX (non STI) or a Crosstrek. Engaged now so wants vs needs comes into play.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I'm sorry but people that buy these are not the brightest. Its a running joke on /r/cars when a 13 year old WRX with 200k gets posted on CL for 18,500 with the caption "no joyride, babied and not abused".
Exactly. I looked into them not knowing this stupid trend and immediately changed my mind. Not even going to consider spending over 5,000 on a car with OVER 200k MILES when you can get brand new economy cars for a little over double or a used just about anything domestic in great shape for like 7-8k lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Totally agree. When I went shopping for my car I really wanted an STI and I found them overpriced. I was looking at 2009/2010 STI's and they were asking $28,000 for them in Alberta for used ones with around 100,000Km's on them. My biggest fear was spending that much and not knowing how it was treated by the previous owner and if it was driven hard. This is what pushed me to look into other vehicles. I'm glad I did because I couldn't be more happy with my ST. Best choice I made.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Used Subaru prices are crazy.
^^ The correct thread title

It is not just the WRX or the STI. Used Subaru prices in general are crazy. When we bought the Crosstrek, we attempted to look at used ones. First they were hard to find. Second they did not offer nearly enough savings over new, so we ended up in a new one. On the bright side if you buy a new one and change your mind/want something else within a couple years of purchase, you really do not lose much.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My next car will most likely be a Subaru, but I won't buy a used one unless I could absolutely prove that it was driven normally and had low mileage on it for a decent price...wait, that's called a unicorn. Either way my next car will either be a WRX (non STI) or a Crosstrek. Engaged now so wants vs needs comes into play.
Yikes, at least get the CVT WRX before the Crosstrek. I realllly wanted a new WRX, but after driving the ST, it was too hard to justify the crazy dealer markup in Denver.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Last time we went car shopping they were selling cars that were STILL on the boat! "Oh that model just sold" "can we see it anyway" "oh it's not here yet, it's on the boat"

Good times to subaru.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have a chance to buy back my STi from the guy I sold it to. I loved that car but I can't seem to sell my ST. If I could, I would jump back in the STi in a second

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
my gf purchased her 02 WRX hatch in 2010 with 85k miles on it for $8500, good deal. A few months ago we saw a really clean 02 WRX hatch like hers with 178K miles and they were asking $11k....we LOL'd and walked away shaking our heads. But yeah especially late model WRX/STI hatchbacks, because they stopped making WRX+ hatches.

·
Registered
738 Posts
So true.......you'd think there is gold plating on these units. And this has been for years......they never sell either.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you can find a 2008 WRX they tend to be a little cheaper ( no one wanted one, because it was changed by Subaru and then switched in 09) I'm looking for a older Outback to mess around with.
And they can be a little pricey also. Never should have sold my LGT wagon :sad:

·
Registered
483 Posts
The prices of the wrx's are what swayed me to my ST. No way was I paying the ridiculous prices for a used wrx. All wheel drive is nice but I'm not rally crossing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts