Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an answer quick if anyone can help. Looking at this used intercooler from a local guy with an ST has a Levels intercooler but something on its kind of bothering me. Has holes in the end caps, wondering if anyone can clarify for me. He said it works fine and everything.
int.jpg

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I'd assume that if there are holes in the end tank then it's won't hold pressure. If could be designed so that the holes are not directly in the end tank but superficial. A pressure test would help. If you get a chance to inspect it grab a compressor and see if it holds pressure. If that's the case then it's probably fine. If air comes screaming out the holes then you know it doesn't work.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I need an answer quick if anyone can help. Looking at this used intercooler from a local guy with an ST has a Levels intercooler but something on its kind of bothering me. Has holes in the end caps, wondering if anyone can clarify for me. He said it works fine and everything.
View attachment 113033
It looks like it was manfactured that way

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both I mean he had it on his car and was driving it, so I would assume that how it was. All the research looking ive been doing doesn't show a single Levels IC looking like that though.

·
Registered
565 Posts
well you could ask if he would let you test it out first on and off the car before you buy it. but those holes look very clean so its hard to tell

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thats very weird, I agree it look factory but Ive never seen one like that. On the other hand I can give you a smoking deal on a Mountune intercooler in perfect shape with no holes ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok all, I have further clarification. The holes run all the way through and keep pressure. The Core was just manufactured like that as extra mounting points according to Nik at Levels. So everything is good, im just a skiddish when it comes to buying some used stuff.

Thanks everyone for the quick help, appreciate the inputs from everyone.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Vibrant makes Intercoolers with holes like that for a "C" bracket for mounting. From what I've heard; levels uses vibrant cores... maybe not end tanks though. Not sure. But yes, there are intercoolers with holes in those locations. They are sealed. Here's a small vibrant intercooler I have.

hhjjh.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah the guy I bought it from contacted the company and that's just how the cores were made. Checked it out its all good, they are just for another form of mounting. Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thinking about getting a used IC, what should I look for when inspecting it? holes, bent fins? One guy said pressure test is that necessary? need to bring it to a shop to do that or what.

all those are decent IC right? mountune, depo racing, FSwerks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts