Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

So I am looking at buying a used FoST 2014. It was originally a certified preowned from Ford (al tayer) and has done few kms additional to when it was purchased.
Its in warranty till Jan 2019. around 70k kms on the clock. no crash history etc

My questions here are;
1) are there known faults with this model? I've heard that one of the models has a huge head gasket problem due to the material they use?
2) when inspecting the car, is there anything in particular I need to take care of?
3) how does the car cope in stock config (GCC Spec) given the HIGH summer temperatures; I will be driving the car every day pretty much
4) Any after market mods/ upgrades necessary to ensure it will always run fine?
5) anything else you could suggest or recommend? (possibly a garage who can do a really good job of a prepurchase inspection)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Hey All,

So I am looking at buying a used FoST 2014. It was originally a certified preowned from Ford (al tayer) and has done few kms additional to when it was purchased.
Its in warranty till Jan 2019. around 70k kms on the clock. no crash history etc

My questions here are;
1) are there known faults with this model? I've heard that one of the models has a huge head gasket problem due to the material they use?
2) when inspecting the car, is there anything in particular I need to take care of?
3) how does the car cope in stock config (GCC Spec) given the HIGH summer temperatures; I will be driving the car every day pretty much
4) Any after market mods/ upgrades necessary to ensure it will always run fine?
5) anything else you could suggest or recommend? (possibly a garage who can do a really good job of a prepurchase inspection)

Thanks!
1) are there known faults with this model? I've heard that one of the models has a huge head gasket problem due to the material they use? The RS had head gasket issues, nothing about the ST from what I've seen.

2) when inspecting the car, is there anything in particular I need to take care of? Look for inside edge wear on the tires, also rust in the door jams. I've heard of rust issues, I don't have any because Arizona.

3) how does the car cope in stock config (GCC Spec) given the HIGH summer temperatures; I will be driving the car every day pretty much. I live in AZ where it hits 125, no issues with heat. The stock FMIC doesn't fair well though.

4) Any after market mods/ upgrades necessary to ensure it will always run fine? Install a new FMIC, that's about the only necessary one. All other mods are just nice to have.

5) anything else you could suggest or recommend? (possibly a garage who can do a really good job of a prepurchase inspection) Always have a car inspected before purchasing, it's the cheapest insurance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) are there known faults with this model? I've heard that one of the models has a huge head gasket problem due to the material they use? The RS had head gasket issues, nothing about the ST from what I've seen.

2) when inspecting the car, is there anything in particular I need to take care of? Look for inside edge wear on the tires, also rust in the door jams. I've heard of rust issues, I don't have any because Arizona.

3) how does the car cope in stock config (GCC Spec) given the HIGH summer temperatures; I will be driving the car every day pretty much. I live in AZ where it hits 125, no issues with heat. The stock FMIC doesn't fair well though.

4) Any after market mods/ upgrades necessary to ensure it will always run fine? Install a new FMIC, that's about the only necessary one. All other mods are just nice to have.

5) anything else you could suggest or recommend? (possibly a garage who can do a really good job of a prepurchase inspection) Always have a car inspected before purchasing, it's the cheapest insurance.
Thanks for the feedback man :),

I intend on getting a prepurchase inspection done with a garage - should only take around an hour but I'd also like to walk in with some targetted inspection details (i.e. check the head gasket etc)

I guess I'll need to look at an after market FMIC - any indication of what price that could be? Could I get it upgraded directly from Ford?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would say if you do normal daily driving with the occasional spirited drive on back roads, the stock FMIC is fine. But if you plan on really pushing the car, doing a lot of spirited driving, any kind of track use with the car then the FMIC is almost a must from what I've read. But I use mine as a daily driver and occasionally will push it on the road and I have no problems with the stock FMIC.

The head gasket issue was the RS, i don't know of that existing on the ST (or the escape,edge, or fusion) that share this engine

I would also highly consider winter tires if you live somewhere with snow. This kind of applies to all FWD vehicles, they help a lot. But with winter tires on the ST I'm actually really impressed with how this car handles in snow.

And yes, check for rust. From other STs I've looked at and from pictures on this forum I've seen. Most STs are pretty decent but others seem to rust a decent amount. Idk why this varies so much, it was the same way with my last car, a Chevy Cobalt, mine was pristine but others of the same year had body panels rusting off and they were less than 10 years old. So watch out for rust!

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Thanks for the feedback man :),

I intend on getting a prepurchase inspection done with a garage - should only take around an hour but I'd also like to walk in with some targetted inspection details (i.e. check the head gasket etc)

I guess I'll need to look at an after market FMIC - any indication of what price that could be? Could I get it upgraded directly from Ford?

If you do the Mountune FMIC, Ford may install it. But you can get a good FMIC for the $450-$550 range. Install is actually not bad, you can take the front clip of the ST off in about 15-30 min. Their are a ton of videos on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say if you do normal daily driving with the occasional spirited drive on back roads, the stock FMIC is fine. But if you plan on really pushing the car, doing a lot of spirited driving, any kind of track use with the car then the FMIC is almost a must from what I've read. But I use mine as a daily driver and occasionally will push it on the road and I have no problems with the stock FMIC.

The head gasket issue was the RS, i don't know of that existing on the ST (or the escape,edge, or fusion) that share this engine

I would also highly consider winter tires if you live somewhere with snow. This kind of applies to all FWD vehicles, they help a lot. But with winter tires on the ST I'm actually really impressed with how this car handles in snow.

And yes, check for rust. From other STs I've looked at and from pictures on this forum I've seen. Most STs are pretty decent but others seem to rust a decent amount. Idk why this varies so much, it was the same way with my last car, a Chevy Cobalt, mine was pristine but others of the same year had body panels rusting off and they were less than 10 years old. So watch out for rust!
Thanks for the info there.

I Live in Dubai, so its basically just Sunny, Sandy and Hot all year round! Summer tyres should do the trick unless theres a heavy sandstorm in which case ill have to dial it back a bit.

To be honest this car is just going to be my everyday car and spirited driving here and there. I'll consider an FMIC if I decide to take it on the track!

Rust shouldn't be a huge concern; the car is GCC spec, which if I am correct means it has the relevant components for the region (i.e. radiator) and should have some rust mitigating measures... Will have to check that, but will see what the mechanic says.

I had a 2007 Ford Edge which basically BROKE DOWN FOR THE 5TH time in the 1 YEAR ive owned it... never going near a Ford AWD again, the design and transmissions are terrible!!! Manual all the way from now on... also more fun to drive :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you do the Mountune FMIC, Ford may install it. But you can get a good FMIC for the $450

I'll consider the FMIC after the warranty runs out (beginning of 2019), that, or I will check with the dealership whether a new intercooler will void it.

I guess the best action here to keep it covered is to go back to Ford I guess. For now were only around the 100F/30C temps... in summer we have to worry about 131F/55C temp range which is alarming!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts