Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Been hanging around this forum for awhile before trading my Fart (Dodge Dart) in for a race red ST. Active duty stationed it Germany so my ST gets to play around on the Autobahn from time to time and I plan to slowly build it up to stage 3. Already have some big plans in my head and some ideas that I think would set my ST apart from the others... let's just say I'm going to borrow some ideas from our German friends. I also own a euro spec 2007 edition30 GTI so you could say I love the hot hatch scene.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the military (I'm Air Force) or questions about life in Germany. I'm open to answer anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much does it cost to transport your car oversees? Always wanted to figure that out :D
We are authorized to ship one POV. Well at least I am as a single service member. I think those with dependents may only get one as well but I could be wrong. So it's at no cost to me.

I had my Dart shipped here, then traded it in for the ST. I'll be able to have it shipped back to the states at no cost. My GTI I'll have to sell since it's euro spec. We can't get passed that whole thing unless the JDM/euro spec vehicle is 25+ years old.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I shipped a Chrysler 300C back from the Ramstein base area about two years ago and it cost about $1500 to get it to Newark, NJ. Welcome to the Forum, I think your car will be a riot in Germany, I certainly enjoy driving there. I do like your front license plate mounting, I did something similar with my '16 ST1. Did they rebuild the Burger King on base that burned to the ground?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I shipped a Chrysler 300C back from the Ramstein base area about two years ago and it cost about $1500 to get it to Newark, NJ. Welcome to the Forum, I think your car will be a riot in Germany, I certainly enjoy driving there. I do like your front license plate mounting, I did something similar with my '16 ST1. Did they rebuild the Burger King on base that burned to the ground?
Yeah that's what I've heard others that have had to pay out of pocket say. I love driving in Germany and am highly impressed with the ST's Autobahn performance. For being a USDM it seems to handle speeds of 100mph+ for a good amount of time quite well. For my front mount I used a bracket from Craig's custom brackets and the quick clip brackets ordered off amazon.de. Didn't want to drill and wanted to have an offset look.

Hahaha and no nothing has replaced the BK yet. They haven't even demolished it yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Gotta ask how's like running the Auto Gain?
Driving on the Autobahn is a blast. I think most people have the idea it's 100% unrestricted speed and that just isn't true. A good amount of it is unrestricted and thus you can drive at whatever speed (suggested speed is actually 130kmh/80mph) but there is also a fair amount that has an actual speed limit. These limits range from 100-130kmh or if it's a construction zone, and there is A LOT of construction zones, it can be anywhere from 40-100kmh.

The roads are well maintained for the most part and the best part is people absolutely do not ride the left lane here because you can simply get your ass ran over. You can be passing a car going 190kmh/120mph and still have a car flying up right on your ass. People pass and move right on over here.. including myself.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I know memorial day is more for remembering passed military guys, but hopefully you all are having a great day over there! Tell everybody thanks!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
We are authorized to ship one POV. Well at least I am as a single service member. I think those with dependents may only get one as well but I could be wrong. So it's at no cost to me.

I had my Dart shipped here, then traded it in for the ST. I'll be able to have it shipped back to the states at no cost. My GTI I'll have to sell since it's euro spec. We can't get passed that whole thing unless the JDM/euro spec vehicle is 25+ years old.

Thanks for the reply. Pretty cool that you are able to do that and not have to pay an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What hoops did you have to jump through to use a USDM car on German roads?

Zero. We have multiple bases/posts in Germany and of course tons of us own USDM; whether they are shipped here from when the member PCS'd from the states or purchased around here. We have MAS (Military Auto Source) for ordering brand new vehicles and there are tons of pre owned dealers around selling USDM. We can also purchase euro spec cars from local nationals like I did with my GTI. The registration process differs slightly but it's not too complicated.

Edit: ok there is one hoop. We have to make sure our vehicles have the mandatory safety equipment in it to pass inspection such as first aid kit, reflective vests and road triangle but that is it really

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't mean to glom onto his welcome post but sometimes one of the toughest things is just getting a Euro license plate that will fit in the space for an American one. (Disclosure: I am not military, my sister was an air force officer and my brother-in-law is still an AF officer so I visit a lot and get to see how things work.)
As for the Autobanh, it is very cool but you need to get to the more sparsely populated areas in the northeast to really be able to open it up for any length of time. Fastest I got to was 230kph (about 143 mph) in a VW GTI 16V but I didn't do it for long as it felt very light and spooky at that speed. At 130mph you can comfortably do that for hours at a time. I'd love to take something like an SS Camaro with a manual for some drives in Europe, it'd be a hoot (tons of Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers on and near base, always fun to see).

·
Registered
306 Posts
welcome man~! there is a lot of us STs around to include the EURO specs. I'm in the Geilenkirchen area with a 2014 PB FOST. big RS scene by me as well about 3 MK 2s and 2 MK 3s

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't mean to glom onto his welcome post but sometimes one of the toughest things is just getting a Euro license plate that will fit in the space for an American one. (Disclosure: I am not military, my sister was an air force officer and my brother-in-law is still an AF officer so I visit a lot and get to see how things work.)
As for the Autobanh, it is very cool but you need to get to the more sparsely populated areas in the northeast to really be able to open it up for any length of time. Fastest I got to was 230kph (about 143 mph) in a VW GTI 16V but I didn't do it for long as it felt very light and spooky at that speed. At 130mph you can comfortably do that for hours at a time. I'd love to take something like an SS Camaro with a manual for some drives in Europe, it'd be a hoot (tons of Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers on and near base, always fun to see).
Yeah sometimes that can be tough and because we must run both a back and front plate that means TONS of people are drilling into their front bumpers to mount their plates. I had to pull some ghetto stuff to get my GTI to pass inspection because one thing they are hardcore about here is showing it's secure with hardware.. zip-ties, 3M tape.. none of that will fly. I got it to pass and later rigged it with some real strong magnets like the German had it before me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts